40K Player = hardcore? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-14, 05:47 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

I mean why bother labelling people? What is the point? Just because you can?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-14, 05:53 PM

Firewolf's Flag is: Scotland

>> I would have classed myself as hardcore in my earlier playing days due to the fact that all i done was "buy, build, play", with not a lick of paint on a mini. Now, due to having a family and a job, I paint more than I game, so i suppose I could be called a casual gamer, as i only play twice avery 2 months or so. But when it comes to other parts of the hobby, Im hardcore as fook, as i am always reading something 40k related, novels as an example, or swatting up on background. As Dave T said, theres more to 40k than gaming and painting.

------------------------------------------------------
>> This is just an opinion. If you agree with it cool. If ye dont, its still cool.
>> Here I am and here shall I die.
+++ attributed to Leman Russ at the Battle of Rising Fell +++
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-14, 10:34 PM

Can you make a living from playing 40k full time?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-14, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Lord_Aaron's Flag is: USA

Wow. This issue has gotten a lot of response. And I get the impression that people are not very happy. I had no intention to offend. So my sinceres apologies to anyone who is upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
Donning my Moderator Hat: I am not certain what intellectual property you would need to post to support your thesis. If you could give some indications (or send my a PM) I can confirm either way.
Sorry Dave, I didn't notice you were a moderator. I PM Jez and he said it was Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
You can't define something without a definition.
But there is one, from Google
hard core
noun
the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement.
"there is always a hard core of trusty stalwarts"
synonyms: diehard, staunch, dedicated, committed, steadfast, dyed-in-the-wool, long-standing;

Quote:
What IS a hardcore gamer? How many rules do you need to know before becoming one? How good do you have to be at the game itself? Can you be a shit hardcore gamer, or does the definition of "hardcore" include some intrinsic assumption of skill?
From Wikipedia: "They are frequent purchasers of games, prefer to expend significant time on games..."

[quote]
Regarding pages of rules - MTG has (last time I looked, years ago) literally hundreds of pages of rules governing it, but to actually play the game then you just need to know the card types, drop a land every turn, and cast what you've got in your hand. The basic mechanics are pretty easy to understand. I can teach someone to play in about 30 minutes. Is that equally "hardcore" or less?[quote]
I would say that the player can be casual or hardcore with Magic. It depends on their motivations.

Quote:
If you're using money spent as a way of catagorising people, how much do you have to spend? 40 for a starter paint set and one unit? 200 for a 1500pt army? 7000 for a Chapter of Ultramarines?
Very good question! I'm not sure, but I would say 200 for a 1500 point army. Enough to play a standard game of 40k. But even that is a bit ambigious. But still a very good question! Thank you.

Quote:
With regards to your Carcassone example, that is a board game. Not even a very famous one (compared to something like Monopoly). Very few people will play it "casually" because more likely than not, they also have multiple other boardgames such as Settlers of Catan, Race for the Galaxy and Munchkin etc. So if you added up the total amount of money and time spent on the boardgames "hobby" then it might equate to maintaining a 40k army.
Sure, there are probably people who are dedicated board game enthusiasts that have a hundred board games and have studied the rules for each one.

Quote:
And I would have to echo Vaz - what does it matter? Why is it important to create such catagories in the first place? Who does it help, and what purpose is served?
Because I'm working on an article and I'd like to reference another very well written article (about game balance) that uses the terms "casual gamer" and "hardcore gamer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMOB View Post
Also based on the fact that my two brothers "play" about once or twice a month (and for my younger brother I almost literally have to drag him into it), I would say that they are pretty casual gamers (but still gamers, because they still play). I'm not sure exactly what you're going for, but I'm interested to say the least.
Now that is an interesting situation! And not one I thought of. Thank you!
Did your brothers paint anything or did you paint it all yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
I mean why bother labelling people? What is the point? Just because you can?
I never wanted to label. Just work on a definition. But I'm very sorry that I did label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewolf View Post
>> I would have classed myself as hardcore in my earlier playing days due to the fact that all i done was "buy, build, play", with not a lick of paint on a mini. Now, due to having a family and a job, I paint more than I game, so i suppose I could be called a casual gamer, as i only play twice avery 2 months or so. But when it comes to other parts of the hobby, Im hardcore as fook, as i am always reading something 40k related, novels as an example, or swatting up on background. As Dave T said, theres more to 40k than gaming and painting.
Since people don't like labels, I'd say your very dedicated. Then and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny B View Post
Can you make a living from playing 40k full time?
No. Your thinking "pro gamer."
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-14, 12:40 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Not sure how writing yet another article about this topic will help anything. The whole hardcore casual thing is something that really is only fueled by the internet. Take the internet out of the equation and you just have players playing what ever game is the subject. Some are more into it than others but this need to define between hardcore and casual is just elitist internet crap.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-14, 01:48 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Aaron View Post
Did your brothers paint anything or did you paint it all yourself?
My brother actually got me into 40k back in third, and as such as about 3k painted nids. He has gotten few new models, though, and doesn't build or paint the ones he does get. My other brother used to paint, and always says that he should, but he never gets around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Aaron View Post
But there is one, from Google
hard core
noun
the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement.
"there is always a hard core of trusty stalwarts"
synonyms: diehard, staunch, dedicated, committed, steadfast, dyed-in-the-wool, long-standing;
Well based on this, there is no way that everyone who plays can be hardcore...

As I said before, though, I am very interested to see what point you were planning to make from all of this.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-14, 08:10 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

So by your own definition, only the MOST active and committed players can be considered hardcore, because that's what the word means. If you have two players, and one has 3000pts of Marines and the other has 5000pts of Marines then the one with more must be more hardcore. If you're going to use that definition from google, that is.

So even if a hobby like 40k takes a lot of investment (and it does) then it doesn't mean that everyone is equally into it, or dedicated to it. Therefore your statement that EVERY 40k player is a hardcore gamer makes no sense according to the language you're using.

And I'm not upset or angry (just to reassure you in case you can't tell) I just enjoy a good debate.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-14, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Lord_Aaron's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
Not sure how writing yet another article about this topic will help anything.
Because the article I'm writing is not about this topic, but it does use this language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
So by your own definition, only the MOST active and committed players can be considered hardcore...
You make an excellent point. I am going to have to concede.

Quote:
And I'm not upset or angry (just to reassure you in case you can't tell) I just enjoy a good debate.
Good to hear! I've enjoyed the debate too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode