New Tyranids, my first Impression - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Looking at something frailties shouldn't dominate what you think of it. Ultimately every unit in the nid codex can be felled over one or two turns by most armies.

It's like not taking a wraithknight just because they're vulnerable to poison and heavy weapons.

Crones are not perfect, but they still have much potential and multiple uses, whereas the gargoyles cannot hunt tanks, cannot take out other flyers and cannot strafe multiple units and then fire at another. Then of course, two crones is also much easier to build and transport than sixty gargoyles.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 01:51 PM

DestroyerHive's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
I also want to see how biovores work out.
I was also considering Biovores, but can't figure out which synapse creature to keep behind. With the new IB, on a 1-3 they won't be able to shoot at all. Any ideas?

If someone lacks intelligence, than he is not stupid, because one cannot be stupid without intelligence.

If someone reverts to having to complain about your grammar, then you already won.
post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 02:44 PM

returnoftheclown's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerHive View Post
I was also considering Biovores, but can't figure out which synapse creature to keep behind. With the new IB, on a 1-3 they won't be able to shoot at all. Any ideas?
Well, the choices as I see are quite limited really to the main usual suspects:

Zoans
Prime
Warriors

The price increase of primes makes this very difficult to justify, except that it does give the unit access to a 'bodyguard'.

Zoans are too short ranged to spend there time at the back of the board.

So it sort of leaves warriors. Yes yes yes, they get a bad press but it gives you a back field objective holder which can babysit your spore firing monsters. And coming in at best 35pts cheaper than a prime, feel you get more for your buck.

“Insane? You dare to claim that we are insane? I find this very amusing. You see, there is no such thing as sanity. Why? Because the nature of sanity depends on the context the term is used. A man living in squalor may call the rich man insane for wasting food, while the rich man in return may call the poor insane for living off his waste. You slaughter thousands and squander the resources of planets on foolish incursions to please a corpse and his corrupted followers. And you have the nerve to call me insane? Oh poor misguided individual, pray to whatever deity you serve and hope he is merciful, for those who find themselves trapped in the spiders web have little else they can do”

Lord Nerthro of the ‘Heralds of Absurdity’ to what remained of an Imperial scouting party

Last edited by returnoftheclown; 01-15-14 at 03:04 PM.

post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 02:54 PM

NostromanNeckTie's Flag is: USA

I have a zoanthrope, 11 termagants, and 3 biovores all in the backfield behind an aegis defense line with a quad gun. I like zoanthropes more than warriors cuz they're cheaper and you get an extra power.

I am Jack's smirking revenge.
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 03:00 PM

My issue with a single zoan though is the loss of an elite slot. This slot is been fought (mainly) between Hive guard, Zoans and venomthropes. This edition might also see an increase in Lictor use and perhaps even the Haruspex (though really still not sure what to make of it).

So personally feel you are wasting a slot on just a single zoan who isn't really going to see much action. But again my views.

And I've not played with nids for a long while, but I vaguely remember that they can't take fortifications. or have I got this wrong?

“Insane? You dare to claim that we are insane? I find this very amusing. You see, there is no such thing as sanity. Why? Because the nature of sanity depends on the context the term is used. A man living in squalor may call the rich man insane for wasting food, while the rich man in return may call the poor insane for living off his waste. You slaughter thousands and squander the resources of planets on foolish incursions to please a corpse and his corrupted followers. And you have the nerve to call me insane? Oh poor misguided individual, pray to whatever deity you serve and hope he is merciful, for those who find themselves trapped in the spiders web have little else they can do”

Lord Nerthro of the ‘Heralds of Absurdity’ to what remained of an Imperial scouting party
post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 03:06 PM

NostromanNeckTie's Flag is: USA

They could always take fortifications IIRC but the FAQ didn't allow them to fire emplaced weapons. But now that FAQ is obsolete with the new codex. And I feel units of single zoanthropes are better because of their ability to roll for an additional power. Hive guard are still good even though they're BS3 now. I just like zoeys and venoms better.

I am Jack's smirking revenge.
post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostromanNeckTie View Post
They could always take fortifications IIRC but the FAQ didn't allow them to fire emplaced weapons.
My apologies! As I say I haven't played with nids since 6th had dropped and didn't really look at how it affected them properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostromanNeckTie View Post
And I feel units of single zoanthropes are better because of their ability to roll for an additional power. Hive guard are still good even though they're BS3 now. I just like zoeys and venoms better.
Please don't think I'm arguing against zones. I think they have only got better with this edition. But speaking purely from a static zone right at the back of the board, really there is only one power is really helping you and that's catalyst.
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 03:36 PM
Rattlehead

I'd go with a minimum squad of Warriors and a Venomthrope to stop them all falling over as soon as somebody points a gun at you. Aegis Lines are nice, but mass Shrouding makes them so much nicer.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 09:33 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

Why sit them at the back? March them forwards, everything is assault! That way the zoans with them can shoot once in range...

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-14, 09:40 PM

SilverTabby's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have a query. It may have been here, but I can't seem to find it: Someone mentioned using a Flyrant instead of a crone as anti-air, because whilst the vector strike wasn't as good, the twin-linked devourers would give 6-12 shots that would rip apart flyers.

How?

I read the flyer section, flyers can choose to either skyfire or ground fire each turn. Flying MCs however can't. If they don't have Skyfire on their guns, they can't shoot other airborne targets without it being snapshots. Or am I missing something (like yet another rule that isn't where it should be, in the FMC section...)?

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
1) Never give out all the information

A random collection of my stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode