New Tyranids, my first Impression - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 09:15 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Joka View Post
Here's my list of problems I have with the codex that people seem to be glossing over:
1) Only one unit has a 2+ save (and it's not a HQ or a Carnifex
2) Primaris Psychic power is a Joke.
3) AP2 Melee Weapons only found on MCs and Tyrant Guard
4) Grenades where you don't need them, missing even so much as an option where you do (aside from paying for them on a Tyranid Prime and having him join a unit)
5) Still no Allies, nor expanded FOC
6) Tons of really cool Wargear/Biomorph options.... that next to no one can take.
1)so do other books. Eldar only have it on PL's and Dark Eldar don't have it full stop. Not that big a deal really since it's supposed to be a valued commodity. I hope other books restrict it as much.

2)increasing synapse range a joke? It's on the same level as other primaries powers plus it allows slower beasties to control faster units like Hormagaunts or Raveners without relying on wings.

3) most armies have sparse AP2 weapons. Bids have more than most due to the amount if MC's one can bring to the table.

4) grenades are an option on Warriors. A great place if you ask me. If nods had grenades everywhere they would be more expensive in points and then it would lose the swarm factor.

5) I'll give you that one I thought something would be done about it.

6) loads of creatures can take the normal biomorphs. If you mean the artifacts but in every army only HQ options can take them.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 06:21 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Joka View Post
Here's my list of problems I have with the codex that people seem to be glossing over:
1) Only one unit has a 2+ save (and it's not a HQ or a Carnifex
2) Primaris Psychic power is a Joke.
3) AP2 Melee Weapons only found on MCs and Tyrant Guard
4) Grenades where you don't need them, missing even so much as an option where you do (aside from paying for them on a Tyranid Prime and having him join a unit)
5) Still no Allies, nor expanded FOC
6) Tons of really cool Wargear/Biomorph options.... that next to no one can take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Newman View Post
1)so do other books. Eldar only have it on PL's and Dark Eldar don't have it full stop. Not that big a deal really since it's supposed to be a valued commodity. I hope other books restrict it as much.
Drazhar :p

But for Nids, since it's available on Tyrannofexes and Carnifexes, you can take a bunch of those and push MCs at people, like Nid fluff has done since forever. You don't need many T6 2+ save MCs to be really scary tough.

Quote:
2)increasing synapse range a joke? It's on the same level as other primaries powers plus it allows slower beasties to control faster units like Hormagaunts or Raveners without relying on wings.
It's pretty bad - it's nice to have on one or two dudes, but as a Primaris? I'd rather have useful powers than giving all my units Synapse three times over.

Quote:
3) most armies have sparse AP2 weapons. Bids have more than most due to the amount if MC's one can bring to the table.
True dat, and Nids have always been about torrent anyway. You don't *need* AP2 when you can roll a million dice.

Quote:
4) grenades are an option on Warriors. A great place if you ask me. If nods had grenades everywhere they would be more expensive in points and then it would lose the swarm factor.
Warriors are crap, but point on the swarm factor.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 07:18 PM

Is shadow in the warp tied in with synapse or do they work differently, for example, if i have a 24 inch synapse do I get a 24 inch shadow in the warp range?

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 09:07 PM

Zerodyme619's Flag is: Germany

Nope, does not look like it.
They are mentioned as completely separate rules in the Codex.

I've been flipping through the Codex all Weekend long, and so far, I really like it. Just while tinkering with some Lists, I was surprised at how much stuff I can fit into an 1500 pts game.
A little disappointed about pyrovores, but overall, I can only laugh about the guys that are crying end of the world, especially in some other Forums...
Can't wait for some test games =)

Contrary to popular opinion, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'fact'.

All generalizations are false.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 09:24 PM

NostromanNeckTie's Flag is: USA

I also REALLY like this book. The points drop to nearly every unit is something that is being over looked I think by many players. Not to mention Carnifexes are finally back to where they used to be, they're a tad more expensive than they were in the 4th ed. book but now you can take units of 3.

Dakkafexes can put out a ridiculous number of shots, now think of a unit of 3 under the effects of Onslaught. That's 36 twin-linked strength 6 shots at 25-30 inch range. Something not to be brushed off.

I am Jack's smirking revenge.
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-12-14, 09:42 PM
Rattlehead

Hey, don't knock Pyrovores. Their death explosion is now a board wipe :p

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 09:22 AM

I got in a game against the new nids yesterday - I really enjoyed it. Can't emphasise that enough I used my black legion csm list for the first time. It was a good, close game.

The Swarmlord is still evil. The Mawloc doing his st6 ap2 hit on a squad with a wound re-roll is excellent. When it arrives beneath someone, I assume if you hit, you start taking casualties from the centre outward so could that be used similar to barrage sniping? (Didn't think about it at the time)

There was a Trygon Prime, a Tervigon, a Mawloc, The Swarmlord, A flying Tyrant and what seemed like an ocean of smaller gribblies. Most of my force spent most of the game hiding at the back of the board, shitting itself and shooting for all it was worth

It was that lovely moment at deployment (at 2k) where your opponant puts down unit after unit and you're thinking 'anytime you'd like to stop I honestly wouldn't mind'

It was seriously fun.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 11:21 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

With the Mawloc rules for arriving, if you had an IC in the center of the template, and he passed all his LoS rolls and survived, that would force the Mawloc to mishap, wouldn't it? So you could effectively minimise the effect of the Mawloc with careful placement of ICs, terrain and vehicles, allowing the template to only be touching a few models.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 11:37 AM

The Mawloc wasn't that bad against my fnp terminators - it failed to clear a path twice (although it took out my champion and two of my combi melta's). It kept going into ongoing reserves though so it kept coming back.
I took casualties everytime it turned up.
I think its one to use to kill a squad of meq/geq. And with LoS as Sethis said above, try to avoid characters
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-13-14, 12:19 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I can't believe the Tyranid Prime got worse, and STILL can't take wings!

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode