Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Waithknights or Wraithlords?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Mokuren 
#1 ·
So lately i have been seeing people arguing about which is better the wraithknight or the wraithlord.
So obviously the wraithlord is a lot cheaper been able to take 2 of them bare bones for the price of a single wraithknight bare bones. Some would argue that if you get two wraithlords you have more tactical flexibility and not have all your points in one model. But i just love my wraithnight despite is cost (of the model itself and in points value). The effect it has on some players can leave them firing their entire army at it and still have it come out without a scratch. Also the sheer killing power of it is hard to deny.

So im asking fellow Autarchs about what they like about having these units in their army and enemy commanders in what you hate about deling with both models.

#3 ·
Also being a Jump MC is damn important, and adds a lot.

However I don't really think either of them make best use of the points available to the Eldar codex.

#4 ·
My wraithknight has always got his points back. there hasn't been a game when he hasn't been causing serious amount of trouble and the dual cannon always seems to get first blood for me. Wraithlords are a bith iffy for me have had good games and bad games.

#6 ·
Wraigthknights are amazing. Fire Prisms are also good, and I normally take one, but you can lose a fire prism to a single shot weapon at any time. Wraithknights have no weakness besides cost, and I think they earn that. They have superior maneuverability, almost a guaranteed first blood with their base load out (or just an amazing infantry killer with the Suncannon), extremely high survivability, and the ability to take anything at all in close combat.

If Wraithlords had jump packs, and the HS slots weren't so critical, it'd be a tough call... but as is the Knight is too good.

#7 ·
The Wraithknight does add something unique to the army - S10.

However the Eldar army is most competitive when based around S6-7 torrent of fire with various AP values. What can't be killed by that? Only AV13 and 14.

Very little is AV13 at both front and sides apart from Necrons, and AV14 is pretty much Land Raiders and the odd Russ.

S9 AP1 Lances from the Prisms solve both problems eminently well, as do Fire Dragons, who contribute yet another Wave Serpent to the list, which means you can take fewer of the less efficient Troops choices such as Guardians and Avengers to unlock Serpents, and instead get more hyper-efficient Jetbikes. Prisms also have far more duality, being able to cripple TEQs with the small blast, and MEQs with the large. A Wraithknight cannot do these things, has a much worse cover save, and costs twice as much as a Prism. So while people bitch about them a lot online, I think they're a fundamentally worse choice than the others when it comes to building a list.

#8 ·
The Wriathknight also has 2 S10 shots compared to the prism's one S9 (which is more than twice as good for less than twice the cost), and a hell of a lot more survivability, and the ability to tear it up in assault. The prisms have more variety in how they can shoot, but I don't know that you can say they have more duality overall.

#9 ·
Versus AV14 S9 Lance is better than S10, and against AV13 it's the same. Survivability is relative, since the Prism is entirely immune to anything not S6, in addition to many things like Poison, Maledictions and things like Psychic Shriek. However Prisms can take damage from Haywire, and can take penetrating hits capable of knocking it out in one go, but remember its save will normally be a 4+, even in the open.

Wraithknights are not good in assault. Yes, they can assault Tactical Marines and the like, but as soon as you run it into a tarpit unit, it will play no further part in the game, not having enough attacks to win through, and it'll lose vs tough characters or infantry, such as Hammernators or Daemon Princes.

#14 ·
Daemon princes aren't exactly the toughest creatures in the world when you have easy access to S10 weapons and Skyfire. Unless they get lucky and roll Iron Arm and consistently get a +3 or something, so there's the issue that if you're really, really scared of them, you should very well and very easily be able to take them down way before they get your jumping big monster with the pie plates of annihilation.

And even then, a flying daemon prince with armour and at least one psyker level and a black mace is going to cost an amount that skirts dangerously close to that of a wraithknight anyways. But hell, an ordinary run of the mill wave serpent spam can very easily down even a buffed daemon prince in a turn or two at best.

I have never played against a Wraithknight myself, I guess with the sort of fluffy, useless loser list I tend to play my only option is to ignore it and hope he always misses all the time because otherwise my entire army is tabled by turn 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.