Does 40k need new rules for Tournaments? - Page 7 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 12:30 AM

Lord_Aaron's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I find it interesting that the thing they are going to ban at Feast of Blades is actually not that powerful except under certain circumstances (specifically Tzeentch). I love the Grimoire of True Names just for its randomness.Plus on a few occasions I have managed to get a 2++ invunrable on my Beasts of nurgle.
I just don't think GW care about tournaments in the way they used too and events like Throne of Skulls emphasis the playing of the game rather than the winning.
Yeah, GW definitely doesn't care about 40K tournaments anymore. Super sad. Which is why people like the TO organize at Feast of Blades is making a ban/restricted list.
And your right, the Grimore of True Names is not that powerful. Only in one situation with the right units does it create an OP combo. And it's that one combo (screamerstar) that we, the players, need to find a fix for. Is banning the Grimore the right option? I don't know. But it's one option that would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 09:19 AM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Aaron View Post
Yeah, GW definitely doesn't care about 40K tournaments anymore. Super sad. Which is why people like the TO organize at Feast of Blades is making a ban/restricted list.
And your right, the Grimore of True Names is not that powerful. Only in one situation with the right units does it create an OP combo. And it's that one combo (screamerstar) that we, the players, need to find a fix for. Is banning the Grimore the right option? I don't know. But it's one option that would work.
I think it's the only option they have, the other would be banning Kairos but since he's almost essential to any competative Chaos Daemons army because of his Warlord trait and the 1 re-roll that's not going to happen. Imo they made a good call banning the Grimoire as it makes Screamer Star unplayable without hindering other possible builds.

If it were only that simple with the others a simple FaQ would clear the whole balance issue.

post #63 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 10:35 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Niimura View Post
I think it's the only option they have, the other would be banning Kairos but since he's almost essential to any competative Chaos Daemons army because of his Warlord trait and the 1 re-roll that's not going to happen. Imo they made a good call banning the Grimoire as it makes Screamer Star unplayable without hindering other possible builds.

If it were only that simple with the others a simple FaQ would clear the whole balance issue.
You could maybe ban the grimnoir from armies that also contain Kairos? Slightly less draconian than banning Deamon armies that don't contain him from being restricted. I hope this is not a trend as I would dislike this artificial handcap to be imposed in the UK.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

post #64 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
You could maybe ban the grimnoir from armies that also contain Kairos? Slightly less draconian than banning Deamon armies that don't contain him from being restricted. I hope this is not a trend as I would dislike this artificial handcap to be imposed in the UK.
That would be almost every competative Daemon army out there, it's less of a hassle to just ban the Grimoire. I agree it's a fun item to play around with but the guy who thought Screamer star was a fun idea pretty much ruined that.

There are still lots of options for a competative Chaos Daemon army, just not the one that doesn't require brain function

post #65 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 01:27 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

Still not sure but as I am not a super competitive player I would just use a portal instead.

Now flyers are probably the biggest issue with regards to fairness. Does restriction of one flyer per army cause certain armies problems?

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #66 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 02:28 PM

Restricting units is kind of a slipery slope imo, unlike outright banning things like the Grimoire that make certain units absurd. I can imagine a lot of people will bitch and moan when they can't field their 3 Helldrakes. Like I said before, if it were only so simple for the other armies out there a simple FaQ would suffice to fix the entire balance issue.

I'm not too familiar with any of the armies besides my own so I can't really say what could be done to balance their more cheesy units.

post #67 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu_Niimura View Post
Restricting units is kind of a slipery slope imo...
I totally agree. ;)
That's why I suggested 0-1 everything except troops. Your at the bottom of the slope, and it's "fair" to each army.
It doesn't solve everything, and there are other problems with it, but I'm still working on it ;)

Last edited by Lord_Aaron; 12-13-13 at 06:11 AM.
post #68 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 05:37 AM

Actually, I read about another idea the other day. How about a 25% point cap on FOC?

Troops: 25% min
HQ: Max 25%
Elites: Max 25%
Heavy Support: Max 25%
Fast Attack: Max 25%
I think there would also be a cap on dedicated transports (25%?) but I'm not sure exactly how that would work.

Any suggestions? What do you think of this?

Also, I heard how a lot of balance issuess resolve around the Divination displine. So how about a borrowing an idea from the Chaos codex and putting a limit (1/2) on how many powers a Physker (sp?) can take from any single discipline?
For example, your level 3 Phsyker can have only half of their powers from Divination (2) and a third from another discipline.

Thoughts?

Please let me know if you see any problems. I don't have all the new codexes yet.

Last edited by Lord_Aaron; 12-13-13 at 06:13 AM.
post #69 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-13-13, 11:59 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

Divination is not too bad. I find biomancy to be the most potent. The ability to both weaken your opponent and buff yourself with extra strength and toughness can be unbeatable in certain circumstances. But I don't think these need to be restricted. The randomness of the powers reduces this effect unless you have multiple psykers.

post #70 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-14-13, 02:50 AM

Yes, but several of the power builds rely on Divination... I think. Anyway, there does seem to be a fair amount of hate for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode