So, ignoring the eventual FW release for the unbalanced pile of used mastubatory tissue paper that their rules always represent... When running a Pre- or Mid- Heresy Thousand Sons army list, who are the contenders?
Codex: Chaos Space Marines
- Good for "Mid-Heresy" through use of Boon of Mutation/Spawn/Prince to represent random squad members starting to mutate.
- Cheap Level 3 Sorcerors
- Cultists to represent Prosperine Spireguard, or Allies of Convenience with IG.
- Large infantry units with both melee and ranged weapons helps represent the more foot-based atmosphere of the 31st Millenium
Downsides: Large numbers of ill-fitting units for almost pure Loyalists such as Heldrake, Apostles, Daemons etc. Marks are pretty useless as well. Only psychic powers are in HQ slots. No Divination.
Codex: Space Marines
- Completely loyalist list, no "counts as" problems.
- ATSKNF, Grav Guns and other toys like the Storm Raven. Best Terminators/Raiders etc.
- BB with IG for Prosperine Spireguard
Downsides: Fairly boring, with no "interesting" units to distinguish them. Chapter Tactics don't really suit 1k Sons. No Psychic Powers except in HQs, and no Divination.
Codex: Space Wolves
- 4 Rune Priests (Magi) with Divination access
- CCWs and Bolters represents Fluff better
- Mark of the Wulfen for Possession
- Banner of the Wolf represents tutelaries/mini daemons guiding their Marines
- BB with IG for Spireguard
Downsides: Well, they're Space Wolves, people would probably take the piss. Lots of units that don't make sense e.g. Fenrisian Wolves, Thunderwolves, etc.
Codex: Grey Knights
- Everything is Psychic
- Henchmen for Spireguard/IG Allies of Convenience
- Lots of flexibility for unit types, Paladins as Scarab Occult, sexy Librarian powers, Psycannons and Psilencers represented by magical fire etc.
Downsides: No BB allies, everything has a PW/SB which is very counter-fluff, some units and characters make no sense (Inquisitors, Dreadknights etc). Hammerhand isn't very Thousand Sons-ish.
So if you had to make a choice, what codex would you use and why? Do you have any cool ideas as to what can be represented by certain units that I haven't considered? Here are some things I'd like to think about using:
- Hidden Ones (Sly Marbo? Callidus Assassin?)
- Scarab Occult elites (Wolf Guard? Paladins?)
- Tutelaries (Actual units of Daemons? Wargear?)
- Flesh Changed (Possession, Wulfen...?)
- Legio Cybernetica (Centurions? Sentinels?)
- Cults i.e. Corvidae, Pyrae, Pavoni, Raptora (Purgation squads? Purifiers? Sternguard?)
- Prospero Spireguard (IG? Cultists? Henchmen?)