Why is it frowned on to tailor a list against a specific opponent? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-30-13, 03:41 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would have to say I would be fine with totally tailoring your list ,I would and have in the past and if I were gaming to win I would do it again, its totally part of the game isnt it? Its part of war for that matter, if you get knowledge of your opponents force and have the capacity to call up some hardware to help you crush him to a pulp as a general thats your job isnt it? Likewise if billy bob turns up every week with tje same force and you dont make any changes and loose again your not really taking the game seriously,I say if you have the chance to tailor your force for an opponent to help you win you should take it.

as for it being an unspoken rule ?you must have read that in the unwritten rules volume 1

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-30-13, 03:46 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

In a friendly game, just no
In a competive game then thats the point, winning
You tailor to win, tweak for fun

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 01:16 AM

King Gary's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
I would have to say I would be fine with totally tailoring your list ,I would and have in the past and if I were gaming to win I would do it again, its totally part of the game isnt it? Its part of war for that matter, if you get knowledge of your opponents force and have the capacity to call up some hardware to help you crush him to a pulp as a general thats your job isnt it? Likewise if billy bob turns up every week with tje same force and you dont make any changes and loose again your not really taking the game seriously,I say if you have the chance to tailor your force for an opponent to help you win you should take it.

as for it being an unspoken rule ?you must have read that in the unwritten rules volume 1
I've got to agree with this. With no 'unspoken' rules and in an over-simplified example, you turn up one week with a (so called) tailored list, over the following weeks your opponent should then tailor theirs right back and theoretically the process continues, with a back and forth until you have 2 players playing games with some very powerful but balanced forces that cannot be 'tailored' against. That would be the theory anyway. By simply bowing to pressure to build a list that is 'fair' or 'balanced' without knowing exactly what you're doing, you're missing out on valuable learning experience.

If you're playing a game that's that friendly then you should be coming up with some crazy ass, balls out nut job of a home brew scenario or mission or something down those lines.

My Complete DA collection

That's me breathing fire in my avatar, my aim was a bit off to start but i got all those orks in the end!

Last edited by King Gary; 10-31-13 at 01:21 AM.

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 01:35 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

In my gaming group we all tailor our lists to high heaven vs each other, we've actually managed to get quite a fun meta game going on between the actual games themselves.

We have a facebook group to organise matches and discuss things, and we've started dropping fake hints on the units we're bringing to throw each other off.

One of our guys has CSM and Tau, but announced he was selling his Tau off to get some spare cash for his car - the auction didn't reach the reserve, but he neglected to tell anyone that and brought a massive gun line Tau army, much to the annoyance of everyone who'd tailored for CSM.

Anyway, back on topic - i think tailoring is fine as long as it's good natured and everyone is enjoying the games. If you table your opponent on turn 2 then maybe you've gone too far, but if it forces them to adapt their playstyle and gives an even-sided game then what's the harm. I can't see why you'd want to bring the same 'all comers' list every week, sounds kinda boring

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 02:13 AM

whittsy's Flag is: Australia

In my group of friends/players (about 5 of us) our "friendlies" are always competitive. It's how we play. We play to win, and we give eachother shit for losing, but at the end of the battle we discuss how we could have bettered our armies, our tactics and our play style. But the matter is, we tailor the hell out of our armies to win. We remember what we each took the battle before, think if they have anything new in their army (so there is still a little surprise element there) and we make accordingly. Its fine, people who cry about tailored lists need to pucker up.

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

Deathguard PLOG: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129438
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 03:29 AM

notsoevil's Flag is: USA

Recently played in a WHFB campaign. Order vs Destruction. Plenty of players on both sides. Ran a Forgeworld campaign with lots of scenarios, not all of which were even balanced or meant to be.

Each team ended up creating private groups on Facebook to talk about what the other players normally fielded so we could adjust our armies accordingly. Both sides ended up doing it.

If I know I'm facing lots of warmachines, I take the magic item that gives my main unit a 6+ ward save vs warmachines. Why wouldn't you? I know he's asking his team mates what to take against Ogres. Part of the fun to me.

If I know I'm playing against Space Marines, I'm taking more AP3/2.

If I know I'm playing against a horde type army, I'm taking more flamers.

But he knows I know this, and will adjust too. Try to out-meta each other.

To me it is the spirit in which you're doing this that determines whether it is right or wrong.
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 04:07 AM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

As some people already stated before me; tailoring your list to counter your opponent is what makes this game so much fun, if you're opponent isn't a sore loser he will do the same. As I've seen someone mention before it takes the game to a whole new level; suddenly the battle itself plays only a small part in the grand scheme of things as people begin to think like real generals and start spreading false rumours around about what they will be bringing to the table. The greatest strategist will be victorious and it forces people to be creative instead of just bringing more Cheese to the table. I.e. what are your 3 Heldrakes really worth when your Tau opponent has missiles comming out of his ass?

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 04:47 AM

Frostbite's Flag is: USA

Changing up your list a bit in response to who you are playing doesn't seem like list tailoring to me. I generally take all comers, but there's no reason to feel bad if somebody brings out AP3 weapons to fight my MEQ's, or brings along flamers and meltas if they know I am bringing my (mechanized) guard. On the other hand, I have played against people (One Tau player in particular stands out in my mind) who would wait until they had seen your army list, then choose from one of several lists specifically designed to trash yours. That is what I think of when somebody says "list tailoring."

We live in fame, or go down in flames!

This is a game like real war, played against time, and played under circumstances of considerable excitement, and it is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 04:57 AM

Ryu_Niimura's Flag is: Netherlands

^This is what I consider being a asshole, not tailoring xD

post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-13, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Thanks for all the responses. I by and large agree with the sentiments expressed.

I have 3 lists: 1 tailored to fight a specific player whom I'd have no chance against, unless tailoring for him. 1 is an anti-Space Marine army, which includes veterans of the long war, which is totally useless against any other armies, and the 3rd is for everyone else.

I don't feel so bad, because I've only won 1/4 against the Iyanden army I'm tailoring against.

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode