Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Worried about future codices

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Ddraig Cymry 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was assembling more Imperial Guard, to finally push me past the 1,500 point limit, and a thought hit me, and started to worry me. The 6th edition Imperial Guard codex is less than six months away (at least that's what the last rumor I heard said), but what if it sucks? What if my preferred way of using my Guardsmen (mechanized) gets scrapped? Obviously this probably won't happen, but I can't be the only person who's felt like this when their new codex (obviously not just Imperial Guard) is on the way right? How did you guys deal with it and how did your new codex meet your expectations?

#2 ·
I've been playing both warhammer games for 20 years, and I have that worry every time. And Every time I feel like the new Codex is better overall than the old codex.

They WILL tweak what individual units are best, though, and you just have to deal with that effecting your strat... I think it's intentional to make more money by selling all their stock. 3 Editions ago, Howling Banshees were a terror, and this edition I don't think I'll ever take them. In 6th Edition rules with 4th edition Eldar Codex, Jetbikes were amazing. I owned 4 jetbikes. I could have gone and bought up a ton, but I (rightly) figured that the new edition of the codex would switch it up again and I saved my money.

Long story short, your old playstyle won't be completely invalidated, but if it was the "best" way to play the army before, it may no longer be.

#10 ·
In 6th Edition rules with 4th edition Eldar Codex, Jetbikes were amazing. I owned 4 jetbikes. I could have gone and bought up a ton, but I (rightly) figured that the new edition of the codex would switch it up again and I saved my money.

Long story short, your old playstyle won't be completely invalidated, but if it was the "best" way to play the army before, it may no longer be.
By this, do you mean that Jetbikes are no longer the best way to play, or do you mean that they are no longer a good way to play, period?

If the second one, then I'd have to disagree with you, as they have only improved since the last codex. If the first one, however, then I won't argue, as Serpent Spam is powerful stuff

#3 ·
Well i haven't been playing 40k for that long but one thing i can tell you from reading all the old codex's and new is when a new codex comes out they always stick to that armies strength. Like tau is battle-suit heavy and the made them great in there new codex, space marines are all around and they made them great in there codex. So i wouldn't worry that much i know i am not . I play Imp guard as one of my armies and one thing they have always been is mech / tank heavy and have good stuff for them and i doubt that will change. also another thing you should think about is they probably will come out with supplemental codex's for the units {catachan, steel legion, cadian and so forth} just like they have for space marine and eldar and each army unit is different and specializes in different things so we will see all these awesome stuff probably but one thing like i said that wont change is imp guard are and have been always tank heavy and good with tanks

#5 ·
Don't worry about it.

I play blob Guard and everyone said (okay, the 'internet') that blob Guard was 'dead' when 6th edition came along...I still play blob guard. :)
40k is incredibly unbalanced and not meant for competitive play, so just focus on having fun and playing the list you want to play...I am finding that most people seem to play the same generic codex list for every army, so they come to expect a certain list from people and edit their list accordingly...So, if you roll up with a list that completely ignores that you will likely do okay....e.g, everyone brings plasma and helldrake spam and you bring x3 land raiders with a techmarine...suddenly the str7 attacks are useless.
Bring a Straken and Creed list or a Typhus Abaddon list, chances are your opponent wont have anything to counter it. ;-)

#7 ·
I have been playing 40K for 20+ years and I dread a new codex as well. I am dreading the new ork codex in the next year as well. But with each new codex I have found that my playstyle has not changed much. I have had to change units that I take but not scrap the whole army. I play a shooty ork horde army and they actually got better in 6th. Mech orks changed from walkers to more battlewagons and dakkajets. So try not to worry about the new codex you can't do much about it but try and adapt.

#8 ·
At this moment I would be genuinely interested in what new stuff guard are gonna get as new models, they still have some model gaps from the last codex which we are likely to see released bit what "new" stuff will be interesting to see, as for the codex no point worrying at this point, when it lands read it with an open mind and look at how you can shape it to your current play style and then start tweaking .

#20 ·
Will do, thanks :)

Imp Guard can look forward to a new unit or two, or a complete revamp of the infantry who are looking increasingly dated (but then Fire Warriors are bad sculpts as well so maybe not). Maybe Ogryns/Ratlings and the other Artillery Variants and a new Flyer. In terms of rules, I don't see anything changing much. IG have played the same way since 2nd Ed - shoot, tanks, shoot, tanks, die like girls in combat. There's only so much you can do within that framework, which means whatever army you have now should remain viable.
I hope they rewrite and resculpt Ogryn and Ratlings, they seriously are in need of it. Same with Stormtroopers. I pretty happy with what Guardsmen look like (after I swap their heads with some Pig Iron ones) and other than that (Sentinels look alright, but then again I take them as armored Heavy Weapons Teams), the vehicles all look cohesive and nice. Some of the options that don't have Games Workshop kits yet (Griffons being what I most want).

I'm worried for any new codicies of mine on the horizon too. My biggest fear is that my BA army will become cost prohibitive with a new update. It survived the edition change quite well but given that Assault Mariens increased in cost for C:SM, I worry. Of course, Eldar became a much better army I feel with their new codex and many of their expensive units dropped in points. So I find myself with more mixed feelings than anything. But the heaviest weight would be the affect of 6th ed on Dark Eldar. This alone makes me worry about new codicies; except for the eventual DE one of course. I can't see it getting worse.
I've been thinking about how Blood Angels and Space Wolves will adapt after the new Space Marine codex came out, hopefully better than what happened to Dark Angels. I'm not sure about Dark Eldar either, we'll just have to wait and see.

(the more competitive the individual the harder the transition is between codices, I think).
I don't consider myself competitive at all haha This is just the first time I've gone through it and I'm worried haha

I doubt that about the vendetta i am sorry but the vendetta/valkyrie and the tanks are the back bone of the imperial guard so i dont see them getting nerfed really at all same with the infantry. IF anything i think the new codex will basiclly be there same with a few tweeks not much and really the only different is we will get more units and it will be more flexible for armys like steel legion, vostroyan and so forth not just for cadian and catachan but other than that i dont see them nerfing us alot like they do other armys..also you gotta consider they will probably come out with supplemental codex's for us like they have for the space marines
I hope they rewrite the whole Elites section, Guardsman Marbo is really the only serviceable one if you don't use Vendettas. I've heard rumors Catachan and Steel Legion were getting supplements, Steel Legion excites me because that's more or less how I play.

#9 ·
I'm worried for any new codicies of mine on the horizon too. My biggest fear is that my BA army will become cost prohibitive with a new update. It survived the edition change quite well but given that Assault Mariens increased in cost for C:SM, I worry. Of course, Eldar became a much better army I feel with their new codex and many of their expensive units dropped in points. So I find myself with more mixed feelings than anything. But the heaviest weight would be the affect of 6th ed on Dark Eldar. This alone makes me worry about new codicies; except for the eventual DE one of course. I can't see it getting worse.

#17 · (Edited)
I think that Imperial Guard will see a heavy hand with the nerf bat. Imperial Guard adapted very, very well to 6th edition (large blobs of Scoring dudes, excellent flyers and anti-flyer, focus on shooting but ability to fight in combat in a pinch). I see Vendettas getting reduced to AV11 - GW seems to have realised that AV12 Flyers are a really shitty idea, and are moving away from them with the exception of the Stormraven, which at 200pts minimum is at least somewhat balanced. I think the days of AV12 Flyers for 170pts or less are over. I wouldn't be surprised to see the end of Combined Squads, or a cap on them limiting them to 20 men per unit to avoid the current situation of Guard being the best Ally because they can bring over 15 Scoring Units in a single Allied Detachment.

But the heaviest weight would be the affect of 6th ed on Dark Eldar. This alone makes me worry about new codicies; except for the eventual DE one of course. I can't see it getting worse.
:goodpost:

It'll be shame to see the back of Codex: Dark Eldar (5th edition), because it's an amazing book for it's time. If the 6th edition one is half as well-written with the same kind of internal balance, I'll be a very happy man (and you're right, they can't make it any worse - the most catastrophic thing I can think of is Venoms being made Chariots for HQ choices, which will still kick ass). They can't make DE much less survivable, so I'm hoping they simply increase our damage output (make Lances half decent) and leave the rest of the book the same.

Midnight

#11 ·
I was just thinking this earlier today... Reviewing photos of many, many tanks and artillery as I prepare a battlereport and hoping I can keep them in 6th Ed Guard codex.

#12 ·
As bits said, the fact some models never saw a release on the last codex does make me think those I have created myself may be nerfed (Collosus for example - great unit!)
My view is the Guard dex will probably not change much at all. They will get something big (as per all new codex) and I would like to see a return of the unit upgrades like flak armour (but I imagine this will be covered in £30 ipad downloads).

As someone with about 10k in guard myself, I am really hoping this dex delivers. I have pretty much shelved my Chaos Marines after the last lack luster dex they got for 6th.

#14 ·
Well, any new codex will basically ALWAYS change the way we play our army. Otherwise there would be no need for a new codex, right? :)
Play for fun and bother not. or adapt. basically every new codex i've found out that to still be competitive, one should shell out 100 € as an avarage, to cover new models and reinforce neglected areas. This will be true, however, until you have 5000 pts of army. Then you just shuffle the units that you can bring to tourney.

#21 ·
Play for fun and bother not. or adapt.
Yep, basically what I was trying to say :)

Basically GW want you to buy models, they will do that by nerfing certain units and boosting others in the new codex. So if you care you basically have to spend money to make your army more competitive to fall in line with the changes. Or you can just buy several of each unit upto 5000-10000pts and that way you won't have to buy those units that have been made powerful...Unless of course they are brand new models/units that are game changing, then you would have to spend more money on those too...
Either way, you will be spending a lot of money if you want to focus on competitiveness.
I find this strange though, as 40k is not meant for competitive gaming and GW basically state this through the rulebook when talking about 'the spirit of the game.' and the total lack of support for tournaments (Hell, Games Day didn;t even have any games from what I heard lol wtf?). Yet they are happy to cash in on people that try to play it competitively...Think this is why I stopped caring so much.

#18 ·
I doubt that about the vendetta i am sorry but the vendetta/valkyrie and the tanks are the back bone of the imperial guard so i dont see them getting nerfed really at all same with the infantry. IF anything i think the new codex will basiclly be there same with a few tweeks not much and really the only different is we will get more units and it will be more flexible for armys like steel legion, vostroyan and so forth not just for cadian and catachan but other than that i dont see them nerfing us alot like they do other armys..also you gotta consider they will probably come out with supplemental codex's for us like they have for the space marines

#22 ·
I would put money on either a big cost increase for the Vendetta or reduction to AV11. GW knows that since Skyfire = Str7, AV12 Flyers are a really bad idea. Leman Russ won't get nerfed, because with the exception of the Executioner they're pretty much shit anyway.

Something will be nerfed, because if nothing is nerfed, GW throws game balance out of the window and makes it Imperial Guard + Ally Hammer 40k.

Dark Eldar would be an easy transition. Points tweaks and making Flickerfields Shrouded as default would do it pretty much by itself.
Flickerfields = Stealth. Aforementioned points tweaks. Make Torment/Phantasm Grenade Launchers interact with Overwatch a la Dirge Casters. Done.

Midnight

#19 ·
The best way to avoid Codex changes invalidating your army is simply to have 25,000pts or more. :laugh:

Imp Guard can look forward to a new unit or two, or a complete revamp of the infantry who are looking increasingly dated (but then Fire Warriors are bad sculpts as well so maybe not). Maybe Ogryns/Ratlings and the other Artillery Variants and a new Flyer. In terms of rules, I don't see anything changing much. IG have played the same way since 2nd Ed - shoot, tanks, shoot, tanks, die like girls in combat. There's only so much you can do within that framework, which means whatever army you have now should remain viable.

Dark Eldar would be an easy transition. Points tweaks and making Flickerfields Shrouded as default would do it pretty much by itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.