Worried about future codices - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-13, 07:33 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Play for fun and bother not. or adapt.
Yep, basically what I was trying to say :-)

Basically GW want you to buy models, they will do that by nerfing certain units and boosting others in the new codex. So if you care you basically have to spend money to make your army more competitive to fall in line with the changes. Or you can just buy several of each unit upto 5000-10000pts and that way you won't have to buy those units that have been made powerful...Unless of course they are brand new models/units that are game changing, then you would have to spend more money on those too...
Either way, you will be spending a lot of money if you want to focus on competitiveness.
I find this strange though, as 40k is not meant for competitive gaming and GW basically state this through the rulebook when talking about 'the spirit of the game.' and the total lack of support for tournaments (Hell, Games Day didn;t even have any games from what I heard lol wtf?). Yet they are happy to cash in on people that try to play it competitively...Think this is why I stopped caring so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-13, 07:36 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithRaikage View Post
I doubt that about the vendetta i am sorry but the vendetta/valkyrie and the tanks are the back bone of the imperial guard so i dont see them getting nerfed really at all same with the infantry. IF anything i think the new codex will basiclly be there same with a few tweeks not much and really the only different is we will get more units and it will be more flexible for armys like steel legion, vostroyan and so forth not just for cadian and catachan but other than that i dont see them nerfing us alot like they do other armys..also you gotta consider they will probably come out with supplemental codex's for us like they have for the space marines
I would put money on either a big cost increase for the Vendetta or reduction to AV11. GW knows that since Skyfire = Str7, AV12 Flyers are a really bad idea. Leman Russ won't get nerfed, because with the exception of the Executioner they're pretty much shit anyway.

Something will be nerfed, because if nothing is nerfed, GW throws game balance out of the window and makes it Imperial Guard + Ally Hammer 40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Dark Eldar would be an easy transition. Points tweaks and making Flickerfields Shrouded as default would do it pretty much by itself.
Flickerfields = Stealth. Aforementioned points tweaks. Make Torment/Phantasm Grenade Launchers interact with Overwatch a la Dirge Casters. Done.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-13, 07:41 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post

It'll be shame to see the back of Codex: Dark Eldar (5th edition), because it's an amazing book for it's time. If the 6th edition one is half as well-written with the same kind of internal balance, I'll be a very happy man (and you're right, they can't make it any worse - the most catastrophic thing I can think of is Venoms being made Chariots for HQ choices, which will still kick ass). They can't make DE much less survivable, so I'm hoping they simply increase our damage output (make Lances half decent) and leave the rest of the book the same.

Midnight
Well said. I absolutely loved playing DE and I still enjoy them. But adapting to the change initially was like jumping into ice water. All I'm really hoping for is something similar to Eldar Battle Focus but assault oriented. I want my "fastest army in the game" back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
I've been thinking about how Blood Angels and Space Wolves will adapt after the new Space Marine codex came out, hopefully better than what happened to Dark Angels. I'm not sure about Dark Eldar either, we'll just have to wait and see.
I have been thinking more about the BA and SW lately. For the BA my head swims with possibilities. I don't think we'll get a second Flyer. We don't need it and the Storm Talon could have been amended-in the same time the Raven was amended into the previous SM book. As for the other new stuff ... Hard to say. I'd rather get brand new things but would also enjoy the Hunter/Stalker.

As for SW; things get harder. SW players tend to be quiet and accepting in my experience. Those I know have long conceded they will not get a Flyer for fluff reasons. If that is true, they need something like the Hunter/Stalker more than anyone. But whatever they get, they'll complain the least I think. SW players actually embody the Fenrisian spirit of their army, in my experience anyway.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-13, 07:45 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
Will do, thanks

I hope they rewrite and resculpt Ogryn and Ratlings, they seriously are in need of it. Same with Stormtroopers. I pretty happy with what Guardsmen look like (after I swap their heads with some Pig Iron ones) and other than that (Sentinels look alright, but then again I take them as armored Heavy Weapons Teams), the vehicles all look cohesive and nice. Some of the options that don't have Games Workshop kits yet (Griffons being what I most want).

I hope they rewrite the whole Elites section, Guardsman Marbo is really the only serviceable one if you don't use Vendettas. I've heard rumors Catachan and Steel Legion were getting supplements, Steel Legion excites me because that's more or less how I play.

Some more rules for specific regiments e.g Catachans, Mordian, Vahallan would be very welcome. Something like Chapter Tactics and/or unique orders that encourage to play them to the fluff and character of each regiment.
Or even better, something like the Chaos codex which gives you the framework to be creative through the mark system...Something that will allow some more unique infantry types, just to inject some fun, creativity and variation.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-13, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
I would put money on either a big cost increase for the Vendetta or reduction to AV11. GW knows that since Skyfire = Str7, AV12 Flyers are a really bad idea. Leman Russ won't get nerfed, because with the exception of the Executioner they're pretty much shit anyway.

Something will be nerfed, because if nothing is nerfed, GW throws game balance out of the window and makes it Imperial Guard + Ally Hammer 40k.
A cost increase is what I'd expect before altering the armor. Russes already got handed when the 'Lumbering Behemoth' rule was taken away, which is fair in all actuality. Some variants like the Punisher and Eradicator are bad, the Vanquisher and Annihilator are situational, and the Battle Tank and Executioner are both good. As for what will be nerfed, artillery and maybe fliers would be my best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
I have been thinking more about the BA and SW lately. For the BA my head swims with possibilities. I don't think we'll get a second Flyer. We don't need it and the Storm Talon could have been amended-in the same time the Raven was amended into the previous SM book. As for the other new stuff ... Hard to say. I'd rather get brand new things but would also enjoy the Hunter/Stalker.

As for SW; things get harder. SW players tend to be quiet and accepting in my experience. Those I know have long conceded they will not get a Flyer for fluff reasons. If that is true, they need something like the Hunter/Stalker more than anyone. But whatever they get, they'll complain the least I think. SW players actually embody the Fenrisian spirit of their army, in my experience anyway.
Space Wolves really never were that connected with the main Space Marine codex anyway, which makes me wonder if they will get the Hunter/Stalker.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode