Best armies / Army tiers...where do SM place now? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

w0lfgang7's Flag is: USA

Default Best armies / Army tiers...where do SM place now?

Some of the typical army rankings that I've seen lately are listed below. Has the new SM codex been out long enough to rank them appropriately yet?
Tier 1
Eldar
Tau

Tier 2
Necrons
Daemons

Tier 3
Tyranids
Dark Eldar
Dark Angels
Imperial Guard
Grey knights
Space wolves
Chaos space marines

Tier 4
Orks
Blood angels
Sisters of battle

Unknown
Space Marines (next question, are the various chapters all in the same tier?)

“My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps.”
Michael Carpenter,Knight of the Cross
In "Death Masks, The Dresden Files."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 03:31 AM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

I think despite some people's overestimation of the power of Grav Guns, the new SM codex will be firmly in that (rather wide) 3rd tier. Near the top I am sure...Some builds will perform well, but in the end they are still Space Marines: Jack of All Trades, Masters of None.

(Although, in my opinion Tau are overrated...such a one dimensional army has too many exploitable weaknesses)

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 05:11 AM

A friend who plays daemons would argue that tier 2 placing (meaning more like lower tier 3).

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 07:10 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
A friend who plays daemons would argue that tier 2 placing (meaning more like lower tier 3).
And I would argue that they are placed firmly in tier 2, as I have yet to loose with the army.

A list like the above is hard to make, as it all depends on the player. I have a brother who plays Tau, who just won his first match after 15 defeats from the likes or both Necron, SM, Chaos Space Marines and even Orks.

If you're talking strictly tournament I will shut my trap, as I have yet to be engaged in that scene.

(EDIT: Ding 400th post)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 08:38 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

The funny thing about these tier lists is that they don't always make sense. I find that people who play what has been classed 4th tier armies, know the armies very well and can get a lot of wins with them.

As for Marines, I think it depends on the list that is being taken, they have a lot of variables within the list that make them hard to place just yet. It will take a few months for the 'killer' lists to be created and an idea of their placement to be judged.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.

Last edited by humakt; 10-09-13 at 11:44 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 10:06 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Not a fan of lists like these. More often than not the player makes the difference not the army. List choice plays a huge part of course, but if married with a solid plan and a good player any "lower tier" army could face rape anything above it. These lists are way too subjective, as you attest to yourself by putting demons up there just because you haven't lost with them.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 10-09-13 at 05:16 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 11:49 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

This is a very valid point Khorne, and Eldar and Tau being Tier one may be more to do with them being the new kids on the block and less to do with the power in the codexes themselves.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 12:05 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'm in agreement. Maybe in a strictly competitive view this list has merit - I don't play competitive so I don't know -, but generally I think this I flawed. Simply because of the player. People who have been using their armies for years and know the ins and outs of their 'lower tier' army can beat some times easily the upper tiers.

My Nids at 750 - 1000 do damn well against Tau. My Sisters have fun at 750.

But regardless I don't think Marines will get beyond 2nd tier because the are too general. Could be wrong. Though I do think Grav is overated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 02:52 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Not a fan of lists like these. More often than not the player makes the difference not the army. List choice plays a huge part of course, but if married with a solid plan and a good player any "lower tier" army could face rapeanything above it. These lists are way too subjective, as you attest to yourself by putting demons up there just because you haven't lost with them.

Given that cover, missions, and dice rolls all play a factor and are beyond the players control (to say nothing of the generals ability) no codex would 100% guarantee victory for a player.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-13, 03:39 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Not a fan of lists like these. More often than not the player makes the difference not the army. List choice plays a huge part of course, but if married with a solid plan and a good player any "lower tier" army could face rapeanything above it. These lists are way too subjective, as you attest to yourself by putting demons up there just because you haven't lost with them.
No. Give Tony Kopach a Sisters of Battle Codex with no Allies, and give his clone an Eldar Codex, and then get him and his clone to fight each other. The Eldar player will win 9/10 times.

Roughly how I'd do it:

Tier 1
Eldar
Tau
Imperial Guard (with/as Allies)
Necrons

Tier 2
Space Wolves
Space Marines
Grey knights

Tier 3
Tyranids
Dark Angels
Daemons
Chaos Space Marines

Tier 4
Orks
Dark Eldar
Blood Angels
Sisters of Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
(Although, in my opinion Tau are overrated...such a one dimensional army has too many exploitable weaknesses)
Really? They have excellent Shooting and Movement phases (or movement in other phases), which are the two most important aspects of the game (yeah, assault's cool, but not as good as shooting).

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 10-09-13 at 03:42 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode