Best armies / Army tiers...where do SM place now? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I think you have this backwards. Good players can win with most armies. But a more powerful codex would allow bad players to win more often.

The question should be,"will a bad to mediocre player win more with Orks or tau?"
There's no forwards or backwards to what I posted.

You judge an army based on how one type of player can play it.

If an average gamer played all of the armies, against other average gamers, which one would he win the most games with? That's how you create a tiered list, because it eliminates the variables.

Will my Corvette beat nearly every Mustang around Nürburgring in Germany? Sure. Will I beat Michael Schumacher if he has the Mustang and I have my Corvette? Probably not. But the Corvette is still the superior car in every way.

However, if you give Schumacher both cars, what does he win more races with? Look at the tournament winners. It gives a pretty clear picture what the best armies are at any given time. It isn't like suddenly all the Grey Knights players forgot how to win games, and there was a Tau and Eldar Renaissance. Those armies are just better in their current forms.

If Marneus Calgar is supposed to be "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible, but the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: An odyssey in posing, tall scaling and other madness.

The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy

Last edited by Veteran Sergeant; 10-10-13 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-13, 07:54 PM

You are all missing the point here. When you make these lists you're are taking the player out of the equation and holding the army up to how well it plays in the 6th edition rules.

What I mean by taking the player out is that the players are both of equal skill. Be it a dumbass, a casual or a pro, the armies should theoretically have the same statistics for wins or loses.

If you dont play competitively dont bother reading these lists because as everyone has pointed out, a good player will be a mediocre player with a stronger army many times until the point that mediocre player becomes a good/better player. This is just common knowledge to everyone.

You look at these lists and say, "Ok the players are on equal footing, which army will come out on top?" There are some merits to these kinds of lists for players who just want to play the game competitively.

Krueger though raises a valid point that one flaw with these armies are only as good as the mission their fighting on and you'd need to play x amount of games in each scenario to see who is king in each mission and deployment type. Then you accumulate all this data and it should show who is top dog over all. I'd love to see this done as I love looking at statistics and spread-sheets.

Edit:

Might as well throw in my two currency as well and say DE could be tier 3 due to their ability to overwhelm nids. They cant really stand up to the tough stuff but they're definitely not a tier 4 army.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

Last edited by Igni Ferroque; 10-10-13 at 07:58 PM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-13, 02:07 AM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran Sergeant View Post
Will my Corvette beat nearly every Mustang around Nürburgring in Germany? Sure. Will I beat Michael Schumacher if he has the Mustang and I have my Corvette? Probably not. But the Corvette is still the superior car in every way.
You're comparing an American Muscle car and an all around sports car. It's apples to oranges. A corvette is designed to handle twists and curves while maintaining speed, while a mustang is designed for (mostly) drag racing and making that quarter mile time. Your taking the Mustang out of it's element, while putting the Corvette right where it was meant to be driven.

Would be better to compare something like a Cadi CTS and a BMW 5 series. Both designed to be sport sedans with similar capabilities. Most people would say the 5 series is the superior car but the driver would be the main determining factor on which car would win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igni Ferroque View Post
You look at these lists and say, "Ok the players are on equal footing, which army will come out on top?" There are some merits to these kinds of lists for players who just want to play the game competitively.
Except the listing still falls apart when you take different point levels, terrain, and missions into determining which books are good.

Just because 2 armies might with a good amount of games at 1850 points doesn't mean they will be as powerful/effective at 500 points.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-13, 04:01 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Except the listing still falls apart when you take different point levels, terrain, and missions into determining which books are good.

Just because 2 armies might with a good amount of games at 1850 points doesn't mean they will be as powerful/effective at 500 points.
That was exactly my point. To get any sort of statistically reliable result and develop a leader board you would have to conduct a series of games at the same points, mission, etc. As many variables as possible need to be controlled, leaving the remaining variables as army book and player skill.

And if the players play enough games within those parameters, then the variability of the players can be accounted for statistically. Eventually what remains is the quality of the army book.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-13-13, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post

Except the majority of international leagues follow the same points limits. There are tournaments that go for different points limits but the big tournies all follow the same formula. For example, the European Team Championship have a set points limit to compete in their competitions. Its one of the biggest, if not the biggest European league, so armies could be judged by that standard in Europe. The same can be done for other major tournaments in other continents.

The end of the first post covers different scenario's. You just need to do the research and then you can list these army's with much more certainty who will do better at what and who is much more versatile.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode