Am I too old, are there others like me? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

raven_jim's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Am I too old, are there others like me?

I'm 29 years old and I have rekindled my love for 40k. The stress of work and family life made me turn to 40k mainly for painting as I find it relaxing. After a bit of commissioning work I decided to collect my own army and I really want to play a game....

However I am 29! I have family and work, and I find it a bit embarrassing that I want to collect and play at this age, I haven't even told my girlfriend or anyone for that matter that i collect...

Am I the only one out there who:

1. Is a bit embarrassed with himself wanting to play and paint
2. Is put off by the very young gamers out there

I want to hear other people stories and 40k confessions, I would be reassured if there were other secret geeks like me out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:39 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I turn 36 on Tuesday, I have a wife, a 10 year old daughter and another due next month. I started 40k a month before my join date here.

Your hobbies are yours to do as you wish. This hobby is a lot less destructive, expensive, odd, ect ect, than others you could choose.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:40 AM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

I'm 25 (nearly 26).

My gaming circle is about 5 people, they are all older than me. One just in his 40s and the other 2 are late 20s early 30s.

I have found that being older allows me to enjoy the game, I know GW focuses a lot on younger players but I think the games are designed for older people.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:45 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I am 29 and I started collecting and playing again a year ago. I have a fulltime job, a house, a rockband, a girlfriend, the works. So you are far from alone.

There is absolutely no shame in having a hobby such as wargaming. As long as you don't seem embarrased about it, noone else around you will be. They will only poke you, if they detect that even you are ashamed of it.

Stand tall, stand proud - Enjoy the hobby if you truly do. Don't let anyone else tell you what is acceptable at your age and what isn't. People have more respect for one who stands up for his hobbies and his choices, than one that scurries away and tries to hide his true passions.

You have a hobby that you enjoy. Enjoy it. Be awesome.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

raven_jim's Flag is: United Kingdom

Nordicus - Best response ever

I think the question is finding a gaming circle my own age, I think the embarrassment is not knowing gamers my age, I'd like to play with people over a drink with some banter. How did you come across older gamers?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:56 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_jim View Post
How did you come across older gamers?
Truth be told, it was a combination of two things: A gaming club in my hometown and my closest friends.

The gaming club is pretty straight forward. I went there a couple of gamenights, just to observe and get to know the crowd. I saw a few games, saw how people interacted and went from there. If you say that you're new and that you want to learn, people are usually very open and welcoming. Everyone wants more players!

The second part was actually because of my passion. 2 of my closest friends now play Warhammer 40k too, because they saw how much I enjoyed it. I talked about it, explained it and they got smitten. Now they both collect and we all learned the game together.

There are many ways to get a gaming group. But if you have the chance to get to a gaming club in your near vicinity, it's always a great place to start.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 10:58 AM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

2 of the blokes I play with used to work at my local GW and I stayed in touch when they left, then the other 3 were friends of theirs.

Gaming clubs can be a good place to look, there are usually a few older gamers there.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 12:58 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

There is no shame in gaming. I'm 41, am married, have a son in college and still find time to do Wargaming. Considering the man who brought me into this hobby (my dad, whom I played WRG and Ral Partha ancients with starting from about the age of 3 or so) just turned 65 this year and still games...you are never too old.

No one would give you crap at 29 for being an avid video gamer and seriously no one should give you crap about being a wargamer. Like Nord said above, if you act like the hobby is a shameful one then people will react accordingly.

As for younger gamers, they need older players to help guide and show them what good gaming/painting/modelling is and if you really don't want to play against them I am sure you can find a club or group of older gamers to hang around with.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 01:08 PM
The Tinkerer

Wookiepelt's Flag is: United Kingdom

29?!? I'll be 42 shortly and having only just gotten back to this in January, I'm having the time of my life, especially when I'm battling my 7 year-old son and 10 year-old daughter at home on the weekends after they finish all their homework!!!

BTW, you're never to old to tap into your imaginative and creative side!

Don't leave us engineers with too much free time on our hands...
we WILL tinker around and build something!!!

Wookie's Wolfies - A Space Wolves Project Log
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-13, 02:00 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

I am 34 been playing pretty much non stop since second. When I was stationed at the Ft Campbell you could walk into the local shop and see a group and the meanest son of a bitches all gathered around a table pew-pewing with their little plastic toys. Anyone who honestly has an issue with you mini Wargaming probably needs to eat a dick. Now of course expect some ribbing from friends.

I usually get teased by some friends light heartily then I show them some of the things I have painted. Normally shuts them up quick enough.

Last edited by Djinn24; 10-07-13 at 02:02 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode