On the Proliferation of Giant Robots - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Default On the Proliferation of Giant Robots

Over the last few years and the last few releases, we have seen a growing number of "giant robot"-type monstrous creatures enter many armies - Grey Knights' Nemesis Dreadknights, Tau Riptide Battlesuits, Eldar Wraithknights, and most recently, the Space Marine Centurions. But these four armies already possess options for walkers - Dreadnoughts, Wraithlords, and Crisis/Broadside/Hazard suits, so what gives? Is it because of a perceived ineffectiveness of these walkers that these new MC Walkers are being released?

I'm sure this is a question with an obscenely simple answer, but nevertheless, I am interested in seeing what people think of the situation. I am very green when it comes to TT crunch, so any help is appreciated.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 06:57 AM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

For da money's
I wondered the same with grav guns, just why?

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 07:13 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Money pure and simple, it's the "ohhhh shiny" factor GW was going for (and while they achieved withe Wraith Knight and to a certain extent with the Riptide they failed miserably with the Dreadknight and Centurions imho). None of the armies needed them.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 07:29 AM

Its Rumble's Flag is: USA

The owner of my hobby shop tonight put it nicely. Big models make big money.

Squad Broken
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 07:35 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

GW don't create things for game balance, or to fill gaps, they create things for 1 purpose, money, you take a kit which costs 10 in production costs and charge 50 for it, and you get money

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente
you take a kit which costs 10 in production costs and charge 50 for it, and you get money
Sure the one kit costs $10 to produce, but the mold costs and easy $10k, and the machine another $45k (cause your likely not gonna buy used), plus the space requirment, and the training/installation, and the energy cost. Initially, and likely talking in the first year given GW's international market, that high price tag is to offset the initial cost of the new unit; its not all profit right away no matter how you want to slice it. I'm sure adding in the grav weapons to the tactical squad kit alone cost them a couple grand per mold (since the mold might have to be redesigned.)

As for why the big walkers? Well the wraithknight is just a bigger wraithlord for the most part, the riptide was just the next logical step for the Tau, centurions aren't really big walkers just slightly bigger exosuits that go on top of regular armour, and the dreadknight is beyond me.

Also more money, because they are fairly, if pricey, useful units for the most part.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 07:57 AM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

Yeah, that's why GW charge 50 for a model when other companies (who have to do the exact same thing) charge 15, bullshit I say.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 08:02 AM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

But the suits arent fluffy at all, which is what peeves off me, centurions are apparently for close quarters *cough termies cough*
wraith lord was big in all but model size- the wraith knight took the biscuit, and it's not even true wraith, it's more in line with the titans as it as a living pilot.
Riptide, everyone wanted a bigger suit, but it takes away the crisis plasma suits thunder in every possible way, and the new ionhead wouldve done the job fine, but less OP
Dreadknight, meh

Anything else?

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 10:29 AM

SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom

Maybe GW thought Manga and the Hollywood films have loads of giant mecha robots and they are just jumping on the band wagon.

That and the monies. Make every collector buy a 50 model and watch the pennies flood in.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-13, 10:53 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Money is the driving factor, of course, but there is also the need for evolution of the races. If the new codexes came out with no new units in them we'd be giving out as well. It's always nice to see updated models for old units, but new units must be added to armies to keep them fresh and interesting. And to add new units the only way to go was bigger, as pretty much every other niche was filled.

Yes there are bigger robots than ever, but we've also seen the introduction of flyers as well. Both have added a new dimension to the game, for good or ill, and IMO anything that moves the system forward and stops it stagnating is a good thing.

But yes, it's primarily about the money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode