Successor Chapter Geneseeds - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 08:17 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
That doesn't mean it needs to be kept secret from us though imo, they could just say the imperium doesn't know but the chapter itself believes itself to be the descendant of blah blah's geneseed and because of this...etc etc..
That does happen. The Angels of Vigilance believe that they're descendants from Dark Angels, however the Dark Angels aren't so sure, and no one really knows. Again, this is intentional for custom fluff's sake. I suppose this whole thing is left up to personal taste really, I like the mystery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well, I'd adjust the army to resemble what they are supposed to be like. That's just me though, I don't expect others to be as ok with it of course.

I dunno I think I just like definitive answers and set lore, I have problems making my mind up a lot irl and so I like things to be clear and concise, I guess I'm mental or something.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 08:22 PM

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
I dunno I think I just like definitive answers and set lore, I have problems making my mind up a lot irl and so I like things to be clear and concise, I guess I'm mental or something.
Eh, not everyone's the same when it comes to this stuff. Don't sweat it.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-20-13, 08:57 PM

Chaplain-Grimaldus's Flag is: England

Play it safe. Make your own chapter.

W-L-D
Dark Angels 5th Coy 1.5k - 0-0-0
Vampire Counts 1k - 1-1-0
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-13, 03:58 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I named my Blood Angel successors the "Blood Templars" some time ago. But I recently learned that the "Templars of Blood" is an established chapter. And while little is known of them, like my chapter, their color scheme is different and they treat their Death Company in the exact opposite way that my chapter does. (Of course, that makes them really cool.) So, yes, I would prefer less be known about the Chapters. Of course, I need only pick a new name.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-13, 06:25 AM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
I named my Blood Angel successors the "Blood Templars" some time ago. But I recently learned that the "Templars of Blood" is an established chapter. And while little is known of them, like my chapter, their color scheme is different and they treat their Death Company in the exact opposite way that my chapter does. (Of course, that makes them really cool.) So, yes, I would prefer less be known about the Chapters. Of course, I need only pick a new name.
According to the old Insignium Astartes book, at the founding of their chapters, Chapter Masters try not to copy the name and heraldry of other chapters, but given that there's 1,000 chapters out there, it's very easy to do something like that unwittingly, and so they usually up and create their own (pg. 36). So it is possible for you to keep the "Blood Templars" name even in the face of there being a similarly-named chapter. Not every Chapter Master is a fount of imagination!

That said, I fear the day when GW decides to use the name "Stormhunters" for some random fuckoff chapter...

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10

Last edited by Protoss119; 08-21-13 at 06:29 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-13, 07:58 AM

I doubt we will see Bellator Aráneam (Spider Warriors) any time soon :p

W-L-D
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-13, 02:43 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss119 View Post
That said, I fear the day when GW decides to use the name "Stormhunters" for some random fuckoff chapter...
As long as they use 4x4's instead of Rhino carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-13, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
'um...' What? It's a fact the Adeptus Mechanicus mixes with new geneseed samples all the time. Take the 21st founding, also called the 'Cursed Founding' because of all the things that have gone wrong with the gene-seeds made at this time, such as the Black Dragons bony growths, and the Fire Hawks (now the Legion of the Damned) that had/have a nasty habit to spontaneously combust.
Um... O_o

You've got some errors in your fluff and math.

First, There have been 25 Foundings (the First doesn't really count). 1/25 Foundings with gene seed that was "experimented on" is hardly "all the time", nor is it "most". "Most" Chapters are founded using a single gene seed type. To the point that it has been stated, for going on twenty years almost, that nearly 2/3rd are Ultramarines descended alone. 60-65% is "most". It would be accurate to say "Most Chapters are Ultramarines." We'll use 63%.

That leaves roughly 36.999% to be split up among the other original legions, the Spwolves being that .001% since they don't have any successful successors. So that's 37% split between 7 Legions, it leaves approximately 6% of Chapters descended from each one. Now, we know that's not the case. The Salamanders are significantly lower. The Blood Angels and Dark Angels are lower too. Blangels because of the Black Rage, and Dangels because apparently nobody trusts them. Any "Unknown" or theoretically "mixed" Chapters comes out of this same pool.

Either way, 1/25 Foundings was "Dark" and they don't know, that's a max of 4% but highly unlikely that it is all. 1/25 Foundings "Cursed" where some experiments were made, another 4%. However, we know that of the seven named 21st Founding Chapters, two were single geneseed, and zero were hinted as being mixed, so again, significantly less than 4%. But then we look at the numbers. If even 8% of Chapters were mixed, that means there is only 29% left to split between the 7 other SM Legions. Averaging out to just over 4%. Kinda hard to believe that there are more "mixed" gene seed Chapters possible than non-mixed gene seed chapters. Especially since nearly two thirds are verified as single-source, and Chapters like the White Scars have no known flaws similar to the Ultramarines.

The reality is, there are less examples than a one armed man has fingers of Chapters who have ever been said to have "mixed" gene seed. A fully limbed person will still have digits left over after counting the number of chapters GW has even hinted at possiblybeing of mixed gene seed. There's enough wiggle room in the fluff that the idea of mixed gene seed experiment chapters isn't impossible.

But "most third and other founding chapters have mixed geneseed" is flat out wrong, which is why he got the O_o face. And the idea that the AdMech mixes gene seed "all the time" is fairly silly, especially if you want to use that argument to refute the O_o face, lol.

Second, the Flame Falcons burst into flames. The Fire Hawks just disappeared into the Warp. It's a small point though.

If Marneus Calgar is supposed to be "one of the Imperium's greatest tacticians" and he treats the Codex like it's the War Bible, but the Codex is garbage, then how bad is everyone else?

True Scale Space Marines: An odyssey in posing, tall scaling and other madness.

The Brief and Humorous History of the Horus Heresy
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-13, 07:25 PM

I wouldn't say all the time but I think it happens a little more often than we give it credit for. Though I'm not suggestion it's rampant.

The legion thing is interesting. The space marine battles novel with them in suggests they are the ghosts of astartes as does one of the ultramarine stories.

W-L-D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode