Why all the hate - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

dkoz's Flag is: USA

Default Why all the hate

I don't understand why people hate flyers so much, they claim 40K is no place for flyers, and that they have ruined the game, can some one explain it to me? I see them as just another unit that once all the codexs are updated wont have that big of an advantage.

Suffice to say that the concept of glory is wasted on the inglorious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 11:52 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I personally enjoy flyers in the game. It adds a new dimension to the game, and some of the models look great. Some of them seem overpowered, but once more armies have decent anti air capability it will be fine.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 11:59 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

People always respond with hate to new stuff, that they have a hard time countering. It's simply a new dimension to the game that people have to get used to

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 12:20 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
Some of them seem overpowered, but once more armies have decent anti air capability it will be fine.
I think this is issue, not every army has got them yet and even some armies that have got flyers still don't have a decent anti-flyer that isn't a flyer itself if you know what I mean.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 12:20 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by humakt View Post
I personally enjoy flyers in the game. It adds a new dimension to the game, and some of the models look great. Some of them seem overpowered, but once more armies have decent anti air capability it will be fine.
Exactly this. New fliers and anti-air are trickling in, and the balance is starting to level out.

I personally dont like them however, and its not from a power level standpoint. I have a Raven and Talon and dont even use them. I like boots on the ground, not relying on something to come in at the right moment, and then doing slight turns hoping to line it up with targets. My BS5 Tank Hunting TDA Marshall with CML x2 Command Squad is more than enough to deal with fliers
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 12:37 PM
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
I think this is issue, not every army has got them yet and even some armies that have got flyers still don't have a decent anti-flyer that isn't a flyer itself if you know what I mean.
Until that is fixed, they can always grab a Aegis Defense Line for that backup anti-air
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 12:42 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Several reasons.

1. BS doesn't matter. BS2 is just as good at hitting flyers as BS9. That means that previously effective units (Devs) are now less good compared to things like Lootas or IG HWTs. This unbalances the game in favour of low-BS high-volume firepower, especially when twin linked because in most books such firepower was balanced against each other. For example, completely hypothetically, a BS4 Missile Launcher was worth 20pts, and a BS2 Missile Launcher was worth 10pts. Against Flyers, you're far better taking two BS2 Launchers and getting double the shots.

2. They can often mean that there is only one or two units on the table that can effectively engage them - leaving the rest of the army in the cold if there is nothing but Flyers on the table. For example, if I have 10 Lootaz and 60 Boyz, 2 Trukks, a Battlewagon with some Nobz in it, and a unit of Killa Kanz, and I play against someone with almost his whole army in Flyers, I only have one unit that can actually have a meaningful effect on the game. This is boring and not-fun for me. It also means he only has to kill that one unit in order to fly around completely uncontested.

3. It reduces army choice. Because Flyers are such a powerful force, you MUST take them into account when writing a competitive army list. To do this, you MUST take at least one, if not more, of the following options:

A. A Quad Gun
B. Your own Flyer with anti-Flyer capable weapons
C. Your own ground unit with effective anti-flyer capability

For reasons best known to themselves, GW has yet to really print any unit that fits into catagory C in a new codex. The three most dominant flyers are AV12, AV12 and AV11. GW seems to think that single-shot S7 weapons are a good answer to that. Such a good answer, in fact, that they want you to pay 10pts per missile launcher in order to gain access to it. Hence we have the extremely laughable Flakk-Walker from the Eldar codex which clocks in at about 100pts for two S7 shots on an AV10 Open Topped 2HP platform.

When a Heldrake costs 170pts. Uh-huh.

Realistically this means that every single army has a Quad Gun, and probably their own flyers as well. Which is boring.

4. Finally, some of them are just damn overpowered for their points. I'd call Scythes, Drakes and Vendettas such. Different reasons for each one, but mainly the firepower they put out, the movement speed they have, and their survivability means every army that has access to them, should probably take them in spades. And overpowered units are never popular.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 12:50 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Until that is fixed, they can always grab a Aegis Defense Line for that backup anti-air
They can yes but since there is only one mini for it and it's Imperial centric I imagine this puts some people if using it.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 01:38 PM
Herald of The Warp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
They can yes but since there is only one mini for it and it's Imperial centric I imagine this puts some people if using it.
There's also a Necron themed one, that is available:
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/cyborg-defense-line

Oh and a Chaos one:
http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/fortif...s-defense-line
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 01:50 PM
blahblahblahblah

Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire

I just think fliers are boring and look stupid (who the fuck has ever seen a fighter flying 6" off a battlefiled making 90 degree turns on the spot?) and turn players into massive cock headed retards

"OHMAHGERD FLIERS!!!!!, I NEED FLEYERS, DO YOU HAZ FLIRS, OHMAHGERD YOU NO HAZ FLYIRS YOU SUCK, EVERYONE SOOK YOU MUST HAVE FLIYIRERS YOU NOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!!"

And the amount of bitching flier heavy players do when you tell them "no you cannot fly into that cave stop being dumb"
"OHMAGERD YOU SOOOO STIPUD, FLIVVER GO CAVE ZOOM ZOOMS"

Last edited by Stella Cadente; 08-06-13 at 01:53 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode