Legion of the Damned Count As - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Meat_Cleaver's Flag is: USA

Default Legion of the Damned Count As

Many of us have that certain model or squad that drew us into 40k. For me it the Legion of the Damned during 3rd edition. I really like their ascetic as well as fluff. Ever since then I've always wanted to do an army of the Legion. I even remember there being an army list for them in White Dwarf in an article that also had rules for Minotaurs, Black Dragons, and other "cursed" chapters. The good old days...

Anyway, if I were to do a Legion of the Damned count as army what would the best list to use? I don't want to use Space Marines since fielding max amounts of actual LotD would be really weak. Maybe the SM book will be better.

The only thing I thought would work be a GK Purifier list. The fire psychic power would fit as well as being elite marines. It still seems like a stretch though. Any ideas?

Power gamer, avid converter, and fluff enthusiast.

Check out my Alpha Legion Plog!
Check out my Daemon (40k) Plog! (Coming soon)
Check out my Rouge Trader Mercenaries Plog! (Coming soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 06:19 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Given the macabre nature of Legion of the Damned I'd be looking darker than GK Purifers.

CSM Thousand Sons might fit. They can have a 4+ invul which is close-ish to the LotD 3+, they are also Slow and Purposeful like LotD, they too are Fearless. Inferno Bolts are bloody good and their much larger squad size kinda fits with the LotD feel as well IMO.

For me 1k sons would be a pretty close rules fit for the LotD.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 07-17-13 at 06:27 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 01:49 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Admittedly I know nothing about the LotD, so I can't help you out there, but I will say be careful trying to build Magpie's list above... speaking from the Thousand Sons route, they're very expensive for not alot of return, and I say that trying so very very hard to be a die hard Thousand Sons person.

However, and this might be a radical idea... if you want something kind of slow and ghostly, why not Necrons? I've actually considered the same thing for my Thousand Sons; an Immortal has the same statline as a Space Marine, and while they don't have saves you could give a 'sergeant' a resurrection orb to give them a 4+ stand up save instead. Their slow nature then becomes seen in their initiative as well.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

1000k Sons was actually the first army I considered using for the LotD. They do match pretty well, but I feel the CSM list doesn't have much else to offer that would fit.

Necrons seem to be a pretty good choice, especially since I wanted my LotD to look extra decrepit and zombish. There even used to be a LotD special character who carried a skull that could resurrect fallen Legionaries. I'm not sure what else I could use from the list. Maybe a ghostly wrecked Rhino or Stormtalon for a Ghost Ark or Nightscythe?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-13, 03:27 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Certainly Necron have a great undead feel to them.

Does the LotD actually have all that much in the way of supporting arms? I had always thought they were simply the few survivors of a chapter that had basically lost everything.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-13, 12:39 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

You could use codex space marines, with a counts as Vulkan as your commander, that way all your flamers and melta guns would be twinlinked, which would tie in nicely with the LoD choice of weaponry...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-13, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Cleaver View Post
1000k Sons was actually the first army I considered using for the LotD. They do match pretty well, but I feel the CSM list doesn't have much else to offer that would fit.

Necrons seem to be a pretty good choice, especially since I wanted my LotD to look extra decrepit and zombish. There even used to be a LotD special character who carried a skull that could resurrect fallen Legionaries. I'm not sure what else I could use from the list. Maybe a ghostly wrecked Rhino or Stormtalon for a Ghost Ark or Nightscythe?
Again, things that I was pondering for my own Thousand Sons army;

Tomb Stalkers could be fitting Dreadnought roles; both are walkers with access to decent weapons. No S10 Fist, however.
Tomb Blades are pretty much the perfect fit in for Space Marines on Jetbikes.
Destroyers, while they dont look it, are Jump Infantry now, so technically you could have a Jump Pack Marine carrying a large heavy weapon.
Night Scythes would make interesting conversions off of Stormravens (something I'm working on for my Adeptus Mechanicus army), while Doom Scythes could be heavy Stormtalons.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-13, 04:29 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
an Immortal has the same statline as a Space Marine, and while they don't have saves
Eh? Immortals have a 3+ save. Or did you mean they don't have an invulnerable save? My vote definitely goes for a Necron list. Resorbs in a squad of immortals definitely has a LotD feel to it.

This says the LotD have rules in the Apocalypse book, pg. 268. Checked that out at all?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 07-18-13 at 04:40 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-13, 12:12 AM

That was me trying to say that Immortals don't have the INVULNERABLE save that Rubrics have. Instead they stand back up from Res Orbs.

As I said, I started pondering using my Thousand Sons in a Necron List in this same fashion.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-13, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

After all the great advice I decided on Necrons for the armylist. However, instead of doing the Legion of the Damned I'm going to do an undead Space Marine army. I know this has been done before, but I have my own take on it. The army is going to be comprised of the skeletal remains of SMs from many different chapters.
(Narrator voice)
"Throughout the millennium there have been many warpstorms that have occurred during a battles. However some of these mysterious storms have been noted to suddenly cease at the end of the battle, disappearing along with them the dead of the battle. Stranger still, the corpses these fallen soldiers have been seen during odd warpstorms that turn the sky a sickly bright green. They silently drift, bones shining in the green light, still brandishing their ancient weapons and decrepit armor..."
...or something like that. That was just some fluff I thought of at work.

I want to use a mix of older style armor to show their age. I was going to have them with armor that was falling apart and partially destroyed. The remains of the SMs will be skelotonized. I was going to give the bolters a green glow (with light source painting) so they better reflect the gauss rule. I might have some bolters with out clips to emphasize that they aren't shooting bullets. For Nightsythes I'm going to use wrecked Stormtalons with the zombie ghost SMs hanging off it to represent the transport capability. Anyway, these are just some rough ideas. What do you think?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode