Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Daemons broken or BROKEN

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Zion 
#1 ·
ive run into a fair few people who say that the daemon codex has been ruined and that there now no good due to their changes.

having used them once and witnessed 2 of my mates getting beaten by daemons both of which are two of the best players i know [both have previously won throne of skulls and other tournaments] i think they are definately up there with the necrons, tau, chaos and other top armies

what are your thoughts?

what makes them broken, and what makes the BROKEN?

#2 ·
Nothing, they are a generally strong army that's victory can hinge on a single warp storm roll. For this reason they can neither be considered Broken, nor BROKEN.

#3 ·
Deamons are just different from last edition. If people try to use the same list as they did they will lose. Here begins first broken shout

The problem is if you load up on loads of heralds, possibly a greater deamon (starting to head to slaanesh or nurgle), deamonettes and souldgrinders and a potal glyph you have quite an amazing list. The ability to choose to deepstrike is huge. The Warp storm can be fantastic most of the time, especially if your warlord trait is lord of entropy (or whatever its called, Kairos has it by default) which allows you some control on it.

Units that were good last time are bad now, like the skullcrushers and flamer spam, but they can be a deadly army

#4 ·
What has already been said. People who says they no longer have anything good are stupid. Daemons are much stronger now than they were before, but the complete randomness of the army and the fact that the only AMAZING unit they have is the soulgrinder, prevents it from being anywhere near broken. The army is solid with plenty of viable builds, but nothing more.

Even cheesed out, it's not even close to the power of Necrons or GK.

#5 ·
They aren't broken, just unpredictable.

I think people who play other armies consider them broken because they are so potent. I mean who else gets ws5 and ap3 for 10 points? But on the other side of the coin, 3 wound cavarly with no eternal warrior or especially high toughness and saves. So there is balance within the codex.

Last book was over powered, it didn't matter what you tried to do against it, us daemon players were still killing you on 4's. I think the nerf to our previous powerhouse (flamers) is a good one, as flamers aren't bad in this book by any stretch of the imagination. Flamers (in general, not specifically the unit) are great in 6th ed, wall of death makes your opponent think twice about charging. Plus templates give you a ridiculous ammount of shots and ignore those cover saves that seem to be more and more important.

As for the warpstorm, if your playing mono or duo god its pretty much all good, i play mono khorne with a couple of tzeentch units in the army and i've only gotten the dark prince thirsts a couple of times, at the same time i've killed 75% of a nob squad with nurgles template. Its a good thing i have 60 Bloodletters because i've had to spawn extra in every game i've played.

Also daemons are one of the only two armies capable of of throwing out flying circus, Once 2 or 3 of my greater daemons is in combat on the other side of the board it has pretty much just been GG every time.

#7 ·
I think Daemons are difficult for some to handle, due to their unpredictability and hard hitting nature. But a t:3armywith Soul Grinders and Flying Daemon Princes is somewhat hard to deal with at times. Neither broken or BROKEN.

And just give up against Grey Knights. They are, predictably, very nasty versus Daemons.

#8 ·
I dont think Daemons are broken at all if im honest. I havenot had a chance to play against them with my Dark Eldar yet however it looks like my Dark Eldar could easily handle it without having to tailor. The one list which I guess scares quite a few people alot (the flying circus list) is quite easy for Dark Eldar to bring down as we can spam cheap splinter cannons and get loads of shots off.

#9 · (Edited)
GK's are a lot easier to deal with now than they were last dex. Warp quake for example is mute now. You can bet though the next GK codex will have things that make us roll on instability which I certainly am not looking forward to.

My favourite thing about the new daemon book is that it is a million times more versatile over the last codex. Nearly everything thing in it has a place now making for some very interesting and powerful lists though it relies a lot more on tactics and skill now rather than things like the crusherstars and flamer/screamer spam of old.

Nothing is broken or BROKEN but you are relying on the dice gods more than anything with daemons. Your opponent cannot claim that turning his 300pt pysker into a herald is unfair when there is just as much chance to hurt the daemon player with the same dice.

#10 ·
Your opponent cannot claim that turning his 300pt pysker into a herald is unfair when there is just as much chance to hurt the daemon player with the same dice.

wouldnt bet on it :)

#13 ·
As a long time daemon player I'm loving the new dex. In all honesty I have found almost every unit to have a great role, no unit is unusable. Yah furies may have piss poor stats, but they're 6pt. a model. The only unit I'd argue to be a little on the bad side are the slaanesh chariots. All units have a good balance to them and the warpstorm table makes up for the craziness of losing combat because of daemonic instability.

Here's an example. A herald on Juggernaught and a squad of 6 bloodcrushers of mine multi charged into a squad of chaos marines and chaos chosen. I expected to lose 2 wounds at least (in preparation for the worst)and I ended up losing two whole crushers because 2 meltas hit with the snap shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.