Why do so many peaple offering advice suck? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Default Why do so many peaple offering advice suck?

So after setting my eyes else where and browsing youtube and some smaller forums/blogs about CSM's and Necrons it became rapidly apparent that a lot of people have the statistical and tactical understanding of 15 year olds. Now this becomes very apparent when comparing the comprehensive tactic written by mossy Toes and others to some of those on other forums like Minninwargaming, and youtube like
. I mean really suggesting massed use of spawn, and cultists as a winning build? WTF? (Note they where not providing a break down of the unit and its unique tactical strengths, but simply asserting that they where a universally useful unit, which is the privilege of very few units in the game).

So has anyone else noticed videos of forums that seem popular, but give horrible advice about 40k?

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Last edited by LukeValantine; 05-28-13 at 12:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 10:23 AM

AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH's Flag is: Denmark

BeastsofWar, whenever they try to give tactical (or rules interpretation) advice.

I think it mostly stems from the fact that people who makes these things are players who mostly plays in their own basement with some close friends and thus are never exposed to all the joys (and horrors) of random pick-up games, tournies etc. They just play to have a good time with the same people as always and so the experience they have is going to be vastly different from those of us, here on boards such as Heresy who daily discuss different lists and how to optimise them.

Essentially, a lot of players don't feel like using (or simply don't know about) these sites, but are still invested enough in the hobby to want to spend some extra time on it even when not playing. One of the ways is to share their battles and experiences, those that work for them, with a lot of other people, and youtube/something else is a great platform for this. But because it is such a great platform (and such a common way to share ones hobby ventures) all types of people use it. So you get channels for the basement, fluff oriented or just outright "bad" players, you get those for the highly competitive players and you get those for everything in between. The only thing is, you can't expect people to advertise what audience they cater for because a lot of them, due to their lack of exposure to the hobby as a whole, just don't know who.

All I can say is, just keep looking.

Why some instances, like BeastsofWar, seem to know nothing about strategy I implore you to remember that some people are just stupid or just doesn't operate with the thought patterns best suited for tactical decisions. We can't all be the Clausewitzs of plastic space men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
So you're a wanker?
Who cares? Anyone that says they don't wank is a lying twat. Wank hard, wank often.

Last edited by AAAAAAAAARRRGGHH; 05-28-13 at 10:42 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 10:51 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

People tend to want to know instead of actually knowing that others want to know.

The result is you give advice even though you suck at it cause you want to believe you are good at it.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:13 AM

Sangus Bane's Flag is: Netherlands

It is easy to explain something to someone who is your equal for you are on the same level.

It is even easier to explain something to someone who has a better understanding of the subject than you, for he will fill in the gaps and sees the logic himself.

It is much harder to explain something to someone who knows less on the subject, for you tend to skip the things you find obvious and not worthy to mention, but which the other might not know.

Plus, people get the feeling they can tell you what yous hould be doing, since appearently you NEED them, and not the other way around.

Please have a look at my space marines.

Lord Bane says: "Keep your water bill low, drink more beer!"

My girlfriend said she didn't like Daft Punk. She's single now. Hahahahahaha lol, just kidding. She's dead...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:19 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

In the case of Youtube, I would more say that it is because everyone and their grandmother, believe that they can put anything up there and become millionaires.

Seriously, the amount of dropped-on-your-head-as-a-child level of retardedness in that place is beyond belief. People giving guides as to how to dry your socks and breathe heavily? Why I had no idea I needed that, but I sure am glad that the experts are right on that!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:25 AM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

What amazes me is how people write-off units but never actually try them. I found an interesting article which made me take a second look at Mutilators as being a "Monstrous creature in three parts" rather than three separate models.

I won't say they are any better at what they do, but I realized that I was just outright refusing to use some units on the grounds some guide had said "don't use these".

Also I've noticed that everyone has some kind of strange perception of the "big picture" meta-game because unless you regularly tour different clubs, flgs and tournaments, people really only have an idea of the lists in their local gaming circles. In doing so they provide strange advice that's weighted to counter what they encounter the most and in turn perceive as the "wider game". I can't tell you the number of times someone in a GW store tells me to use a fortress of redemption just-because.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:31 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonschwine View Post
What amazes me is how people write-off units but never actually try them. I found an interesting article which made me take a second look at Mutilators as being a "Monstrous creature in three parts" rather than three separate models.
I can relate to that. Currently I wouldn't go into a CSM fight without a Defiler, even though everyone says it's bad.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:38 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

The main problem with you tube videos and the Beasts of War stuff is its one way traffic, there's no real way to debate with what's been put forward in a video, you're just given the 'facts' as the presenter sees them and that's it.

Whereas on sites like Heresy, an idea is put forward and others than have the ability to chip in and develop the idea. If someone says that using X unit is a good idea against Y then that can be held to closer scrutiny, people can and will say whether or not, in their experience, the idea works or not.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:46 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
The main problem with you tube videos and the Beasts of War stuff is its one way traffic, there's no real way to debate with what's been put forward in a video, you're just given the 'facts' as the presenter sees them and that's it.

Whereas on sites like Heresy, an idea is put forward and others than have the ability to chip in and develop the idea. If someone says that using X unit is a good idea against Y then that can be held to closer scrutiny, people can and will say whether or not, in their experience, the idea works or not.
This x 100
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-13, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Keep in mind that the people I'm criticizing are claiming to know the most effective units and are making declarative statements about what makes a tournament list. Regardless of what your feeling about certain units and tactics there are clear cut instances where you can call someone out for talking bullshit. For instance if someone came up to you, and said this unit is broken powerful and you should always take it to win and it was say a chaos spawn you should first think A) very few units in the entire game are overpowered and even then its debatable, and B) I know enough about the game to understand that that statement is generally false save very few instances.

For example many people on this forum have done the actual time to break down units mathematically to show that they are not the most optimal choices (Not bad just not the most effective possible), but then go on to talk about how you should use them if you want to fit them in your list. However, the forums and videos I am talking about openly suggest bad tactics or encourage taking a specific unit because it will increase your chances of winning.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come

Last edited by LukeValantine; 05-28-13 at 12:04 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode