What's your breaking point? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Default What's your breaking point?

With the next GW price hike looming and the annual doo do hitting the spinning thing about to kick off, you know, the "That's it GW, you've gone too far!" what would be your breaking point when it comes to pricing, when would you say "That's just too much"?

As a baseline, so we're all starting from the same position, we'll use a Space Marine Tactical Squad as the guide, how much would be too much for 10 little plastic space men?

As they stand they will cost you £23 from GW, with no adjustments, exactly as they are packed now, how much would you be willing to spend?

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:23 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

For me I think the prices in Oz are at about the upper limit.

If there is another hike in price I'll be ordering from the US/UK almost exclusively and TBH that is almost the case now.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:25 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
With the next GW price hike looming and the annual doo do hitting the spinning thing about to kick off, you know, the "That's it GW, you've gone too far!" what would be your breaking point when it comes to pricing, when would you say "That's just too much"?

As a baseline, so we're all starting from the same position, we'll use a Space Marine Tactical Squad as the guide, how much would be too much for 10 little plastic space men?

As they stand they will cost you £23 from GW, with no adjustments, exactly as they are packed now, how much would you be willing to spend?
We're there already. The next price-hike for me will be the killer.

The only things I'd purchase would be the odd thing here and there to finish off existing units etc and then that would be game over.

With the exception of the Black Library of course as I'm a sucker for books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

As an addition to the above question, would that be it for you as far as wargaming goes or would you start investing in another system?

I've been eyeing up Carnevale for a while now and I'm seriously considering making the jump, I'd still buy the odd GW thing here and there, just because its easy to get, but I can hear other games calling (except Mantic, until they have an original idea of their own they can get screwed!)

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:44 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

Kind of at it know, to be honest, any further purchases will not be from the G.W store Dublin but from the tinterwebs, as for forgeworld, my god that stuff sings to me in my sleep I'll steal to afford it!!!!!!!!!

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:45 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

I'd go back to playing Necro/WHQ and suchlike

Probably add a few more bits to my WarMachine force but I'd probably end up cutting right back on wargaming stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 03:53 PM

Antonius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Either £30 or if they decide to split the unit ie replace 10 tac marines with Combat squads and give them a "Heavy Weapon kit" that is of the same value (NO GW - Less product for more =/= Improved value - cries about the loss of 20man IG boxes before I started Guard ). False economics really. Although I think what they do is they put up some very big (and shiny) new model that breaks everyones wallets (Dreadknight led the way, then the Riptide, and now the LOLWUT Wraithknight - its so tall and it £70 like).

I kinda feel sorry for the kids who come in all enthusiastic as can be and get told sternly by their parents who take one look at the price and say "no", because I bet excessive pricing actually kills their main revenue replacement method (its mainly them who keep GW fresh and not just dependent on vets who are too savvy to go for GW anyway).

WANT MODELS. NOT EMPTY WALLET (Or at least I want to see some "use" for it, not like £70 spent on bloomin' books/ gaming "support materials", and please tell me no one bought those psyker cards - make em yourselves!)

General Antonius, Task force Iron Storm cmdr, Cadian 9th Mechanised Infantry Rgt.

WHAT, I CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN SIX MANTICORES!

I'm facing NECRONS
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 04:03 PM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

I don't think there's a breaking point for me, unless the price hike is truly ludicrous. Like others on this thread, my armies are more or less finished. Just some random polishing to do, a unit here and there.

As is, I buy from 3rd party Ebay sellers, who usually sell at a 15% markdown. No more finecast, but that's okay. I avoid that stuff anyway.

Right now I'm just trying to resist the impulse to pre-order a Wraithknight.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 04:21 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

At 5k of Blood Angels I wouldn't be too up in arms about stopping at another price hike. If a tactical squad hits $50 CAD (where it's at $44.75 currently) I am through with the store entirely...though I'm already getting pretty much everything online at this point.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-23-13, 04:27 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

im not sure if the game as a whole is getting to the "will not buy" point.

But units are - Land Raiders for example $75USD is ridiculous (I can never spell that word...yay spellcheck) and I do not know of ANYONE who has thrown down for a new one.

Dreadnoughts and Terminators are precariously close to that line, and I love those units appearance wise. both of those units should not be anywhere close to $50.

In general anything that hovers at or about $50 is on the block, since that is how much it costs to refuel my car.

----

as for the tacticals...I cannot remember the last time I bought a Tactical squad box. I thought that is has sucked, mold wise, for entirely too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode