Does this make me a Terrible TO? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

Default Does this make me a Terrible TO?

So at the start of the year the position of TO (tournament organizer) was trusted upon me 2 days before a Tournament because the person who was going to run it had some family issues that he had to take care of.

The guy (was supposed to be) running it said he was going to be somewhat lax on proxies, as long as it was clear to your opponent what was what.

It was brought to my attention that a younger kid (about age 16) had some Paper Mache (or Origami if you want) Storm Talons. They looked awesome! From a distance I couldn't tell they weren't the real deal. Everyone was amazed at how good they looked.

The player in question had rode with 4 other guys for about an hour to get here, and was not the driver. So being that they looked great, no one seemed to have a problem with them, and not wanted to make this poor kid sit around for 8 hours while everyone else got to play. I allowed him to use the models. He told me that he was saving up for the real ones but for a 16 year old it was hard to gather up money. By the end of the day everyone had fun, and no one had said anything negative to me about allowing him to use them.

More recent this came up during a discussion on what would be allowed as far as WYSIWYG/proxying for an other tournament at a different store. One of the guys called the TO who allowed "Terrible" not knowing he was in that very discussion... So does not waiting to ruin a younger gamer's day make me a bad TO?

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.

Last edited by Da Joka; 05-22-13 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 01:43 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Honestly in that situation, I wouldn't think so. You were trying to ensure everyone had a good time and if the proxies where the right size and shape and had the right equipment then that guy is just butthurt for whatever reason.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 01:54 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Name of the game: have some fun.

If I were TO and someone got shirty about the kind of proxy you are talking about well he'd be getting the boot not the proxetter

So long as the proxy isn't ridiculous i.e. modelling for advantage and the WYSIWYG was pretty close and made for no confusion I'd let it run no problems.

Sure fire way to kill the game for the young fella is to knock him back, particularly when it sounds like he probably put more work into his paper mini's than most do on the actual kit.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 02:21 AM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

I think what that guy said was bullshit! You stuck to your guns, nobody had an issue with the models and knew what they were to be, and they looked great! You made the right call and you made one kid very happy and likely to participate again
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:18 AM
Feed

Something like that speaks to commitment. I think you made the right call.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:32 AM
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

I would of refused entry.

Theres "counts as" then there's papier mache space marines. Next time he'll turn up with Fruit Salad marines. "So what does the Banana represent?" "oh thats usually a Rhino, but sometimes my sister uses it as a sex toy".

Rules (I presume there was a rules pack) are rules. If you let one person bend the rules you'll be the one getting bent over next time.

"sorry kid "

Last edited by Jezlad; 05-22-13 at 03:41 AM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:35 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

The guy talking shit about ya was probably just pissed off he lost to a 16yr old hahahahaha

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:47 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

It really depends on context.

If you're a local tournament where no-one cares and everyone is perfectly happy to let the kid play? You made the right move.

You're actually Mike Brandt in disguise and want to let people pull this at NOVA? I'm less inclined to agree.

Basically, just wait for another competitor to complain, and then your hands are kinda tied. If it really matters to them, they will bring it up with you.

Although really, the kid should have emailed a photo of his proxies before coming, that's common courtesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I would of refused entry.

Theres "counts as" then there's papier mache space marines. Next time he'll turn up with Fruit Salad marines. "So what does the Banana represent?" "oh thats usually a Rhino, but sometimes my sister uses it as a sex toy".

Rules (I presume there was a rules pack) are rules. If you let one person bend the rules you'll be the one getting bent over next time.

"sorry kid "
My issue with this approach is where do you draw the line? There are plenty of people with amazing scratchbuilds out there, really what is the difference between plasticard scratchbuilds and a paper proxy (which according to the TO and all the other competitors looked great)? Do we discriminate based on the material used to complete the build?

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:58 AM

crisissuitguy's Flag is: USA

I've been playing the hobby since I was 12 and over the last 6 years until I got a job scrounging up cash for models was difficult. I remember my first (when the battleforces were only $90 bless those days) battleforce I worked by cleaning cars, cleaned fridges, and doing chores and saved up enough money to buy that battleforce when I was 12. So I can totally relate to the position this kid was in. Now that I actually earn money, buying models is much easier, but even when I was 16, a $33 or some odd box of models would of taken me 2 months to get. I got twenty bucks allowance a month, and not every kid is as well as as I might of been. Honestly I would of called that guy out who called you terrible, I think it's completely rude.

As being part of the younger minority of the Warhammer population, not having a salary job, or being able to work as much is a huge burden when this is the only hobby that really makes you happy. As long as it was clear and ok with the his opponents and it CLEARLY looked like models I would of given that kid a pat on the back and said go ahead.

There's no such thing as too many crisis suits.

Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for The Skull Throne, and Lolz for the Laughing god
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 05:38 AM

Frostbite's Flag is: USA

I see absolutely no reason to bar the proxies, especially since it was an issue of money and not laziness. Before there was an official Drop Pod model, we used soda cans even in tournaments as proxies and it worked fine. Now, if somebody were to show up with a shoebox and claim it was a Land Raider, I'd probably tell them to buzz off. But if they showed up with a papercraft Land Raider that clearly took love and effort, welcome aboard.

We live in fame, or go down in flames!

This is a game like real war, played against time, and played under circumstances of considerable excitement, and it is remarkable how elastic the measurements of quite honest and honourable men can become.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode