Strategy = Flawless and then the Dice Gods say "nay nay" - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Default Strategy = Flawless and then the Dice Gods say "nay nay"

Alright so everyone has had scenarios where their tactics were flawless and games that were going to be tight had started to go in their favor. Then the game comes down to a dice roll for the big victory and BAM... the dice gods have other plans.

Share your stories. Funny, sad, what ever! Lets see what short stories you all have!

Chaosftw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 03:57 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

a recent battle i was having, 2000pts, lots of orks on my side, vs some marines set up behind fortifications.

Was doing really well, myself vs 2 players, was winning most the way through, killed all the guys i needed to, they shot at my distractions etc

Untill the roll came to play another turn or not, needles to say we carried on for a turn, and they managed to run their guys into contest an objective, an wipe out the other squad.... argh...

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 03:03 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

At a tourney- was playing orks with my flesh tearers- wiped his armie off but a small nobs squad with the relic- my two jump squads had walked up to him and were roughly 3" away- both failed charge regardless of their rerolling charge moves- the dice gods just hate my flesh tearers

Although in every game I fail about 2/3 of my saves with marines and termies- however I pass 9/10 of my priests FNP saved- my opponents laugh as I fail saves but cry when my priest steps in

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 06:18 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

My most recent game against the Tau. I still managed to pull out a win, but lost two squads because I failed three sub 7" charges in a row.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
My most recent game against the Tau. I still managed to pull out a win, but lost two squads because I failed three sub 7" charges in a row.
oh man that is brutal... I can see one, maybe 2.... but 3 ... good god I would have flipped lol!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 08:14 PM

returnoftheclown's Flag is: United Kingdom

My horde of murderous daemons had fought their way up the board towards the cowering guard in the corner. I had taken quite a few loses to shooting but I was able to distract most of his fire with drones and soul grinders. And so I was finally ready to take the battle to him, to reap his souls for the dark gods!!!

But because I had neglected to include any tzeentch followers he decided to screw me over by making me roll double 1 on the warp storm table, followed by absolutely terrible Leadership tests. I was gunned down by overwatch, with only a bloodthirster hitting.

I have decided to give daemons a break for a bit and buy some new dice...gods like new dice right?

“Insane? You dare to claim that we are insane? I find this very amusing. You see, there is no such thing as sanity. Why? Because the nature of sanity depends on the context the term is used. A man living in squalor may call the rich man insane for wasting food, while the rich man in return may call the poor insane for living off his waste. You slaughter thousands and squander the resources of planets on foolish incursions to please a corpse and his corrupted followers. And you have the nerve to call me insane? Oh poor misguided individual, pray to whatever deity you serve and hope he is merciful, for those who find themselves trapped in the spiders web have little else they can do”

Lord Nerthro of the ‘Heralds of Absurdity’ to what remained of an Imperial scouting party
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 08:59 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosftw View Post
oh man that is brutal... I can see one, maybe 2.... but 3 ... good god I would have flipped lol!
Dice hate me...

Had an epic loss in my first game against Dark Eldar. Not sure I could have won the game, but I should have not been tabled...when I failed 4 out of 8 2+ saves with my main Harlequin it was the last straw.

Just played a game against a chaos player sunday and lost my bike squad and my libby over the course of 2 shooting phases by failing 6/8 armor saves and then dropped another 4/6 to finish off the squad. Not to mention losing one of my razorbacks in one round of shooting by not making a single one out of the 4, 4+ cover save attempts (night fighting and enemy shooting through cover).

I usually manage to win games in spite of my dice, not because of them.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 09:59 PM
Banned

Romero's Own's Flag is: Scotland

In one of my most recent games I was pitting my Tyranids against my friends Imperial Guard list. It was going well for me, it was a small 500 point annihilation game and four turns he was down to a lone Sergeant armed with power fist.

Well it turns out the dice gods don't like bugs as the Sergeant went on to beat down all my units and send them running. That guy must have been a bad ass.

The Silent Lions Chapter

Winter Falls

Darkness

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 02:45 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Was three inches away from a charge against a tervigon with my raptors who'd jump-packed up to him over some terrain, a good round of shooting brought him to 1 wound and I was pretty much set to remove him.

Grabbed the dice to assault and bam, double 1's. Next turn he wanders off after pooping some more gaunts out (8) and eventually goes and eats a Rhino. Then I proceeded to lose the Raptor squad to gaunt fire with horrible Armour save luck. Afterward that Tervigon ran around producing 15, 13 and 12 more groups of the little devils before burning out.

That day I just did not do too well.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:45 PM

DestroyerHive's Flag is: Canada

I saw a unit of 5 Terminators get shot with a large blast weapon from an IG player that wasn't AP2. It wounded all 5 Terminators. He rolled five saves and guess what he rolled:

FIVE ONES.

The IG player was shouting, "everyone, come look at this!" And they both shared a good laugh.

If someone lacks intelligence, than he is not stupid, because one cannot be stupid without intelligence.

If someone reverts to having to complain about your grammar, then you already won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode