What makes Tyranids a competitive force in 6th? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

Default What makes Tyranids a competitive force in 6th?

To preface this, I've been out of the 40k scene since just before 6th began and have recently come back to the game. I've been reading up as much as I can to see what state the game is balance wise, and the viability of different armies. Reading a couple threads on people picking their top armies, Tyranids came up quite a few times with little to no explanation. I understand Monstrous Creatures and Flying Monstrous Creatures received quite a few buffs, but what else makes Tyranids a strong codex choice?

Some other things I've picked up on reading around that I understand makes Tyranids stronger are psykers and the changes to vehicle damage. Vehicles, from what I understand, are a bit weaker this edition thus making infantry based armies a bit stronger. The other change is that there are suddenly a ton of psykers in the Tyranid army that can take the Biomancy chart.

What else makes people believe Tyranids are a strong choice? Any specific units or rules that push them up as far as being competitive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 04:22 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

the ability for everything to have poisoned attacks, and of coarse the ability to spawn lots of guants.

i suppose being able to field lots of monstrous creatures help aswell.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 05:04 AM
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Maybe the ammount of psykic powers that they can have. Almost more than a grey knights army if you wish.

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 05:23 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

several things; mostly part of the edition change is what has made Nids...better...not top tier in any stretch of the imagination however.

with the advent of BRB psychic powers that are vastly better than the ones in the Nid codex, our psychers can actually use decent powers.

FMCs are good (i never use them however)

Vehicles got LOTS WORSE is the biggest change, now being able to hit all vehicles on a 3+ AT WORST and every MC able to generate S10 attacks allows every MC to deal with T5 pain in ass units & things like LRs.

It is not that Tyranids got better, its that MSU Meched up spam got hurt by a huge amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 06:18 AM

coke123's Flag is: Australia

The ability to bring a silly amount of troops (in Tervigons and Termagants) as well as the ability to deliver incredibly tough Montstrous Creatures due to a combination of the Flying Monstrous Creature rules and the widespread availability of Biomancy powers is what makes Tyranids a force to be reckoned with.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad."

Also known as BaselessElm
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 12:43 PM
Where is Jessica Hyde?

humakt's Flag is: England

I agree, Tyranids using biomancy makes they extremly tough. Being monsterous creatures to boot makes them very hard to kill in close combat. Shooting wise they are weaker, but this is easily corrected by using flying ability to close to the enemy quickly.

They are beatable my mobile armies, but these are not so numerous now that vehicle spam is not so useful.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Curiouser and Curiouser

Thanks all. Pretty interesting to see the change for one of my favorite forces. I noticed too that Broodlords are also ML1 psykers now which is just hilarious. Sounds like an awful lot of fun!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 03:24 PM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

I have only played them several times but from what I have seen it has to be the ability to overwhelm with numbers, ability to get a lot of poison shots, and now with most people not taking vehicle heavy lists Nids don't need to worry about all the high AV and can now just mow through infantry.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 10:45 PM

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

What's interesting to me about this thread is that about 3-6 months ago, everyone seemed to be saying that 'nids had a terrible, underpowered book and that there was pretty much no reason to turn up to a game (especially a competitive game) with them... has the meta changed a lot over the last few codexes, or have 'nid players just changed what they were taking?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-13, 03:55 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

its not the past 3-6 months, its been the past year of hard work of trying to make Nids "work" Like all armies were trying to do with the changes to 6th. It has been recent that people have been coming around to Nids being somewhat respectable which is a huge boost over where it was in the last year of 5th.

Nids simply gained more where other armies lost.

----

For example my favorite models in a nid army are their Warriors & Raveners - both units sucked HUGE MONSTER BALLS in 5th; with the high amount of meltas it meant that these units were literally being vaporized and they were effectively unable to deal with vehicles with A) not being able to hit reliably B) not doing anything from glances.

Now with 6th Meltas have been exchanged for Plasmas - meaning that my dudes survive longer...in theory; vehicles are much easier to hit so my guys can glance them to death because of hull points.

----

that being said Nids' main focus (termagants & tervigons) did not change; it is the "auto includes" that have changed, no longer is it practically mandatory to take Hive Guard vs it is HIGHLY BENEFICIAL to take a flying tyrant.

Genestealers, which were a HUGE factor for the army in 5th, are now nonexistent.

----

what we gained was our respectability; what we lost was perhaps one of the greatest troop units of 5th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode