Enough Aliens? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Enough Aliens?

DO you think the 40k universe is a bit light on Xenos?

We have what... tyranids, eldar, tau and orks.

Isn't it time GW started focusing on new aliens instead of more Power Armored or "Dark" stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 08:10 AM

stephen.w.langdon's Flag is: United Kingdom

Your forgetting Dark Eldar, Necrons and Demons on your list,

The 40K Universe currently has 15 Seperate forces which 7 are Xenos, so quite balanced against the forces of the imperium and chaos Space Marines.

I know at times it does not seem like it, but that is down more to how GW Promote the Space Marines as they are the main sellers

2013 Games W-/-L-/-D

Eldar 1-/-0-/-0

Orks 2-/-0-/-0
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 08:54 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

yeah i think the universe could certainly use more, either as a new race or as allies for current races, for me GW should test the water using FW as a test bed for alien allies, start with squats FFS as we never seem to hear the end of them despite it getting on for 20 years since they got canned.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Slave to Heresy!
Jezlad's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Your forgetting Dark Eldar, Necrons and Demons on your list,
Dark eldar are.. Eldar - dont count.

Daemons are Chaos... don't count.

Necrons I didn't include because they're robots and aren't another "Race" of biological creatures. At a push crons could be included. The other 2 no chance.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:00 AM
Feed

I wouldn't mind if they downplayed the friggin space marines and added another alien race, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what they could do and still make it a credible addition to the background fluff.

EDIT: Jez, necrons are xenos as much as eldar. They were a completely separate race before they were machines and they have their own societal structure and way of thinking like any other alien race does.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:01 AM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well fluff wise I guess the eldar (these guys blew up stars for fun!), great crusade (Does anyone else think we shouldn't give all this power to Horus?), necrons (Braiinnsss...) tyranids (nom nom), and Orks (What if we shouted something other than waagh?) killed many alien species along the way

Theres many aliens mentioned in the fluff who we rarely see on the table like kroot & vespid (jibe at how bad they are!) for starts plus others like the Lear, squats, Demurg etc

Game wise a new race has to add something unique to the game and I can't really see a niche

(As an aside necrons are aliens they are the remains of the necrontyr who were not human)

Maybe we should try to list all the xenos races ever mentioned in 30/40k?

Last edited by Barnster; 05-20-13 at 09:04 AM.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:07 AM
Feed

The only possibilities really are the Hrud or at a stretch the Barghesi. Both are mentioned and reasonably feared in the fluff, it just remains to be seen whether they or anything else could be incorporated without disrupting the balance.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:11 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

The main problem GW will have with squats is the Forgefathers from Mantic games.

Copyright and all that, but it depends how far GW are willing to dig in their archives for who wins that fight.

With the aliens, vespid, and kroot. vespid are marginal yes, but kroot have their own list (outdated by far) and their own line of models. (from both gw and fw)

when you really think about it, what other aliens could you make into a list, that would be different from the already existing codexes etc?

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:17 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty-dog- View Post
The main problem GW will have with squats is the Forgefathers from Mantic games.

Copyright and all that, but it depends how far GW are willing to dig in their archives for who wins that fight.
Mantic would get Theon Greyjoyed in court for even daring to claim copyright on space dwarves.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:17 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I don't really like the allies thing but I'd like to see some sort of 40k Dogs of War book with a couple of xenos races included. A basic race could be an HQ, Troop and E/F/HS. Design then with the intention of being an ally, but also enough options to deal with heavy armour and act as a force in their own right if someone is willing to build an army with such limited unit types. In fact, five different units could be easily accommodated. The troop box set could contain options for two different units, likewise with the other one. Perhaps the HQ box could allow a regular HQ and a psyker.

In any case, I don't think a whole new codex race is really necessary but the allies system definitely opens up possibilities for mini factions

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode