Termie Armour - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 06:31 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderHawk View Post
Seriously, if you can't take that joke, you have such low self-esteem. It is a joke, and meant to be a joke. It's a fool to be insulted by this kind of jokes. I would even laugh if one of the joke is thrown on me.

Why you can't take it as a joke? Because you have (in your own mind) fear that "gamers are not attractive to girls". Based on that fear, you bash people's jokes which alleviate your own fear, of being unattractive to girls.

Take it as a joke.



Ladies can be impressed by anything. Some ladies are impressed by your good looks. Or your brains. Or your shyness. Or your plastic soldiers. Ladies are not creatures who only look for the most handsome or the most hulky football players. They do have their own tastes, which are different. Most girls are not gamers, but some are gamers. Most men play sports, but some men don't play sport. Most men can't code a program, some man can type code very fast.

Every men and woman has their own set of standards and beliefs, where you can't generalize them into a single category.
I don't take it as a joke because I'm not reading it as a joke. You may see what, in your mind, constitutes a little harmless. I see people being purposely malicious because, in their minds, they see someone who is so much of a "geek" or "nerd" that it makes gamers look like extremists and that fills them with the fear of being associated with such individuals. Why not focus on the skill and creativity that went into the project rather than basking the guy?

My self-esteem is doing quite well thank you, as it isn't mine that is coming under potential attack. Trying to make this into some pop psychology lesson simply isn't going to work.

I am not in possession of any fear that "gamers are not attractive to girls". The fact that you read that into my statement is a testament to your own fears.

And my statement about how a woman would react? Well gosh...it's just a joke. Can't you take a joke?

Last edited by FinalLegion; 04-25-13 at 06:36 AM.
FinalLegion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 06:39 AM
Thordis
 
Haskanael's Avatar
Haskanael's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,438
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
I don't take it as a joke because I'm not reading it as a joke. You may see what, in your mind, constitutes a little harmless. I see people being purposely malicious because, in their minds, they see someone who is so much of a "geek" or "nerd" that it makes gamers look like extremists and that fills them with the fear of being associated with such individuals. Why not focus on the skill and creativity that went into the project rather than basking the guy?


I am not in possession of any fear that "gamers are not attractive to girls". The fact that you read that into my statement is a testament to your own fears.

And my statement about how a woman would react? Well gosh...it's just a joke. Can't you take a joke?
you dont understand them because you dont know them, because it actualy was without malice. just like you say your joke was. do you understand now? get to know people before you overreact.
Haskanael is offline  
post #73 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 07:10 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Reputation: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haskanael View Post
you dont understand them because you dont know them, because it actualy was without malice. just like you say your joke was. do you understand now? get to know people before you overreact.
Oh? Do you know them well enough to know for a fact there was no malice in those statements? Somehow I doubt that you know those people well enough to know what they were thinking and feeling when they posted those comments.

Look, I don't want to see this turning into a big flame war. I reacted as I did because I fail to see why anyone needs to belittle what he accomplished in making that suit. I'm certain a lot of us have been on the receiving end of some type of belittlement from those around us because of our hobbies. We're called geeks, nerds, gamers and worse and while I'm sure the majority of us live by the statement, "I really don't give a fuck what others think", I, for one, don't think that's entirely true. I believe that most of us are bothered when that happens even if it's just a little bit. I know I am...and the reason it bothers me is because all it does is reinforce that social wall that separates us from understanding one another. I've never understood the reason to pursue that endeavor.

That brings me back to those comments here that I perceive as malicious. As part of this community and the larger gaming community, I think we rather owe it to each other to be more supportive of one another. It's not about getting the self-esteem or self-worth that we want to have, but strengthening that self-esteem and self-worth that exists it so that when those unfortunate-and hopefully rare-times when someone outside our community exhibits a snide and belittling attitude towards one of us, it will have no effect. Without any perceived effect, maybe that want to ridicule another will lessen and that wall of separation will begin to crumble.

Last edited by FinalLegion; 04-25-13 at 07:36 AM.
FinalLegion is offline  
 
post #74 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
kiro the avenger!'s Avatar
kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Where you least expect it
Posts: 1,509
Reputation: 3
Default

Doesnt anyone think it's funny how people have taken this thread about sharing what I think is a cool termie suit, the geads abit small but meh
And turned into a massive shitstorm of a rant about virginity and all this!
And about 40k being a 'chick repelant', the only girls that will leave you when you find out are uncaring, insensitive bitch ones which you don't really want to go out with. The nice, caring and understanding ones, which you do want to hang our with will either say 'bit wierd, but I don't care' and stay out of your way on the matter or 'cool, can I join in?'

........
Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
kiro the avenger! is offline  
post #75 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
SonofVulkan's Avatar
SonofVulkan's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Coventry
Posts: 585
Reputation: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honourius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofVulkan View Post
Where's the Storm Shield?

(Must have ran out of empty cereal boxes and toilet roll tubes I guess.)
How funny.
More jealousy of skills, I assume.
Let's see your own fantastic storm shield, eh?
Challenge accepted. One cereal box/toilet roll Storm Shield coming up.
SonofVulkan is offline  
post #76 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 08:03 AM
The Emperor Protects
 
Angel of Blood's Avatar
Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,262
Reputation: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honourius View Post
I understand your bitterness at being unable to build a terminator armour for yourself. I understand your fury at your own inability. And I understand your pride transforms your awe of his work into the sad raging of an impotent man without ability himself.
Hands down one of the most unintentionally funny replies so far. Take your tongue out of his arsehole Gary.

Norm it may have been directed at, but I feel I likely speak for him and many others when I ask, why the fuck would I want to build a giant cardboard terminator outfit? Theres no bitnerness, fury or rage here. All those words you've chosen to use are pretty entertaining, but wrong nevertheless. I would never, ever want to build that, even if I could, I'm not bitter because I can't, I'm utterly indifferent. But you know what, your comments just make people want to jump on the bashing wagon.


And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
Angel of Blood is offline  
post #77 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 08:06 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?
 
humakt's Avatar
humakt's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,182
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiro the avenger! View Post
Doesnt anyone think it's funny how people have taken this thread about sharing what I think is a cool termie suit, the geads abit small but meh
And turned into a massive shitstorm of a rant about virginity and all this!
And about 40k being a 'chick repelant', the only girls that will leave you when you find out are uncaring, insensitive bitch ones which you don't really want to go out with. The nice, caring and understanding ones, which you do want to hang our with will either say 'bit wierd, but I don't care' and stay out of your way on the matter or 'cool, can I join in?'
I think its ridiculous that this whole thing has been blown totally out of proportion. Some people liked the suit others did not, some throught it expensive otheres did not. There was some banter about it likly to be made by a virgin, then people started jumping down and making a fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
I don't take it as a joke because I'm not reading it as a joke. You may see what, in your mind, constitutes a little harmless. I see people being purposely malicious because, in their minds, they see someone who is so much of a "geek" or "nerd" that it makes gamers look like extremists and that fills them with the fear of being associated with such individuals. Why not focus on the skill and creativity that went into the project rather than basking the guy?

My self-esteem is doing quite well thank you, as it isn't mine that is coming under potential attack. Trying to make this into some pop psychology lesson simply isn't going to work.

I am not in possession of any fear that "gamers are not attractive to girls". The fact that you read that into my statement is a testament to your own fears.

And my statement about how a woman would react? Well gosh...it's just a joke. Can't you take a joke?
I think you are reading way to much into this. Boltshells has made a fine suit of terminator armour, although I dont like the weathering effect or the tubing stomach. He claims its for his buisness, which is all fine and dandy, but this also means he is open to criticism. I dont think it has anything to do with people being scared he is a nerd extremists.

The virgin thing probably was not required and without that this thread would have lived for a short period before sinking into the depths of obscurity.

And personally the best Space Marine armour I have seen created it here

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/07/warhammer-spacemarine-costume-diy/


But once again the heads look a bit too small, but being as they are not actually Space marines wearing the suits there is very little you can about that.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
humakt is offline  
post #78 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
kharn_the_blood_god's Avatar
kharn_the_blood_god's Flag is: Denmark
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Engesvang
Posts: 182
Reputation: 1
Default

can this thread just close already.
okay so he made a suit and people go nuts over it (and not always in a good way) now before I go on, I would like to say, that I don't say this to everyone.
someone actually did say honest opinions, and none insulting comments.
but this has to stop.
first of all, its just a suit. he does this as a hobby, even as a small time job.
I know this guy personally, and let me tell you all, you would be honored to know this guy.
second of all, as said before there is a huge difference in opinions (your suits paint job could have been better) and insults (you attention whore, protect your virginity with that suit) now some of the insults were meant as a joke, so again, not talking to everyone.
and lastly. if we strip it down to the basic, it's just A SUIT. nothing more nothing less. some guy made a suit, someone posts it here, guys go nuts, he defends himself, more nutting, he apologized, AND IT STILL GOES ON.
so just close the thread. end it all, and let the guy be.
and lastly, if you had made that suit, wouldn't you have shut it off? it was even him who posted it
kharn_the_blood_god is offline  
post #79 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 08:25 AM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
warsmith7752's Avatar
warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Khornes left bicept
Posts: 1,443
Reputation: 11
Default



Personally I prefer this over terminator armour, or any other marine cosplay. This is sharp.



current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
warsmith7752 is offline  
post #80 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 10:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Djinn24's Avatar
Djinn24's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 0
Default

Screw it, your right norm, I forgot you belong to the uber cool and studly faction of guys who play with 1in tall figurines. :D
Djinn24 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome