Termie Armour - Page 14 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
maelstrom48's Avatar
maelstrom48's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 344
Reputation: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Norm told a joke,it was funny because our hobby does contain a significant number of socially awkward people when it comes to relationships, you goto games day or comicon and point to someone whos getting laid and i will point to twenty who are not,dont forget stereotypes exist for a reason.
True that. Going to hobby shops is always such an interesting experience. All the competing inferiority complexes just clashing together--it's something to behold.

I just read through this monster of a thread and man is there a lot of high school baggage manifesting. Throwing around words like "geek", "nerd" and especially "virgin" results in a lot of butthurt.

Doesn't mean I'll stop.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).
maelstrom48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #132 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 10:50 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Not every shadow, but any shadow
Posts: 7,889
Reputation: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom48 View Post
I just read through this monster of a thread and man is there a lot of high school baggage manifesting.
Lulz !
Magpie_Oz is offline  
post #133 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 02:05 PM
We fly for the Emperor!
 
ThunderHawk's Avatar
ThunderHawk's Flag is: Indonesia
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 201
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
I know that last time I said that I had said all I wanted to say, and I have, and I suppose we'll have to disagree...but I'm commenting here because the comment above really threw me.

I don't know of any Western country where it's considered okay to call your parents by their proper names. It's certainly not okay here in the United States and I've never heard any of my Canadian or European friends address their parents in that manner. I'm just curious as to where you heard that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Calling you Mum or Dad by their Christian name is not acceptable to anyone I know.

In fact it's a bit creepy when I think of calling my parents by their names.
My apologies, then.
I heard it from my friend way back



Army Lists :
Need Advice : 2000 pts GK Army List

Old Army List : 2000 pts GK Army List
Old Army List : 2000 pts SM Vulkan List
ThunderHawk is offline  
 
post #134 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
gothik's Avatar
gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Posts: 2,172
Reputation: 22
Default

way i see this is ... as was stated most people on here have a dark sense of humour, mine is sorta dark at times and light at others, but, when posting on heresy you have to accept that not everyone is going to pat you on the back and say there, there.

I have started painting again after a decade or so of not so when i post my photos i ask for any and all advice good or bad, if it was going to offend me i would not ask or would not post.

so, if you wanna be part of the heresy experiance accept that your opinion is not everybody elses opinion and stop feeding the sharks with snipes at posts to prove who has the biggest interlectual balls or titties. Accept that the one thing everyone has in common is the love of Warhammer, 40K and yes even LOTR, (not touched the last one yet)

if however you want the notion of brotherly love and everyone gives wow amazing critique...then go find a power rangers or care bear site, after all, at the end of the day as the big khahona said, argue your point you are entitled to, it is a free country after all, well was the last time i looked, but if you have any real concerns then take it to him and quit the all out war on peoples personal opinions.

its pretty obvious that your views will not get listened too if you are going to pull your pants down and show everyone what an arsehole you are. For the record, i can think of better things to spend two grand on, if i had it that is, and i have seen better cosplay outfits. My daughter, her gf and thier friends do it and go to the expos and all that, but to my knowledge she has never spent more than maybe 100 quid on her costume, and at least it wont get fall apart when it rains.

Idea was sound enough, but if you want a Termi armour that will get the right attention, then for the love of mike...make it out of something more durable than cardboard.
gothik is offline  
post #135 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-28-13, 11:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Straken's_Fist's Avatar
Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,094
Reputation: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
Norm told a joke,it was funny because our hobby does contain a significant number of socially awkward people when it comes to relationships, you goto games day or comicon and point to someone whos getting laid and i will point to twenty who are not,dont forget stereotypes exist for a reason.
Weird, because virtually no one who plays 40k in my gaming clubs I would describe as socially awkward (maybe only a couple of exceptions)...Infact, many are soldiers or ex-soldiers, the rest come from diverse backgrounds, but i'd say 90% are married or have long-term partners. I think back in the 90's the stereotypes you describe were more true, but these days it seems completely different....I guess it varies quite dramatically from place to place. But I don't get how the jokes are funny now since the demographic has changed and it's not remotely true anymore. They don't offend me for he same reason either. I just find it weird people still have these types of stereotypes.

Magic the Gathering players though......That's a completely different kettle of fish.
Straken's_Fist is offline  
post #136 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 12:06 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
 
Jacobite's Avatar
Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,082
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken's_Fist View Post
Magic the Gathering players though......That's a completely different kettle of fish.
Is that because they smell worse than fish or you want to hit them with a kettle?
Jacobite is offline  
post #137 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
DeathJester921's Avatar
DeathJester921's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,266
Reputation: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Is that because they smell worse than fish or you want to hit them with a kettle?
Could it be both?

@Straken Yeah, it varies from area to area. Here, there is a group of guys that i've somewhat gotten to know that are pretty cool. They aren't the socially awkward type at all. True the demographic has changed, but the stereotypes will remain as long as the ones who fit the stereotypes are still around in the hobby. And there are still those type of people still around. It is still true, but even if it wasn't, the jokes would still be funny, precisely because they wouldn't be true at all.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
DeathJester921 is offline  
post #138 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 04:09 AM
Jeep's and Harley's
 
OIIIIIIO's Avatar
OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,997
Reputation: 10
Default

I have to giggle about the stereo types thing ... I am a natural born smart ass and make no apologies for it. He was the one who brought up how much he had invested in this suit. $2,000. Great .... I spent $42,000 on my wife's 370Z ... does that make me the big guy on campus? Nope.

He posted a picture of his Fiance' on the internet as if to say "Look at how hot she is." That is how I took that. Sorry, I would never do that to my wife. I took a poke at what she looks like and made a joke. DK and someone else said something about it being harsh ... I did not get offended at all. I made a joke at her expense because HE put her picture up.

I just have to laugh about how self-critical we are towards each other. This site gives you the freedom to say what you want (within reason) and not fear the Mods deleting what you say, censoring it, or changing what you had written ... something I hear has happened on other sites. The Mods here do a great job and the way Jez lets us and them do as we will is great.

Fuck it people .. just have fun with what you say and do. If you are not physically hurting them, then they need to toughen the fuck up ... it is the internet after all.
OIIIIIIO is offline  
post #139 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 10:57 AM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

I've just read through all of this thread and I think I should venture to other parts of this forum more often. Thoroughly entertaining.

I particularly loved the attempted psychological analysis, such as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalLegion View Post
I am not in possession of any fear that "gamers are not attractive to girls". The fact that you read that into my statement is a testament to your own fears.
This guy who built the suit proved what type of guy he was when he posted what he did. When I watched his video I formulated an instant opinion that mirrored what most of the jokes said, that's not a poor reflection on me, that's me being human. It's human nature to ridicule. The bloke might be a really nice guy, good for him that he has a (vaguely-ish) attractive fiance (why did he even post a picture of her?) who shares in his weird hobby. But I couldn't give a shit. The reaction his video has got ranges from "that's cool" to "haha virgin", how did he expect anything else from posting such a youtube video? The wider public generally thinks those kind of hobbies are sad, a waste of time and money, and involve people with minimal social skills. Partly true, partly not. The fact that he got so wound up about a few (obvious) jokes says a lot though.

As for the virginity bit: I lost my virginity when I was 15. Do I think that makes me better than people who lost it when they were 18, 19, 20, or dare I say it, those who still haven't? No, but I used to (in a non-serious way) when I was that age. Thats what lads do and how they think. Now I couldn't give a shit, it's totally irrelevant. Losing your virginity is a right of passage, always has been. What is probably prominent is the corralation between people stereotypically being virgins, having minimal social skills, and having hobbies like wargaming. And you can see why. The fact that people in this, or similar hobbies can also joke about it is a good thing I think.

People criticising others for making jokes and telling them to "grow up" and stuff, seriously, get a life. It baffles me how, in 2013, people still get pissed off or "offended" over such matters when they're probably experienced internet users. If you can't take criticism (justified or not) after posting a video on the internet of you looking like a complete idiot and doing something that the vast majority of people will think is pathetic, then you shouldn't have posted it. If you enjoy what you do and are big enough to ignore the laughs, jokes, and sniggers then just get on with it, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Anyway, there has been absolutley no point in this post. I just wanted to show my appreciation for a highly entertaining twenty minutes or so.

On topic: As for the suit, yeah, I would never want one, wear one, or go anywhere near anyone who had one. If you have one, that's fine, do want you want. I couldn't think of anything worse. Though according to one post earlier on, that makes me jealous because I couldn't make one? Ha.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 04-29-13 at 03:29 PM.
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
post #140 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
gothik's Avatar
gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Folkestone Kent UK
Posts: 2,172
Reputation: 22
Default

and COTE says it as it is ....well said sir..
gothik is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome