Termie Armour - Page 11 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 09:54 PM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

Serious note: I know for a fact that if this were posted here in one of the modeling boards as someone's personal labor of love they would be lauded by almost everyone for the about of time and care and personal expense that went into expressing their love of the hobby. We know what it means to spend way too much time and money glorifying plastic spacemen and we appreciate it in others when we see it.

However, when you go to put a price tag on it that's when it stops being a personal labor of love and badge of nerdly honor and becomes a product you're trying to hawk...at which point the cynical bastards amongst us (which is most of us, to some degree), quickly shift gears and start pointing out all the ways it's not worth the insane price, or wondering who would possibly want to buy it. Why? Because by turning it into a product you're making it impersonal. It's no longer your pride and joy and is now your bread and butter.

When something becomes business it, by nature, stops being personal. If you want to make a living off of something you need to be prepared to accept negative criticism, learn from it and adapt. If you only ever want to hear good about the things you churn out you'll never improve. It's like running a restaurant that puts out decent but not great food then going to the table and screaming at anyone who sends a plate back. Not only does it make you look shockingly unprofessional, but it cuts you off from the kind of feedback you need to make your product better.

It's one thing to stand up for yourself and believe in your work, it's another to dismiss anything negative as "haters" and live in a bubble where you ignore all criticisms.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior



Galahad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 10:27 PM
Executive Nitpicker
 
Galahad's Avatar
Galahad's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 8,276
Reputation: 15
Default

For what it's worth, I threw my two cents on their little 'apology' post on the facebook (under my alter ego Nate Hunt, mild mannered gas station manager). Had a relatively reasonable exchange. They tried calling out a nonexistent double standard in my post and made some cheeky comment about my post making them dizzy...then they dropped that line when I explained that there wasn't any such thing in my post and that there's a difference between defending yourself in the place you were insulted and running around the net to try and start a war. Then they asked who they thought I deleted and promptly dropped that line when I pointed out that I knew they deleted everything Jez had said on their thread. hell, what drew my attention in the first place was a notification that Jez posted something there then me being unable to find what he said.

Even when they aren't deleting you they still ignore anything that doesn't make them look good. I've spent far too long in the gladiatorial pits of Rules Discussion...I know bullshit when I dismantle it.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!



Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior



Galahad is offline  
post #103 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Jeepers
 
Loli's Avatar
Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Staffordshire, UK
Posts: 1,354
Reputation: 8
Default

Wow, I posted this because I thought it was pretty commendable, I go for a day, and suddenly it's all gone to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....
Loli is offline  
 
post #104 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 10:37 PM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
 
Tawa's Avatar
Tawa's Flag is: Scotland
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 8,723
Reputation: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
Wow, I posted this because I thought it was pretty commendable, I go for a day, and suddenly it's all gone to hell.
Welcome to the 'Nam


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
Tawa is offline  
post #105 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 10:38 PM
nice boy, daft though !
 
bitsandkits's Avatar
bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,212
Reputation: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
Wow, I posted this because I thought it was pretty commendable, I go for a day, and suddenly it's all gone to hell.
Thats the true power of Heresy online, you never really know what your gonna get.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
bitsandkits is offline  
post #106 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-25-13, 11:04 PM
The Hebrew Hammer
 
The Son of Horus's Avatar
The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 6,544
Reputation: 60
Default

On second thought, we're going to leave this unlocked and see what happens...

But for the sake of argument, and back to the original topic... that's a freaking sweet suit of Terminator armor. The Imperial Fists one. If I had $2000 to blow right now, I'd probably be trying to get in touch with Roses and Boltshells to make a suit of power armor for me. I love all that kind of stuff...halloween is my favorite holiday, and the idea of tromping around the bars in power armour is super funny in my mind... but also, just having a suit to display in the game room would be very cool, I think.

As for the flame war that's gone on in this thread... I'm not one to rip on other people's hobbies. Unless they're furries. That shit's creepy. I mean, I don't have a lot of room to talk... I play D&D twice a week, I play Warhammer, and am an avid Trekkie. But I also was in a social fraternity and had a good six year stint of picking up random women at the bars. You can't really tell what someone's like based on their hobbies... the whole "boo virgin" thing, to me at least, comes off like sour grapes-- like shitting on talent, basically.

That being said, we're a lot cooler than the other forums about pretty much everything. We'll even be cool about disagreeing with the staff, to a point, and not ban people outright like they do on certain other sites. I know I personally use the banhammer VERY sparingly, and only in cases of spambots and unrepentantly casual racists, sex offenders, and the like-- essentially, people who are threatening the viability of the community. But there's an undeniable red line, where at no point are we going to let people shit on Heresy, the hard work that Jez and the rest of the staff have put into it over the years, or on the community as a whole. And to that end, I will back the staff, even when they may have overstepped some lines here and there throughout this thread.


I would really like to see this thread continue as a discussion about the creation of awesome 40k cosplay, and everyone go on about their business like reasonable adults. Is that too much to ask?

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant


Last edited by The Son of Horus; 04-26-13 at 12:24 AM.
The Son of Horus is offline  
post #107 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 12:59 AM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTabby View Post
I shall say one last thing here. This is not aimed at any one person, despite the quote.

There is no such thing as an "inherent right to say what you want". You have the ability to say what you want, but we live within a society that has both written and unwritten rules on what you should say, and what you shouldn't.

Just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should. Take a few minutes to consider consequences before you write/say whatever just popped into your head. Consider that it might offend/be taken wrong/be a truly dickish thing to say full stop.

Too many problems today stem from a lack of responsibility for our own actions. If more people realised that you, and you alone are responsible for what comes out of your mouth, and the consequences of that, then the world would be a nicer place.

Internet anonymity doesn't change that what is being said shouldn't be being said. It's too easy a step to make from "I can say whatever I like because I'm anonymous and will never actually meet these people" to "I'll just talk like that all the time".

Also, just because you're anonymous doesn't mean the person on the recieving end isn't a real person. Try to remember that.

And I've been on this forum a long time. "Dark sense of humour" is not the same as "license to be a twat". Some things are just not funny, and should not be trivialised.

Yes, I have insulted people in my life. But if it's been inadvertant, I've apologised. If it's been intended, it's been bloody obvious. But most importantly, if it's been jokingly, it's been really obvious it's a joke, and never at the expense of personal issues.

If no-one but you can tell it's a joke, then it's not a joke.
EDIT: Know what, never mind. I disagree with you is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
But for the sake of argument, and back to the original topic... that's a freaking sweet suit of Terminator armor. The Imperial Fists one. If I had $2000 to blow right now, I'd probably be trying to get in touch with Roses and Boltshells to make a suit of power armor for me. I love all that kind of stuff...halloween is my favorite holiday, and the idea of tromping around the bars in power armour is super funny in my mind... but also, just having a suit to display in the game room would be very cool, I think.
I do agree with this, and had I any reason whatsoever to own such a suit I would also be seeking out somebody with this level of talent to help me out. Sad fact is there are precious few cons in this country that I could make it to and Halloween isn't widespread enough to justify it either. Also I have near zero storage space for something that size.

There was a time when I was seriously considering a necron costume, complete with cape and faux warscythe. Seeing something like this really makes me want to go for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
I'm not one to rip on other people's hobbies. Unless they're furries. That shit's creepy.
I disagree and you make me cry.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
post #108 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 01:22 AM
Jeep's and Harley's
 
OIIIIIIO's Avatar
OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,997
Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
snip snip


Anyone for a game of spot the difference?
I would take a poke at the green faced one ... I would SO feel like Captain Kirk ... the other ... I have turned down blow jobs from better looking than that ... and I was drunk too.
OIIIIIIO is offline  
post #109 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 03:39 AM
Senior Moderator
 
DeathKlokk's Avatar
DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,719
Reputation: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltshells View Post
my fiance...

Bad form, OIIIIIIO

Strange, but not a Stranger.
DeathKlokk is offline  
post #110 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-26-13, 06:22 AM
Where is Jessica Hyde?
 
humakt's Avatar
humakt's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,182
Reputation: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIIIIIIO View Post
I would take a poke at the green faced one ... I would SO feel like Captain Kirk ... the other ... I have turned down blow jobs from better looking than that ... and I was drunk too.
Now your just been harsh there OIIIIIIO, Im sure she's a lovely girl. I dont like here costume much though. Looks a bit too soft and comfortable to be anything anybody from the Emperium would wear.

Onto the 'build yourself a costume', the only one I have every thought I could pull off would be tau, just on the ground thats I am such a short ass I cant see any other race I could be. That would be faily simple to do design wise, I'd just need some way of hiding my gut.

Your toast has been burnt and no amount of scraping will get rid of the black bits.
humakt is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome