Basing Models? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 07:23 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I think basing is a must. It does lend a finished look too the model.

My preference is always for simple. The base should look good with the model when in hand or a display case, but shouldn't distract from it.

I like to think if the base as an extension of the take or gaming mat. So for me I point my bases green, and use sand/gravel for the top. This way the base looks like a part of the table.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 08:15 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

I just paint my bases light brown and glue some sand on the top. Im building an Armaggedon table so it makes sense, the light base is a great contrast for black minis, and I paint the armor flat black (Rakarth Flesh with 3-4 black washes) so it already gives them a dusty look.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 08:56 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

I prefer* simple basing myself, paint the base (usually black) and then use sand/flock on the top leaving the sides plain.

If units are hard to distinguish between each other I often will paint the edges of the base different colors to denote units. This also has the advantage that if they change squad/unit numbers and layouts a simple band of paint can be used to reorganize units without having to repaint squad markings.

*prefer in my own painting...I love looking at the incredibly intricate and beautiful bases that others are willing to knock themselves out for

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 09:15 PM

kiro the avenger!'s Flag is: England

I always base my minis, I usually do it by painting the whole base what was calthan brown, then glueing on a layer of sand with tufts of grass. High rankers such as sergeants or battlesuits get more intricate bases with maybe some battle field debris or enemy dead, the higher the rank, the better the base

Through temptation and horror
I have held to my faith
As a drowning man grasps at a rock
Judge me not by my weakness
Remember not my sins of late
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 09:22 PM
Angryman

shaantitus's Flag is: Australia

Location: A wretched hive of scum and villany. Actually PNG. Goddamn this place is a shithole.

I only do very basic basing. Sides are black with flock and ballast glued to the top. Nowhere near as advanced as what many people do but it does really help tie the look of all my models together. Sometimes i will throw on a bit of battlefield wreckage if the model warrants it. I use the same combination of flock and ballast on all my terrain too so it looks ok on the table. I like the idea of the sides being color matched for squads or units but for me that won't work. I have too many models and I am forever mixing and matching unit compositions, so I would end up with a rainbow.

Sanity is for the weak.
'Evil will triumph because good is dumb.' Dark Helmet,Spaceballs
According to LUKEVALENTINE's test i am a diciple of khorne. Figures really.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 09:34 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
I have too many models and I am forever mixing and matching unit compositions, so I would end up with a rainbow.
Well I mainly use it for my Harlequin army so the rainbow look works...my marines have more boring squad designations like gun color or kneepad markings.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 09:56 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaantitus View Post
I only do very basic basing. Sides are black with flock and ballast glued to the top. Nowhere near as advanced as what many people do but it does really help tie the look of all my models together. Sometimes i will throw on a bit of battlefield wreckage if the model warrants it. I use the same combination of flock and ballast on all my terrain too so it looks ok on the table. I like the idea of the sides being color matched for squads or units but for me that won't work. I have too many models and I am forever mixing and matching unit compositions, so I would end up with a rainbow.
Bit of the opposite myself. I keep practicing techniques until I find something I like though I've never gone too complicated.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-17-13, 11:00 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Basing makes your minis look worse.

There, I said it. It's true.

I admit, before I knew anything about the hobby I saw some random mini somewhere and thought 'Oh, there's even sand on the base, that's sort of cool'. I thought it was a fun gimmick.

Then I learned that it was, bizarrely, standard practice. It baffles the imagination. The idea that someone would take care to paint up a nice mini and then decide it's not done without beach sand and surplus asbestos fibres in a shade of atomic green unknown to nature.

Last year a friend of mine suddenly said in the middle of a Fantasy game, out-of-the-blue 'hey, none of your models are based!'. He was surprised. I'd been playing this guy for over a year at that point - he'd seen my Elves grow from 500 points to 2'500, week by week. He'd never once noticed that every one has a plain black base.

Well of course he hadn't. The eye just slides right over a plain black base, ignores it, edits it out of reality. When he looks at my army all he sees are painted models (since I've never fielded an unpainted one). When I look at the painted parts of his army all I see are little squares of sand dotted with spiky tufts of acid-green pubes.

I am aware that mine is a minority position, but what bothers me is that my fully-painted (and I don't just mean three colours) armies with inconspicuous plain black bases catch more flak and provoke more opprobrious comments than the rest of my club's unpainted armies combined.

You'll never hear anyone at my club say 'Are you going to paint that unit, Clive?', but 'You should really flock your bases, Azezel' is a regular thing every few months. It rather gets to a chap...

Painting is optional, but you have to sand and flock your god damned bases.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

Last edited by Azezel; 04-17-13 at 11:04 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 12:12 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I tend to think plain black is bit lacking but a single color painted on the base can be easily enough.

If you consider those folks with unpainted or poorly painted armies, their bases are almost always as shabby as the rest of the army. So in many cases it makes sense to require models to be based. However if you do a proper job painting to begin with, I think you earn a lot of leeway with your bases, and if you want plain black them so be it.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-18-13, 03:10 AM

furyion's Flag is: USA

I see basing as an optional detail.

If the models in question are not part of something that is intended to look amazing in the first place or you don't think it would improve the aesthetics then don't worry about it. My Imperial Guard and Blood Angels are painted (or getting there) but I haven't even thought to base them because I just have them because I like the way they play. They're lucky they got painted.

If the models are part of an army that is intended to look good or if basing would make the army look better then go for it. Many hobbyist don't consider a model complete unitl it is based. My Tau and fantasy Empire are getting based, mainly because I thought the models needed an extra bit of color (Empire) or basing would go with my fluff (Tau). And bases don't have to be anything extravagant either; I usually only do one layer of highlights on my bases and they look pretty good.

Just my two cents.

If you are normal the crowd will accept you...
If you are deranged the crowd will make you thier leader.

Quote:
With my luck I will roll 3 1's but fail 4 armour saves, trip over a hormagaunt and kill myself.
- MadCowCrazy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode