Marine Rant - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Ouroboros's Flag is: Australia

Default Marine Rant

As a xenos player I am relatively used to disappointment, but ever more so I find myself not only fighting a outdated codex but games workshops utter disregard for anything thats not IoM and in particular Space Marines.

A space marine army can do almost everything my eldar army can, cheaper and with overall tougher troops who ignore or abuse to there favor most of the rules that put some risk into the game for others. ATSKNF and Drop Pod Assault being two of the main culprits there.

I am left in the position of either fielding some of the cheesiest lists possible for 6th edition, or accepting that I am taking a voluntary handicap for the sake of variety. It also helps little when games workshop seems to release as a addition to marines some new thing every few months in the form of a white dwarf update for a new vehicle or something, the last thing I've seen the xenos get in that format? The Nightspinner.

The game has sadly diverged from a human standard to the stats to a marine standard, and anything that doesn't measure up is simply sub par, but this is what happens when a game gets broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 07:43 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Haven't seen the new Tau yet have you?

The problem you have with Eldar isn't "Xeno Hate" but rather your Codex is now 2 editions behind. This is something that will change soon-ish if the rumours are to be believed.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

I have seen the new tau and its nice, just like the dark eldar are a amazing codex. I also was not speaking specifically of my own army. But rather even if we get a nice handout, its sadly nothing compared to what the marines are consistently given. Not only in codex form but upgrades, new vehicles that come between codex releases.

How many new vehicles have vanilla marines recieved since there codex was released? Off the top of my head I can think of the storm talon, storm raven and I believe a landraider variant? There FAQs also seem rather, friendlier, towards the capabilities such as the continual improvement of Drop Pod Assault, or rapid fire yet again improving in the core book.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 07:59 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

That's the advantage of popularity.

As you've no doubt noticed the other races, Eldar in particular, get a lot of that stuff through Forgeworld which are the "low volume" side of GW's business.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

True but then we enter the whole FW arguement, and while I personally do like FW (I run a wraithseer in my Iyanden army) allot of people do not, leading to me always packing yriel and a few extra harlequins to make the points up if I go to play, just in case. People seem especially rabid about the nightwing, though have you 'seen' the firestorm? Urgh.

Perhaps I should point out if they invested in a hydra 1/3rd of my nightwings price they could ignore that much over valued jink save.

Last edited by Ouroboros; 04-13-13 at 08:30 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 08:36 AM

Personally if my opponent brings a average list and I bring an average list I can pull of wins usually.
However if my opponent plays a cheesy list my average list can't stand up to it and I have to use cheesy tactics.
The point is if someone plays a cheesy list consistently against u its fine to use cheese back against them.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 09:30 AM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

It was this bit that made me chuckle a little....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post

The game has sadly diverged from a human standard to the stats to a marine standard, and anything that doesn't measure up is simply sub par, but this is what happens when a game gets broken.
So much so I'm actually going to +rep you for it.

SMs have pretty much always been the standard for the game, the poster boys as it were.

No other race has ever had a main stream box set game named after them (Space Marine from the old days of Epic).

You could possibly argue that the 'human' stat line was the base back in Rogue Trader but the thing all non SM players have to console themselves to eventually is, like it or not 40K is based around Marines in play, sales and background.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 09:43 AM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

OK, let's get a couple of facts straight. Yes, there is a heavy emphasis on Space Marines in 40k, and there always has been. They were one of the original armies, and GW has pushed that from the beginning. However, it is also important to realise that 40k is a setting in a future galaxy, with the emphasis being on the Imperium of mankind. If we were doing this from say, the Eldar's perspective the whole thing would have been set in their prime. Or from the Necrons' etc.

The point being, there's more emphasis on Marines because the setting of 40k focusses on the Imperium. Thus we see their factions more often, and thus they are more popular - basic rule #1: more attention = more people playing. The xenos are the extras, not even the main antagonists in this setting. GW could have completely not bothered with xenos factions and left it purely as the Imperium vs Chaos. Yes, Imperial Guard and Ordos forces arguably see less attention, but really that's due possibly due to a lack of variety in the former's case, and (through GW reasoning) a lack of sales on the latter's part, with reference to Sisters.

In short:
1. Space Marines are the original concept of 40k, and so will always be pushed harder than other factions.
2. This is also because they sell well, which perpetuates itself into getting Marines more attention.
3. In an Imperium-focussed setting, xenos are going to see less attention than Imperial forces. Because they're like the icing on the cake of Man vs Chaos.
4. Why are you complaining anyway? This is the highest activity of any xenos updates we've seen in years - Eldar, Orks and Tyranids are all rumoured to be on the way, with Necrons and Tau now fully competitive, and Dark Eldar at least aesthetically playable.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 11:38 AM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

Tau and Daemons were both updated recently. And BT is my main; you know nothing of being disregarded.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

This is all true, but in large part I think it is due to the marines being so heavily favored that they are so popular. As well as being a relatively easy army to play? T4, S4 for only 2 pts more than a dire avenger? If we are to go by the DA codex as a benchmark for future marine point values.

As for the black templar, they have benefited from association with the other marine factions, the codex having aged remarkably well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode