Marine Rant - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 01:36 PM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

Relax, man. This is the edition of the Xenos. I play Dark Eldar, and they're awesome. I play Imperial Guard, and they're even more awesome. Possibly the winning-est army in 40k at this point, particularly where Apocalypse is concerned. Tau codex looks to be amazing and the long-awaited Eldar update is just around the corner.

Sure, GW will update marines because marines sell. And half of the armies on the actual tabletop are probably going to be marines because it's what a lot of people want. But for once, GW aren't neglecting all other armies in favor of marines.

So really, I don't understand your point at all.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 02:22 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
This is all true, but in large part I think it is due to the marines being so heavily favored that they are so popular.
They are so heavily favoured because they are what 40k is all about. The cover of the original rule book Rogue Trader was a scene depicting space marines. All the missions in the book involved Crimson Fists. You have to remember that the target demographic has always been teens/young adults that might still harbor dreams of becoming the superheroes they read about in comics and novels. Thus, when they see genetically modified human super soldiers waging war on a galactic scale they are always going to be more attracted to them than whiney emo limp wristed aliens.

It's only later in their journey through the hobby that most players decide to try something different and maybe a bit more difficult to use, like eldar. I'm pretty sure this is the same for most people on here, that their first army was a SM one of one type or another. Because of that, it's always going to be a fact that vanilla SMs will get a codex with every edition while others get neglected over two or even three editions, with bigger, nastier new toys every time because they sell like plastic crack all year round, unlike other armies who might only sell really well around the release of their new codex.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 02:57 PM

DecrepitDragon's Flag is: Scotland

What a strange issue to raise. Others have covered the popularity of SM's so I'll add nothing more about that, but as for the "2 points" less comment - Eh? Just what? . .

Yes the Eldar dex is old. Yes it may, in fact almost certainly does, have inconsistencies with points values. So what?

That issue has almost everything to do with its age rather than its race.

If, as you say, all SM armies are OP because they get more love (yes, the paraphrasing is mine there), then within a short period of time, all, or most Xeno's races would be squatted, because fewer people would play/buy them.

Tau just got blistering sales to the point of stock shortages.

Yet SoB and BT haven't seen much favouratism in a long, long time.

Frankly mate, your argument has some serious flaws.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Visit my Tower Terrain Plog here.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 03:04 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Rumours currently put Eldar as a release for this year. In June no less. So hold your horses. At least you're not playing Sisters and have to play a scavenger hunt to find your codex second hand AND play with an all metal (outside of the Immolator Kit which is plastic, and the Exorcist which is partially plastic) army.

I mean seriously, Eldar were last updated in 4th. When where CSM and DA last updated? 4th. The only two Marine armies to even get attention since this edition started have been from the same edition as the Eldar so I don't think the bitching is justified yet. Come back when your codex is out of print, your army is in blisters only and there is no talk of ANY kind coming out of GW then you can bitch. Until then learn some perspective and go look in the rumours section for the list of Eldar rumours which have been bouncing around since -last year-.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 03:06 PM

Melikor40k's Flag is: Australia

GW will usually make the newest codex the most powerful or to counter the previous most powerful codex, it means the win at all costs tourney players have to go out and buy a new army and all the kiddies who are just getting into the game, they are constantly bombarded by whatever is new from the GW staff.

Also each edition changes in the way that whatever was the hottest ticket is now irrelevant (foot for 4th, tanks for 5th, flyers for 6th) so if they ever bring out a 7th expect all those flyers to be nerfed to uselessness its part of the cycle, make people buy the newest and the best if you resist you get left behind with a mediocre army

just like allies is a marketing ploy to buy more codexes for 2-3 units in your army.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 03:13 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melikor40k View Post
GW will usually make the newest codex the most powerful or to counter the previous most powerful codex, it means the win at all costs tourney players have to go out and buy a new army and all the kiddies who are just getting into the game, they are constantly bombarded by whatever is new from the GW staff.

Also each edition changes in the way that whatever was the hottest ticket is now irrelevant (foot for 4th, tanks for 5th, flyers for 6th) so if they ever bring out a 7th expect all those flyers to be nerfed to uselessness its part of the cycle, make people buy the newest and the best if you resist you get left behind with a mediocre army

just like allies is a marketing ploy to buy more codexes for 2-3 units in your army.
That was GW's updating strategy in 5th, but 6th has resulted in a lot of fairly well balanced armies with balanced options.

Also, Tau already killed the All-Flyer army. So the nerfs on flyers have already begun.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 05:25 PM

Calistrasza's Flag is: Canada

Marines have always been the poster boys. Before it was the Ultravanillamarines it was the Crimson Fists. People naturally gravitate towards the segment of anything that seems like it gets the most attention- I got my apartment because the complex administrator lives beneath me, so I know anything that breaks will be fixed here ASAP.

So, marines get all the fluff, the novels, the pictures, the short stories, the posters, the bakers, the candlestick makers, and the rest of us wait 11 or so years between codex releases.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-13, 08:07 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

So much so that Marines are poster boys is that they are among the worst of the codexes.

Eldar are worst done to now, but if you played them back in 4th, you could've jogged right on.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Ouroboros's Flag is: Australia

Actually started eldar back in late 3rd in highschool. But dropped the game for many years due to being excessively poor. Even have both 3rd books, which was nice of GW giving options for different craftworlds along with characters for a few, like the named warlock. Her armour of vaul rules are more associated with dark angels these days however, the whole Ld check counting as armour save thing.

Last edited by Ouroboros; 04-14-13 at 02:00 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-13, 03:17 PM
Jeepers

Loli's Flag is: United Kingdom

The thing is that the Eldar thing is mostly down to age, Tau, Cron and DE were all in the same position and now look at them. Tau looks to slaughter flyer lists and is just all round awesome, Necron is a powerhouse, DE seem solid enough. Heck C:SM is one of the weakest codexes now. Plus with the rate the Xenos are getting done, there is a risk of Marines getting left behind by all accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"Bubbles"....?

The Old World just became a fart in the bath.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode