Eldar RUMORS - Page 57 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #561 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 03:32 PM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Being an MC, it will likely only shoot 2 weapons a turn unless otherwise noted.

One this is certain for me though; I will definitely be fielding Canoptek Spyders with Gloom Prisms a lot more often now.

Last edited by The Sturk; 05-30-13 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #562 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 05:43 PM

Well I think for the capacity I would go with the Serpent still, plus with its offensive shield options. On the other hand I do like utilizing the transport options that come with the Falcon, like I feel bad paying points and not using it, but with a 3+ that's not bad. Plus at flat out you do make it buy less predictable anyway.
post #563 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
We're not yet sure on that. There are likely hidden goodies not yet told to us, waiting for us to find them, like coins in the couch.
I like the simile! Although, in order to afford the Wraithlord, I'm going to need to find aloooot of coins in my couch....

The Grey Knights: Because Huzzah for Blind Faith and Unreasonable Hatred!

post #564 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-30-13, 09:46 PM

Pre-order is at the store, 1 block away, and I can't get my hands on it until Sunday evening

Why do I have to leave town...

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo
post #565 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 06:45 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

This codex is offensively bad.
Not only are most of the units in it absolutely awful, but it was clearly written who has absolutely no appreciation of the entire mindset of the Eldar.

I think that it should be boycotted by everyone, the 4th ed one did the race better justice, even though it was still pretty bad by and large.

I encourage everyone who bought it to demand a refund on the grounds that it is of an unacceptably poor quality product, and in doing so voice your outrage at how poorly written and designed it is in almost every aspect.
post #566 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 07:26 PM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
Not only are most of the units in it absolutely awful, but it was clearly written who has absolutely no appreciation of the entire mindset of the Eldar.

I think that it should be boycotted by everyone, the 4th ed one did the race better justice, even though it was still pretty bad by and large.

I encourage everyone who bought it to demand a refund on the grounds that it is of an unacceptably poor quality product, and in doing so voice your outrage at how poorly written and designed it is in almost every aspect.
This reminds me of that BoLS 'article' that went up today: unnecessarily negative and honestly pretty annoying.

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).
post #567 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 07:28 PM
Digg40k's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom48 View Post
This reminds me of that BoLS 'article' that went up today: unnecessarily negative and honestly pretty annoying.
Agreed. Such stark cynicism is annoying at best and downright moronic at worst.
post #568 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 07:40 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
So you're saying Jes Goodwin and Phil Kelly, the people who wrote the Dark Eldar book and the last Eldar codex don't understand Eldar? I'm sorry, but Jes is the reason you have anything design-wise to call "Eldar" and is involved in writing all of their stuff. I think if it got his stamp of approval it's "Eldar".

Quote:
So older is better? Period, huh? No discussions of Swooping Hawks no-scatter deepstriking, no discussion of Aspects having a 3+ -and- Fleet. No discussion that a lot of the history is pulled from the old codexes and new stuff is just sprinkled in to add more to the lore of the race. Just it's worse and we should all want to go back to the older, less powerful, and all around worse book.

You know, these statements of yours, which scream that they're coming from a very specific, almost neckbeardish area (due to a lack of any sort of specific reasoning, just a blanket statment that can be summed up to "IT SUCKS!"), would be better served by explaining why the new book is better.

First rule of writing: show, don't tell.

Quote:
So you're basically trying to institute the same sort of reaction people where having to the other codexes in 6th so far? Reject it no matter what? I'm sorry, but all I've got so far is the leaked information about unit statlines and wargear, and your broad, undefined statements that reek of an unsupported opinon and from that I should be upset about the book?

6th Edition hasn't been about "who gets the best toys", or "who has the shiniest codex" to date. These books are coming out about 3x as fast as ever have a better internal balance between new and old units as well as a better external balance between each other than we've seen in basically forever and are fairly reasonably well written. But you want me to throw that viewpoint of this edition out the window and demand a refund on Eldar? I'll say to this what I've said to the other similiar reactions to date:

No.

No, I will not demand the studio stop working their ass off to bring us these books. No, I will not demand that every codex compete in an arms race with each other to try and sell the most toys. No, I will not tell GW that I want them to go back to making old units god-awful just to sell me a new toy. No, I will not participate in any kind of lynching of a company that has shown more effort in their work since 6th dropped than they did when I started playing in 3rd Edition.

You can feel free to stew about and throw a pity party but from what I've seen in other codexes, rumours about this one (not to mention the leaks from people getting theirs early), I have no reason to demand my money back. I'm excited to see this new codex, and I'm itching to get my copy so I can see what's new, what's changed and try and work out how to fit it all together.

You may have lost that sense of excitement and magic but don't go forcing it on other people just because you forgot how to enjoy the game for being a game rather than expecting it to meet some imaginary expectations you set for it that were (most likely) out of proportion with this edition to date.
post #569 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 07:47 PM

Winterous's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstrom48 View Post
It's genuinely awful.

Exarch powers don't make any sense, they should benefit the unit, and most of them are awful anyway.

Warlocks can't determine their powers before they get split off to units.

Wraith Lords are far too expensive now.

The fliers are made of paper, for their cost they die far too easily.

Scorpions are pretty much unusable now, the Mandiblasters change neutered them pretty harshly.

The Psychic Powers are mostly garbage, and the lack of reliability is extremely un-Eldar; they should be able to re-roll their power rolls, or at least Farseers should.

Starcannon are still terrible and overpriced (except on a few things, but they're still bad overall).

The Wraithknight's weapon options are awful, the sword is worth LESS than his standard weapons by far, and the Suncannon is ludicrously expensive. It can't even fire more than two weapons (meaning you can't take advantage of the Scatter Laser's great ability properly).

Fire Dragons are far more expensive than they should be.

There's basically no point in taking the Warp Spider Exarch, since his powers are all terrible and massively overpriced (TWIN LINKED GUN ON A BS5 MODEL, REALLY?), and you don't really gain a damn thing from him being there.

Most of the Phoenix Lords are just plain bad, and don't do what they should, which is modify the FOC to favour their aspect and provide buffs to the unit they join (like all Exarchs should do).

Yriel is a shadow of his former self.

Eldrad is way too expensive for how massively gimped he is.

They now have basically no Psychic defenses, which makes absolutely no sense.

Runes of Warding and Witnessing are nothing like what they ought to be.

The person who authored this codex should be ashamed, they have absolutely no goddamn idea what the Eldar are all about, and have written a horribly underpowered waste of money.
This book is practically unusable in competitive play, there's a lot of good changes (battle whatever and shuriken weapons being two of them), but almost everything else has been made absolutely awful.

It's offensive, they've shown an absolute lack of respect and understanding of one of the most interesting and important 40k races, and the entire codex needs to be re-written by someone who actually knows how Eldar should work.

Last edited by Winterous; 05-31-13 at 07:51 PM.
post #570 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-31-13, 07:53 PM

d3m01iti0n's Flag is: USA

Just think......you could have gone without an update for 9 years and be in danger of losing your book.

/firstworldproblems

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode