Eldar RUMORS - Page 27 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #261 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:27 PM

Nope, that's 100% 'Merican. Which means I'm looking at a rather large investment. This is precisely why I've been walking to work lately. Its only 3 miles and its saved me hundreds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:32 PM

Pandawithissues...'s Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
This seems to be the theme with new releases at the moment, CSM suffered the same crap with their release. People are crying out for plastic cult troops, a plastic kit for Oblits and resculpts for characters, especially Abaddon the despoiling midget. What we get is downs syndrome oblits and mutilators in failcast, a giant monkey dreadnought thing and the chicken from hell. Its nice to get new stuff but GW really need to start looking at how dated so much of their range is, for the producers of "the best toy soldiers in the world" its getting to be beyond a joke.
Didn't you get cultists in the boxed game? If GW didn't release them separately, that's their own stupidity, but it's not like they aren't available. Are people really unhappy with the obliterators? I think they're nice sculpts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I have a theory on what they're doing, and I'd love to be told it's right or wrong by someone in the know but here it is:

GW is pushing small updates to bring all the 40k armies in line prior to Fantasy coming out in 2015. This is an attempt to balance the game out by putting the releases closer together, but it cuts into the budgets of each army production wise limiting the number of things they can update at one time. Once that is done 40k will then switch to a supplement/wave release pattern while the spotlight is focused on Fantasy instead.

That's my theory anyways. If anyone knows different or more I'm sure we'd all like to know!
I'm worried about fantasy. None of the recent releases have shown even a smidgen of excitement, sculpt wise at least. Despite having a sizable high elf army (and rarely being able to resist nice new models) the HE release might has well not even happened for me. The wood elf range (along with the dark eldar plastics) are the best things GW has produced, and are the peak. It's been really rather disappointing since in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
That may be what they're doing, but I don't see how it supports the argument for releasing new kits instead of bringing old ones up to date - e.g. Riptide vs revamped Crisis/Fire Warrior kits, Maulerfiend vs Cult Troops and Wraithknight vs every single Eldar special character?

Quite frankly I'd love for our codex to have not a single new unit, but simply to adjust points costs, update rules, shuffle the FoC slightly (through HQ unlocks and Walkers into FA) and resculpt every model over 10 years old.
Again, I'd contend that the crisis suits still look pretty solid, much like the fire warriors and tanks. The only thing they lack is dynamic posability. They were core to the design aesthetic of the Tau, and that is still adhered to with the excellent new models from the recent release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
I agree with you re the knight- it was created to tick the every army big monster tick box that is next to the flyer tick box, that said I still think its pretty cool.

For the jet bikes I think the main problem is the torsos of the riders, If they are swapped out for guardian ones they look much better. Shame this is a really tough conversion

Also agree on the Phoenix lords (I'd throw in Eldrad into this if he's still in the book, as he's technically dead), they look pretty awful, and very flat. Jain Zar is probably the worse and Karandras is the best but still
The tick box of 'big model, flier' for each army is incredibly dull. As is the 'slightly different tweaked kit option' like the mawlock/trygon, screaming bell/plague censer thing. It's just lazy in my opinion and ends up homogenising armies, when what should really be celebrated and focused upon is the extraordinary diversity or ranges GW produce (excluding power armour, which is obviously dull as hell and incredibly similar, except for the sisters). The 2 in one kits just don't look different enough for me to take them seriously. It's a weird mental thing for me.

I don't understand why they haven't redone the jetbikes. They clearly put a lot of work and thought into how to put the Dark Eldar ones together/onto the sprues. With all that learned, you'd have thought it wold be relatively simple to apply that to the Eldar ones with a slightly different design aesthetic.

I don't think any of the Phoenix Lord models are really particularly passable now. They, and inexplicably the recent Autarchs, are very cardboard cut out 2d.

Death magnetic: 5 slabs of vinyl: Pure spinning ecstasy.
post #263 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:41 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandawithissues... View Post
Didn't you get cultists in the boxed game? If GW didn't release them separately, that's their own stupidity, but it's not like they aren't available.
By Cult troops they mean plastic Noise marines, plastic plague marines, updated berserkers and plastic Thousand sons

It looks like for cult troops everyone is stuck with 3rd ed models for these or go the forgeworld route who already have berserkers and plague marines, and will shorty be releasing Kakophi marines

post #264 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:46 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Aren't the cultists the "push together" types like the AoBR mini's ?

You couldn't get the AoBR mini's separately either if I recall correctly?
post #265 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:55 PM

So we are pretty confident that pre-orders will be up this Saturday?

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo
post #266 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:57 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandawithissues... View Post
Didn't you get cultists in the boxed game? If GW didn't release them separately, that's their own stupidity, but it's not like they aren't available. Are people really unhappy with the obliterators? I think they're nice sculpts.
As already stated I meant cult troops as Tsons, Plague Marines, Noise Marines and Berserkers. I dislike the oblits intensely, its such a lazy sculpt and looks massively out of place in my opinion. As for the cultists, they are a joke, they're nice sculpts there's just not enough of them, to field them in any sort of numbers you just end up with the same model over and over again, which I hate.

But that's enough of my chaos grumbles, back to the Eldar and their let down release.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #267 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 11:26 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

After having a chat with the distribution rep from Games Workshop, who had the book in front of him and told me what he could...

-The release schedule includes the following items:

Codex Eldar
Codex Eldar Supplement: Iyanden
Eldar Wraithknight plastic box (This thing is huge, and retails at $115)
Eldar Wraithguard plastic box
Eldar Dire Avengers 5-man plastic box
Eldar Hemlock Wraithfighter plastic box
Eldar Windrider Jetbike Squadron plastic box
Eldar Spiritseer Finecast clam
Eldar Farseer plastic clam

There is also an upgrade pack in Finecast to make an Autarch on a jetbike.

As far as the actual Codex goes:

-You can make Run moves in addition to shooting Shuriken weapons.

-Shuriken weapons have a rule which makes them ignore armor on a to-wound roll of a 6-- similar to rending, but it's not actually the Rending rule.

-The Wraithknight starts at about 250 points and caps around 350, and towers over even the Tau Riptide. It's 9'' tall. The Wraithknight has the ability for its weapons to become twin-linked if it hits with a scatter laser it comes equipped with, even against airborne targets. It can shoot S9 and 10 small blasts, and has a total of four weapons on it-- you have a choice of several, including a huge wraithblade and a lance weapon.

- Wraithguard are cheaper both points-wise and financially speaking, and are now S5 and T6, and have the option to be equipped with Wraithblades as per the current Codex's in place of their guns, making them a dangerous close combat unit.

- Including a Spiritseer as a HQ choice allows you to bring Wraithguard as Troops.

- Expect Guardians to supplant Dire Avengers as the staple Troops choice-- they're very points efficient and with the buff to shuriken weapons, they should expect to be in a lot of competitive armies.

-The Fire Prism has been nerfed a bit-- basically, they want to drive people back towards Aspect Warrior and Wraith-heavy armies, rather than the mechanized Eldar army literally everyone and their brother played with the exact same list. Can't really say to what extent, but the purchasing advice was to "Not load up on them."

-The Avatar is "Definitely better."

-The Iyanden supplement is not a splash release, and will be normally available. Iyanden is strictly a fluff book, and contains no game rules. The rules to play a themed Iyanden army are found completely in Codex: Eldar. This is a move to appease people who want more fluff in books as well as people who would rather just have more game content with the fluff optional. This is an experiment in seeing how this works-- if it does well, expect Games Workshop to continue with the release of "chapter-specific" fluff supplements for their Codex releases.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Last edited by The Son of Horus; 05-20-13 at 11:52 PM.
post #268 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
As already stated I meant cult troops as Tsons, Plague Marines, Noise Marines and Berserkers. I dislike the oblits intensely, its such a lazy sculpt and looks massively out of place in my opinion. As for the cultists, they are a joke, they're nice sculpts there's just not enough of them, to field them in any sort of numbers you just end up with the same model over and over again, which I hate.

But that's enough of my chaos grumbles, back to the Eldar and their let down release.
My only issue beyond the lack of's is that you can still get Tsons and Noise Marines if you're interested in buying enough upgrade packs... and loading up on useless extra sorcerers. If they at least made him a seperate item from the upgrade I would have understood, no logical reason to have 4 of them to just get helmets. Similar complaint with the cultists, only way to get more than 5 types of scuplts and actual weapons your stuck with getting them out of DV sets... sort of silly to not provide the upgrades somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
After having a chat with the distribution rep from Games Workshop, who had the book in front of him and told me what he could...
Mainly like the sound of this. Most of what I have is more Aspect oriented rather than mechanized so yay for benefiting me I guess.

With Jetbikes/Jetbike upgrades and a plastic Farseer I'm curious if that will make a Jetbike Counsel easier to buy/build.

Even with the Shuriken upgrades I see using Guardians (good) though if the range is the same and Blade Storm is still fun I still see loving Avengers.

Overall this isn't sounding to bad to me. As long as the stupid that happened with 6th Ed to the army is undone I'll be happy.
post #269 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 01:32 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Nice find there Horus. That's got me interested to see more. I may finally start and Iyanden army this edition.
post #270 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 02:03 AM

I'm sorry, but I have to get this out there...

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode