Eldar RUMORS - Page 26 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #251 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 08:53 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
This seems to be the theme with new releases at the moment, CSM suffered the same crap with their release. People are crying out for plastic cult troops, a plastic kit for Oblits and resculpts for characters, especially Abaddon the despoiling midget. What we get is downs syndrome oblits and mutilators in failcast, a giant monkey dreadnought thing and the chicken from hell. Its nice to get new stuff but GW really need to start looking at how dated so much of their range is, for the producers of "the best toy soldiers in the world" its getting to be beyond a joke.
I have a theory on what they're doing, and I'd love to be told it's right or wrong by someone in the know but here it is:

GW is pushing small updates to bring all the 40k armies in line prior to Fantasy coming out in 2015. This is an attempt to balance the game out by putting the releases closer together, but it cuts into the budgets of each army production wise limiting the number of things they can update at one time. Once that is done 40k will then switch to a supplement/wave release pattern while the spotlight is focused on Fantasy instead.

That's my theory anyways. If anyone knows different or more I'm sure we'd all like to know!

Last edited by Zion; 05-20-13 at 08:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:00 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
GW is pushing small updates to bring all the 40k armies in line prior to Fantasy coming out in 2015. This is an attempt to balance the game out by putting the releases closer together, but it cuts into the budgets of each army production wise limiting the number of things they can update at one time. Once that is done 40k will then switch to a supplement/wave release pattern while the spotlight is focused on Fantasy instead.
That may be what they're doing, but I don't see how it supports the argument for releasing new kits instead of bringing old ones up to date - e.g. Riptide vs revamped Crisis/Fire Warrior kits, Maulerfiend vs Cult Troops and Wraithknight vs every single Eldar special character?

Quite frankly I'd love for our codex to have not a single new unit, but simply to adjust points costs, update rules, shuffle the FoC slightly (through HQ unlocks and Walkers into FA) and resculpt every model over 10 years old.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #253 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:13 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
Quite frankly I'd love for our codex to have not a single new unit, but simply to adjust points costs, update rules, shuffle the FoC slightly (through HQ unlocks and Walkers into FA) and resculpt every model over 10 years old.
Got to agree with Sethis on this point, I actually quite like the forgefiend but I'd swap it for plastic cult troops and a new Abaddon at the drop of a hat.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

post #254 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:20 PM
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
That may be what they're doing, but I don't see how it supports the argument for releasing new kits instead of bringing old ones up to date - e.g. Riptide vs revamped Crisis/Fire Warrior kits, Maulerfiend vs Cult Troops and Wraithknight vs every single Eldar special character?

New kits generate interest for the army outside of the core fanbase that they'd be catering to with only updating the old models. Think of it as newbie bait. Use the shinies to attact them and then BAM you got sales from a whole new target.

And let's be frank, YOU may not care if you get a new unit but I can bet someone else does.
post #255 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 09:46 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

I have to be honest and say if I own a unit (even very old previous version) I generally will not buy the updated sculpts. (The only exception to this is chaos warriors and knights)

I have a tonne of Jetbikes, seers and swooping hawks and will not be changing them even if they are redo. I have a tonne of the old metal HE seaguard and phoenix guard not changing. I have old broadsides not changing them

By releasing new kits GW guarantee sales from current as well as new players

While updates and rescupts are nice, once a lot of players own a unit that's it.

I still like the current aspect warriors but they are not packaged well (other than DRs) with the need to buy multiple packs of 6 rather than boxes of 10
post #256 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:06 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Conversely, I've been holding off on buying Jetbikes for all of 5th edition simply because the models are so completely awful. If I was to have a single big wish for this release, then Jetbikes to equal the Dark Eldar would have been it, followed by a complete redo of every Phoenix Lord.

I'm not saying that mine is the only opinion that matters. However I've been playing since 2nd Edition with Eldar and never once thought "Hey, there's a hole in my army that I'm really struggling to fill. We need a new unit that can do XYZ". If there are no holes to fill, why create a new unit? Taken as read that every 6th book needs two fliers, we certainly don't need a giant MC or meleeguard - we already have Wraithlords and Wraithguard/melee units that can do the same jobs with some simple point value and rules changes. Unlike the Tau who were really hurting for an "anvil" unit such as the Riptide.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #257 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:27 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

I agree with you re the knight- it was created to tick the every army big monster tick box that is next to the flyer tick box, that said I still think its pretty cool.

For the jet bikes I think the main problem is the torsos of the riders, If they are swapped out for guardian ones they look much better. Shame this is a really tough conversion

Also agree on the Phoenix lords (I'd throw in Eldrad into this if he's still in the book, as he's technically dead), they look pretty awful, and very flat. Jain Zar is probably the worse and Karandras is the best but still
post #258 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 11:18 PM

posted on faiet please be canadian prices please

Oliver BeinlichMay 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Eldar Codex - $49.50
Eldar LE Codex - $100
WH40K PSYCHIC POWERS: ELDAR ENG - $7.50
Farseer - $20
Wraithknight - $115
Wraithguard - $50
Hemlock Wraithfighter - $65
Dire Avengers (5 pack) - $35
Battleforce - $115
Windrider Jetbike Squadron - $40
Spiritseer - $19.25
Illic Nightspear - $19.25
IYANDEN: A CODEX ELDAR SUPPLEMENT - $49.50
IYANDEN CODEX SUPPLEMENT SPECIAL EDITION - $85
post #259 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 11:25 PM
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seermaster View Post
posted on faiet please be canadian prices please

Oliver BeinlichMay 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Eldar Codex - $49.50
Eldar LE Codex - $100
WH40K PSYCHIC POWERS: ELDAR ENG - $7.50
Farseer - $20
Wraithknight - $115
Wraithguard - $50
Hemlock Wraithfighter - $65
Dire Avengers (5 pack) - $35
Battleforce - $115
Windrider Jetbike Squadron - $40
Spiritseer - $19.25
Illic Nightspear - $19.25
IYANDEN: A CODEX ELDAR SUPPLEMENT - $49.50
IYANDEN CODEX SUPPLEMENT SPECIAL EDITION - $85
Sadly that looks like US prices. I'm guessing it's already adjusted for the June price increases.
post #260 of 643 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 11:25 PM

My wallet just ran out the door faster than scalded dog...

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode