Why the Matt Ward hate? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Default Why the Matt Ward hate?

I've heard about the hate people seem to have about Matt Ward and what he's done to the Space Marines. I know he basically idolizes the Ultramarines and Grey Knights, but has he done anything else to change the SM? I've wondered about this for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:19 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

Google is your friend here. Search Matt Ward hate and you will get all the examples you need.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddraig Cymry View Post
I've heard about the hate people seem to have about Matt Ward and what he's done to the Space Marines. I know he basically idolizes the Ultramarines and Grey Knights, but has he done anything else to change the SM? I've wondered about this for a while.
Beats me, like a few others I have yet to see any reasonable arguement supporting all that hate beyond petty bitching.

Now before anyone else comes in with a 'this has been done before, use the search function' let me link you to some of the other threads Do You Support Matt Ward, Why the Matt Ward hate?, and Who is Matt Ward and why does every one hate him?

For anyone wondering why I am pre-empting them on that response, its because it was my first thought but and when I put action to words I found out that these were the only ones I found out of the forty threads it brought up. While some threads may have devolved into Ward hate, you wouldn't know that from title alone.

And beaten by Jac at least.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:22 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

People hate him for Necron and GK fluff more than his smurf fan boyism. He never messed with their fluff (much)

The hate is his later works including strange episodes Eg GKs, being the purest of the pure needing to conscrate their blades with the blood of matyred SoBs in order to fight deamons, Draigo's story etc

The SM book is his most conservative book, and he introduced sternguard and vanguard, (good!).
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:25 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
I know he basically idolizes the Ultramarines and Grey Knights,
As you'll find in most of those threads this misconception is the main reason.

No one really knows anything about Matt Ward or what his out look or attitudes are. Yet they continue to suggest they do.

I'd be willing to bet that the chap has no particular yen for one thing or another but simply writes codices in the manner in which he is briefed.

"Matt Ward's a fucktard/idiot/moron" is actually petulant nerd speak for "I don't particularly like what Mat Ward has written"
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Ddraig Cymry's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Beats me, like a few others I have yet to see any reasonable arguement supporting all that hate beyond petty bitching.

Now before anyone else comes in with a 'this has been done before, use the search function' let me link you to some of the other threads Do You Support Matt Ward, Why the Matt Ward hate?, and Who is Matt Ward and why does every one hate him?

For anyone wondering why I am pre-empting them on that response, its because it was my first thought but and when I put action to words I found out that these were the only ones I found out of the forty threads it brought up. While some threads may have devolved into Ward hate, you wouldn't know that from title alone.

And beaten by Jac at least.
This helps a lot, thanks. It looks to be somewhat undeserved and overreacted. Some of the stuff he wrote seems stupid, (Draigo beating a damn primarch then carving a name on his heart being one of the worst in my mind.) But other than that it seems relatively stupid.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Some of the stuff he wrote seems stupid, (Draigo beating a damn primarch then carving a name on his heart being one of the worst in my mind.) But other than that it seems relatively stupid.
One of the things I always hate is when people bring that up.

-Draigo is noted as being exceptional and he is equipped with gear specifically designed to combat daemons.
-Mortarion is a daemon primarch, and it can generally be assumed that the event took place outside of the warp. Why is this important? Because daemons (which Mortarion now is) are weaker in the material universe and can be pulled back into the warp.
-Mortarion had just finished fighting and killing the previous grand master of the Grey Knights, an individual who was likely no slouch in and of himself.

I mean come on, everything was stacked against Mortarion, I'd have been more surprised if he had been beaten back relatively unscathed. (Some people may try to point out Angron and the hundred Grey Knight terminators that were killed, but I don't recall hearing any grand masters in their ranks and Angron didn't single handedly kill one hundred grey knight terminators.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 10:05 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

I'm with Reeve?

Which one is it OK to be OP?

Why is it not ok for the top daemon hunter to narrowly banish a top daemon but it's fine for a top Daemon to kill the top Daemon hunter?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 10:27 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post

Why is it not ok for the top daemon hunter to narrowly banish a top daemon but it's fine for a top Daemon to kill the top Daemon hunter?
Because in pretty much all other fluff the only thing more powerful than a primarch is/was the Emperor, and when they became empowered by the chaos gods, the only force in the galaxy that could defeat them were either their brothers (Which if you ask Manus, Guilliman and Sanguinius it didn't exactly work out well for them) or the Emperor himself.

So you mean to tell me, that some mortal Grey Knight is as powerful, if not more so, than a Primarch? If a primarch came back and then cut his name in Mortarion (I kind of hope it's Magnus is anyone does do it) you wouldn't have the same hate because it is someone of equal power in the 40k realm. In no case, should anyone, even a top demon hunter, be able to match the power of a Demon Primarch...it's just silly otherwise.

Though, not as silly as Space Marines saying, you know what...let's trust these soulless killing robots.............................

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-15-13, 10:38 PM

maelstrom48's Flag is: USA

I can believe Draigo beating Mortarion, given the Grey Knight vs Daemon argument Darkreever made. But I giggle a bit at the thought of Draigo crouched over Mortarion's prone form holding up a dagger and saying with his tongue stuck between his teeth, "Keep still, damn you! You think I like doing this shit?"

Strikes me as a bit ridiculous, that part. Unless Ward is speaking figuratively! To have someone's name carved into your heart implies that you have a bone to pick with that individual, in my mind. Though I think Ward meant it literally.

I don't dislike Ward. Actually the Blood Angels fluff, he didn't wreck at all. It's more or less the same fluff you saw in the 3rd edition codex and Index Astartes way back when. Rules... I've heard people argue that they're pretty beardy on the tabletop. But I've managed to beat them handily on many occasions.

Oh and on Ultramarines, I believe someone had previously linked an article where Matt Ward is quoted as saying UM are the epitome of what a chapter should be, and basically that every chapter in the Imperium strives to be like them (with a few notable exceptions).

The Grind - April's Featured Fiction winner!
A World Eater survives another day at the office (barely).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode