Why the Matt Ward hate? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 09:41 AM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Not necessarily correct. When they became daemons they inherited every weakness a daemon has. Vulnerability to anti daemon wargear and abilities included, as well as limited sustainability in the Materium.
This is stated where exactly? Regardless of their weakness to Grey Knight wargear, they are still the most powerful beings in the 40k fluff...but there is zero point in talking about this since it's a matter of point of view as others have pointed out. I personally (And a lot of others) find his work to be uninspiring, boring and down right amateurish. He imo shouldn't be writing these books. However, there are others (Magpie obviously), who love the guy's writing....This whole argument reminds me of the writers of 50 shades of grey or Twilight...they get lots of flack about being terrible writers, but there are obviously people who love their work.

Quote:
I do not believe those words were ever uttered.
Clearly I was quoting directly from the book.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 11:22 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
However, there are others (Magpie obviously), who love the guy's writing....
If you think my "love" for Matt Ward's writing is obvious then you need some serious glasses. Fact is I couldn't care less about it or him or anyone else's fluff.

The only thing that shits me is that so many threads that could be filled with useful debate are filled with pointless "hate".
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 12:41 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

i heard a rumour that Matt Ward hates Matt Ward's writing

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 01:42 PM
Feed

Quote:
This is stated where exactly? Regardless of their weakness to Grey Knight wargear, they are still the most powerful beings in the 40k fluff...
Unless I missed my brain somewhere it is explained under the daemon prince entries in either Chaos Daemons or Chaos Space marines (mind you I have not read the new CSM codex so it could be moved or absent from that book). It is also implied that such inherent weaknesses are the reason for certain champions of Chaos not being offered Daemonhood.

On your second point, they are far from the most powerful beings in 40k fluff. Greater Daemons for the most part are still ranked well above daemon princes and even the daemon primarchs are not always the most powerful of their kind. Angron for example even as a daemon prince is outclassed by Doombreed, Khorne's first and most powerful daemon prince who was elevated from a mere human warlord in Mankind's early history.

Quote:
I personally (And a lot of others) find his work to be uninspiring, boring and down right amateurish. He imo shouldn't be writing these books.
Then who should?

Quote:
Clearly I was quoting directly from the book...
Clearly I thought you were...

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 03:00 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Surely it must be possible to have a discussion about Matt Ward without it turning into "Raargh! I hates it!!"

VS.

"Well, haters gonna hate, lol!"

I dislike a lot of Matt Ward's fluff, to me it just comes across as if it was written by a twelve year old fanboy writing about his bestest army ever. I also understand that this is clearly because I have a different view of the 40K universe than he does, what he has to say about things doesn't gel with my own imagination. I don't hate Matt Ward, I just think he's a bit of a dick and not the sort of person I'd want to meet up with for a pint.

On the other hand I also understand that there are people out there who quite like his writing, they are entitled to, its their choice and their game after all. Fluff is a subjective thing, some love things that I hate and vice versa, neither side is right or wrong, its just an opinion.

And the above is where the problems start, for some reason the internet has somehow developed a special function that renders all opinions as fact, to be argued over in a warped attempt to be 'right'. A frank and open exchange of ideas and opinions is one thing, being shouted down for simply having an opinion is completely another.

So, by all means tell the world why you dislike or like or are indifferent to Matt Ward, but please could people learn just to take it on the chin when they disagree? I don't like his stuff, I've explained why but I'll be fucked if I'm getting into a pissing contest over it.

You are welcome to disagree with me, feel free, you won't change my opinion on Matt Ward though.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 03:17 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

to me it seems that a lot of his stuff is based around more what he likes, i don't hate the guy, can't hate someone i never met and am never likely to meet, i just don't like his style of codex.
Some of them seem a little too Uber for me, he seems to put all the descriptions on what he likes and not much on others that he doesn't care for. I don't much care for some of BL authors as i find some of thier witing styles too off the wall but i don't hate them.
As i said bit difficult to hate ppl i never met. Some like Matt Wards style, some don't and i don't thats my choice.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 04:46 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Then who should?
They should be getting real authors to write the books (not come up with the rules mind you, as that is and should remain a studio job, though I also don't like Matt Wards rules either so....), but all the fluff, information (background) on the units and characters should come from the black library writers so at least some sort of canon can be maintained. I'v only read one of his books so for but Aaron Dembski-Bowden's first heretic book was very well done.

It really comes down to two things.

1: Fluff (Side A usually dislikes/hates it, Side B doesn't care or likes it)
2: Rules (Side A usually dislikes/hates it, Side B doesn't care or likes it)

It just so happens that when it comes to both rules and fluff I think he does a bad job, but that's my opinion, and everyone is entitled to one.

In the end, there is no reason to "Hate" Matt Ward he is just some guy at GW who is doing his job, but since people get very emotional when it comes to their plastic space men, you have flares against those perceived as ruining the rules/back story.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
i heard a rumour that Matt Ward hates Matt Ward's writing
I heard Matt Ward proof reads and disapproves all of Matt Wards writings.
I also heard Matt Ward can turn light beer into Guinness just by handing you the glass.

On the plus side, there are some funny Memes for him regardless of which side of the fence you're on.

Last edited by Jace of Ultramar; 03-16-13 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Failing with Memes
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 06:35 PM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

According to Phill Kelly , Matt ward cast three votes in the recent Falklands referendum all to join Argentina (his beard has two votes in Island matters)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-16-13, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
According to Phill Kelly , Matt ward cast three votes in the recent Falklands referendum all to join Argentina (his beard has two votes in Island matters)
I heard Barac Obama is hiring Matt Ward to write his next State of the Nation address and that so far in the first rough draft that snorting warp dust has appeared twice as a reason for current inabilities to work towards stabilizing the US economy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode