What films remind you of 40k? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Blackwire's Flag is: England

Default What films remind you of 40k?

I saw the After Earth trailer yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZIt20emgLY

Ignore for the sake of this post that it is directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I did.

So, I'm sitting here, watching this trailer, and all I can think is, 'If Jaden survives all this then there'd better be Astartes waiting to take him away for neophyte testing.' Given my recent posting on this forum, it's hardly an out of the blue thought. I know Jaden Smith is just fourteen years of age now, and hypothetically probably wouldn't be taken for neophyte testing, though it may just be possible. The first three phases of implants can be simultaneously introduced at fourteen, so maybe he'd still qualify, hypothetically.

Yeah, I know the space ships and tech look too advanced for 40k. Yeah, the thought of Jaden Smith as a Space Marine is more than a little strange. I'm not sure I'll even watch the movie truth be told. But whilst watching this trailer, it's all I could think about. Quarantined Death World for a young warrior to undergo his testing. And to top it, master his fears. Sounds 40k to me.

So what films have reminded you of 40k? I'm not really on about films that inspired 40k. None of that, 'Sentinels are AT-ST's' twoddle. I'm looking for films that seem based of 40k or unintentionally make you think of 40k.

A final note to the moderators/admins: I'm still kinda new to all of this. I checked up on forum rules and read carefully up on where this should be posted. Only doing so when I felt I'd found the right area. So, here's me sounding the atypical forum newbie. I'm sorry if anything is out of place, or done wrong.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

I swear I'd clicked on 40k fluff. Can I get this moved please?

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 01:28 PM

Djinn24's Flag is: USA

Starship Troopers Nids vs IG

Battle Los Angeles IG vs Necrons

Battleship Imperial Navy vs Necron or Tau

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn24 View Post
Starship Troopers Nids vs IG

Battle Los Angeles IG vs Necrons

Battleship Imperial Navy vs Necron or Tau
Aah, Starship Troopers . Had I the money or the sources I'd love to do a 40k re-enactment of Whiskey Outpost. This is most definitely a film I've equated with 40k. Fascist future. An over-hyped glorious military of mankind. Psykers. Propoganda. Of course, Nids vs. Cadians springs to mind.

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 02:25 PM

Durant's Flag is: United Kingdom

SPOILER!!!

SPOILER!!!!

Just in case, ahem, now thats out the way.

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Last edited by normtheunsavoury; 12-13-12 at 06:29 PM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 02:51 PM
Thantis's Flag is: USA

blade runner is the dark ages of technology. Jhonny nemonic also seems like early techpriest upgrades (before they went all flesh is weak) Firefly is very rouge trader to me with imperial law being skirted on the fringe planets. Battlestar is necron infiltration teams (ultimate flayed ones upgrade) Event horizon reminds me of a derilect chaos space hulk. Judge dread is an arbitis tale...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 02:57 PM
Thantis's Flag is: USA

Oh and equillibrium seems like an imperial world to me, complete with cults (sense offenders) and a currupt planetary govenor
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durant View Post
SPOILER!!!

SPOILER!!!!

Just in case, ahem, now thats out the way.

Otherwise it is an interesting idea. I can't think of any films that have come that close to a live-action Astartes on screen. The prospect of that makes me giddy alone.

Last edited by normtheunsavoury; 12-13-12 at 06:28 PM.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thantis View Post
blade runner is the dark ages of technology. Jhonny nemonic also seems like early techpriest upgrades (before they went all flesh is weak) Firefly is very rouge trader to me with imperial law being skirted on the fringe planets. Battlestar is necron infiltration teams (ultimate flayed ones upgrade) Event horizon reminds me of a derilect chaos space hulk. Judge dread is an arbitis tale...
Yes. Maybe. Haven't seen. Haven't seen. And I believe Judge Dredd came first. 70's if I recall (comics, not films). It's what makes the Arbites so fun is that they're a bunch of pseudo-judges. Maybe tribute is a better word. But whenever an enforcer appears in a game of Inquisitor you can bet there's a bunch of us yelling 'I am the law!', or, 'There's an iso-cube with your name on it'.

Equilibrium was one of the first films I watched whilst getting into 40k that I thought had some slight similarities to 40k. Maybe Bale was in training to join the Vindicare Ordo. I'd give an arm and a leg to get a Batman parody going where he's trying to rid Necromunda of crime using a future-tech spyrer rig.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-13-12, 03:14 PM

Durant's Flag is: United Kingdom

EVEN MORE SPOILERS!!! Kinda...

Unless a filmaker goes all out "GW sue me" and puts guys in a armoured suites and calls them Space Marines we arent going to see anythuing spot on, but just for sheer wish fulfilment that we may eventually see them on the big screen then it was enough for me

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

Last edited by normtheunsavoury; 12-13-12 at 06:27 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode