Tyranid assistance - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-12, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

Default Tyranid assistance

can anyone direct me to a thread/site/parts unknown thats full of excellent tips that is anything NID, like painting, good army builds etc.

EDIT!!!!: has the 6th ed. Nid book landed yet?

Last edited by Warlord_Winters; 11-17-12 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-12, 06:29 AM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

To answer the second question first, no, there is not 6th ed Nid book.

For the first, have you checked the army list section for Army builds? And our Painting/Hobby area for paint schemes?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-12, 01:36 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

Although it's counter-intuitive, the most potent Tyranid builds I've played against are all shooty. Be sure to take plenty of shooting units, like Hive Guard. Then add a Tervigon or two for guarding objectives and spewing out troops. Some flying monstrous creatures help guard the skies, and a strong HQ will help swing close combats in your favor.

Most importantly, don't go for a 'charge everything forward' build. It's not their strength any more. If hordes rushing forward are what you want, play Orks. Tyranids are more about holding the line and shooting. Basically, they're Imperial Guard with monstrous creatures instead of tanks.

Good luck!

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 06:59 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

and thats sad

you can do combat you just have to be more clever in how you do it, dont let them overwatch your expensive troops, by swamping them with gaunts before the cari's charge, for example.

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 01:06 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

I must disagree.
Nids are my main 40k army, and while they have potent shooty units, you will probably need to get into a few assaults to win.

Good shooters -
Hive guard. They just rock. Great for demeching but can't do jack to infantry thanks to ap4 on their guns.
Flyrants with 2 devs. The majority of my lists include one. Hard to kill, very fast, offers defense against some flyers, and has a lot of power with guns. Can also assault too - he's an MC after all.
T-Fexes - Don't do rupture cannon. They sucked in 5th and are worse now. Use acid spray, cluster spines and a thorax swarm to lay do the templates.
Termagants - You should have tons of these, as you will include tervigons - probably the best unit we have right now, and they spawn termagants and require termagants to score. Alone he isn't scary. 20 aren't too threatening either. But 60 with 9d6 more per turn is.

Grax is right. We can't do all assault, but we never could. The best list is a mix. Stuff like trygons, hormogaunts, ymgarls, the swarmlord, warriors/shrikes, can all beat face in assault. MCs like the tervigon aren't assualt oriented either, but with claws put forth on average 5 s10 attacks (if you smash). Pretty vicious, but will just wreck vehicles.

So 6th hit us really hard with a metal baseball bat, but I have won a ton of alot more games than I've lost.

PS - we can take tons of psykers, and they rock with new powers and reduced psychic defenses.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 04:35 PM

Agree with divine totally. Those units listed are the bread and butter of the tyranid list.

Just to extend on what has been said, use your Termagants as your primary assault force. It sounds crazy but with plenty of Tervigons in your list the termagants become incredibly expendable. Plus with a kitted out Terv with Toxin sacs they become so much more potent in close combat. Lots of the little buggers will bring down anything!

The best way to play a tyranid army is to run and gun, while tar pitting anything and everything with your Term's. Most of your weapons are assault weapons, so you have a huge advantage when tactically moving your force.

One final opinion I'll add is that when using tyranids, everything is expendable. Dont try to "save units" so that they can do more in the long term. Get in there and get killing! Make sure the make even half their points before the things get blown to bits.

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Warlord_Winters's Flag is: USA

so the 6th edition isnt out yet or there isnt going to be one?

one of the things i like about the nids is the "zerg rush" aspect about them. charge in guns blazing and melee everything
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-12, 07:01 PM

DivineEdge's Flag is: USA

Hopefully - we are currently towards the bottom of the power pile.

Dark Angels are next, though, and I heard Tau/Eldar in spring/summer 2013. They need a new one more then we do, though.

Maybe after then? But to be honest, GW doesn't usually do too much xenos, so another marine dex might be in there somewhere.

My tactics articles, if you need help making a new army, or beating one:

High Elves - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=112437

Tyranids - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=118886

New Warriors of Chaos - https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...=1#post1336092

I have a new theory in life - for everything - from ethics to legal cases - it is called pre-emptive self defense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode