Horus Heresy list vs. 40k list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thomas Mondrup's Flag is: Denmark

Default Horus Heresy list vs. 40k list

I have ordered the new Forge World book - Horus Heresy: Betrayal and looking wery much forward to receiving it.

The question goes however, how would you as a 40k player react, if you where to play against a list from the above mentioned book?

1. Would you say no: "I don't even want to try that"?
2. Would you ban you opponent from using his/her Primarch?
3. Would you ban him/her from using super-heavies?
4. What about the changes to the FOC slots? Would he/she have to use the 40k FOC?
5. Something else you would demand before you would play the person.

I think it would be good to hear the community's opinion on the subject, after all the game is way funnier when you have someone willing to play against and with you

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all."
Primarch Mortarion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 06:02 PM

Word Bearer 81007's Flag is: USA

I'm not to sure how the book is laid out for FOC or superheavies. obviously primarchs will have a super advantage but I don't see it being something that would prevent me from playing. In apocalpse games I have I have placed 3,000 points of orks on the table against a reaver titan and didn't think twice about it. In fact is was a great game, I lost violently, but still very fun.

The only thing that I would be opposed too would be the fielding of superheavies in a normal game. The durablitiy of structure points versus standard vehicles with hull points is unbalanced at best. Though I do keep a baneblade in a locker for such moments in life.

I believe that if you were to explain were and how the differences in your heresy list vs. standard list would be to a player that player would be willing to give it a shot. You can always be cool about it and let the proxy in a primarch of there own using your book to counteract you bring a god for the lack of better terms.

Just don't play the noobs you may cause severe trauma to a person by smashing angron into his already this is all the models I owe to play list.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 06:35 PM

Sworn Radical's Flag is: Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mondrup View Post
Well no, why would I. As long as my opponent seems like a nice person to play against there's no reason to decline this particular challenge. Also, quite a few lists from regular 40k can easily lay waste to a Betrayal list.

Quote:
A difficult subject really. The standard 40 codices have nothing comparable they could field in their place. But then again, it isn't even needed. The bigger the games points limit, the more heavy firepower will be avaiable to bring down a primarch. So, I'd prolly decline facing them in a game of 2.000 pts., but considering larger games or even Apocalypse their respective prowess should become more or less diminished.

Quote:
Betrayal let's you bring 'Super Heavies' to the table in games that are clearly not Apocalypse per se. For example, it's perfectly possible to integrate a SH into a list of 2.000 points. For fairness sake, I'd ask my opponent to only bring them in games of Apocalypse size (3.000+ pts.). Then everything should be fine, really.

Quote:
4. What about the changes to the FOC slots? Would he/she have to use the 40k FOC?
I'd politely ask my opponent to use the standard 40k FOC when facing 40k armies.

Quote:
Beer.

No really. If both players are in the mood for a mixed game of HH / 40k then who's going to stop you ? Of course, it's perfectly possible for situations to arise that'd need a house rule or two, but for a friendly game it should be fine.
The only place I probably wouldn't like to see HH lists would be at a tournament I guess, if only for the confussion that would follow for some people. Speaking of which ... a HH only tourney could be nice though ...

40k Armies: Dark Eldar / Adepta Sororitas
WHFB Armies: Vampire Counts / Empire / various Elves
Horus Heresy: Alpha Legion / Warp Cult

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 06:38 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

The list is very different to a standard 40k marine list.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Thomas Mondrup's Flag is: Denmark

Word Bearer 81007 and Sworn Radical thanks for your opinions on the subject.
Regarding the Primarch's point wise, they are around 400-500 points each and can only be field in a army of around 2000 points or more.
For 500 points you get close to 100 IG troopers or 3 LMRBT, wouldn't that be fair against a Primarch?
Regarding the Super-heavies I understand why you don't want to play against them in normal games.

Ps. Words_of_Truth, why are you posting this? Please write your opinion on the subject instead, I would very much like to hear it.

Regards
Thomas MP

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all."
Primarch Mortarion
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 06:55 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd be happy to play a regular 40k game against heresy era, I mean orks, eldar, and possibly necrons were all doing well for themselves, only fair to play against the xenos

Lords of War choices should be apoc only though

My book will hopefully arrive this friday or next monday so that may change my perception
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 07:32 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

I posted because they are deliberately at a different scale, the 30k army is based on legion organisation while 40k is a lot smaller. I don't think it would be balanced, it's like using a an apocalypse army vs a normal 40k army.

I have the book btw.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 08:11 PM

Lord Commander Solus's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Absolutely not. Anybody who stops you from playing your army is being ridiculous; it'd be like refusing to play a Necron player, or a Grey Knight player, because you don't like the army. This is *not* Apocalypse, it's a new army list.

Quote:
I personally wouldn't. However, it would be nice if my opponent at least offered a choice; a Primarch list or a non-Primarch list. I would offer the same (once my army comes together!). Primarchs are already restricted in their use, however; they can't be more than 25% of the army, and they're very expensive. I say this is enough of a restriction without having touchy opponents.

Quote:
Again, personally I would love to face a Reaver Titan. I think any opponent who denies you from using your 500 model is a total dick. I can understand some people might be adverse to, say, a powerful Baneblade equivalent, but I wouldn't have any problems.

Quote:
I would let my opponent use whatever, but I can see why some people don't want to face 4 Elites in <2000pts. That's why I personally will be sticking to 40k FOC even when playing a 30k list.

Quote:
I'd ask that they explain what every unit is, and what it does. I would extend the same courtesy with my own army; I'd do this for every game, not just those against 30k lists. It's just polite!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 08:39 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

From what I've heard though legion forces are far less tactically flexible than codex marines. so its like playing powered armoured eldar lists

Primarchs are not that pricey if you think about it <2000pts slightly tricky but 2000 and more easy fit, the can easily mulch any elite unit to earn points back, plus their army wide improvements, seem reasonable value to me
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 11:51 PM
Bringer of the Apocalypse

Deneris's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
I have ordered the new Forge World book - Horus Heresy: Betrayal and looking wery much forward to receiving it.

The question goes however, how would you as a 40k player react, if you where to play against a list from the above mentioned book?

Wouldn't mind at all. always fun playing against "new" armies.

Quote:
Nope... Necrons have enough nasty surprises to deal with army-eaters like a Primarch.

Quote:
See "nasty surprises", above. And I could always bring a Pylon...

Quote:
I'd have to work it out in advance withe the HH player, but I'm sure he could still use his FOC.

Quote:
That everyone have fun?

Quote:
I think it would be good to hear the community's opinion on the subject, after all the game is way funnier when you have someone willing to play against and with you

"That, and sending Leman Russ to make a peaceful arrest? That's like sending a rabid Grizzly Bear to teach Kindergarten." - Cole Deschain
"Deneris - you are a legend." - TheKingElessar
"Chingao...sigh..guess I'll stay a slut then..."- Shogun_Nate

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode