Looking at Branching Out - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Default Looking at Branching Out

While I am, and will remain a Sisters player I've been looking at changing things up and picking up a second army. With a year or more before the girls get a real update I don't want to burn out on playing the same army list over and over (because honestly they girls only have at best 3 different builds that really work, and the biggest change between those lists is "Celestine, Jacobus or both?") I'm looking at branching out to something else.

The problem is I don't know what I want to branch out too. I just know I don't want anymore Rhinos. I've got far too many of them as is and don't want anymore.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 07:48 PM

I think it has to be imperial guard. This gives you option for some cool supportive allies lists with the Sisters. No rhino hulls in sight and plenty of different troops and tanks to make things interesting. It also gives you options for flyers which you lack otherwise.

Guard can also be a great opportunity for conversion and funky camo schemes.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 07:49 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

taking Chimeras instead? - a la IG or GKs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranx View Post
I think it has to be imperial guard. This gives you option for some cool supportive allies lists with the Sisters. No rhino hulls in sight and plenty of different troops and tanks to make things interesting. It also gives you options for flyers which you lack otherwise.

Guard can also be a great opportunity for conversion and funky camo schemes.
I'm actually not too stressed when it comes to fliers. I own two Avengers and play at a store where Forge World is accepted.

I went down the whole "painting camo" thing when I was feeling out playing Tau...and I really didn't care for it. Then again I have a job where I wear camo so maybe that's why.

I'm also a total dork about keeping my Sisters pure. I'm not against allies, I just don't feel like using them unless they contribute to a real theme or plan for my army. And guard don't do that for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
taking Chimeras instead? - a la IG or GKs.
See, that's the problem. I don't know what I want to do. I'm not really sure I want to commit to another army that uses boxy tracked vehicles or not yet. That's why I'm looking for suggestions, in hopes that someone says something that gets the cogs turning and some ideas flowing.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I'm not really sure I want to commit to another army that uses boxy tracked vehicles or not yet. That's why I'm looking for suggestions, in hopes that someone says something that gets the cogs turning and some ideas flowing.
In that case how about something completely off the wall compared to the sisters. Anti-camo, pleasure obsessed Dark Eldar? Bright colours rather than the usual black/dark blue in a psychedelic display to heighten the enjoyment of tearing someones eyeballs out with your finger nail.

Go for an unusual theme such as a mad (arn't they all?!) Haemonculus who likes to tatoo or genetically modify his creations with glowing insane symbols? Lots of wracks, grotesques and talos/cronus.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 10:23 PM
Closet Dictator

Old Man78's Flag is: Ireland

What about ye olde Orks! An army that you can do pretty much whatever you want to, to it, now I'm not a xeno lover but they are polar opposites from boxy tracked vehicles and forge world do some awesome vehicle models.

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 11:36 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Well it seems like your choices are all basically Xenos. Eldar of the good bad variety, tyranids, orks, Tau, necrons, or daemons.

Do you have a "current competitiveness" requirement?

I think if you're just going for stark juxtaposition then I think your best bets are eldar, tyranids, or daemons, with necrons a close fourth.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
Well it seems like your choices are all basically Xenos. Eldar of the good bad variety, tyranids, orks, Tau, necrons, or daemons.

Do you have a "current competitiveness" requirement?

I think if you're just going for stark juxtaposition then I think your best bets are eldar, tyranids, or daemons, with necrons a close fourth.
I wouldn't claim that Daemons are Xenos....

But more to the point...I know I don't want anymore Rhinos (I've got somewhere between 12-14 of them), and I'm not excited about more blocky vehicles, I'm not against Chimeras and the like. I'm just not excited about camo paint jobs. They're not fun in my mind to paint.

I'm not panicking about needing some level of uber-competetive army. I'm actually a pretty solid at playing my Sisters army, I'm just getting rather bored putting the same thing on the table week in and week out. Love the army, hate the inflexibility in the codex (but that's a rant that's well known so I'm going to skip over it). Either way I'm confident that I can learn and tweak an army to play well (assuming I find something I enjoy playing).

Regardless, I'm not against the Imperium as a whole, just against playing your bog standard Marines. With the release of the Pre-Heresy Terminator armor I've kicked around a Pre-Heresy Deathwing army, Gray Knights (with a mix of Terminators and Inquisition (Inquisition provides a fire base to the Terminators ability to punch things in the base to create a purge and hold sort of duality in the army), and Black Tide Templars.

The problem that I've run into is that I don't know a lot about playing or building these armies, much less playing and/or building them in 6th Edition.

TL;DR: I guess the better phrasing of the question would be "In 6th Edition, what is a decent, non-standard army (i.e.: not standard Marines and no Rhinos) that has some fun things to it (and isn't necessarily ultra-competitive) that I could start, and what is the best way to do it?"
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 07:59 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

What's your definition of fun?

For me, my Orks are fun because of all their special rules and tables. Due to them, I can honestly say I don't know what they're going to do in a given turn. My weirdboy could blow his own head off (he has). My big mek could teleport himself into combat (he has). The trukk that lost its last hull point could tank shock an enemy unit (it has).

They're a random and unpredictable horde, which may be what you need as a change up from a highly regimented elite force like the sisters.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicrel Seijin View Post
What's your definition of fun?

For me, my Orks are fun because of all their special rules and tables. Due to them, I can honestly say I don't know what they're going to do in a given turn. My weirdboy could blow his own head off (he has). My big mek could teleport himself into combat (he has). The trukk that lost its last hull point could tank shock an enemy unit (it has).

They're a random and unpredictable horde, which may be what you need as a change up from a highly regimented elite force like the sisters.
I never really subscribed to the whole "random nonsense that can cause me to lose games is fun" method of the Orks. Yes they do lots of things well, but I don't like the idea of my army sabotaging itself when the dice go bad honestly. It's the same reason I don't really like using plasma (that and it's priced horribly).

As for what's fun (to me) is an army that can bring a good game, even when the dice don't go in my favor and can bring a close, interesting game (not really into cheese personally, as it's hard to really have fun in the game if your opponent is staring at you like you just kicked his dog over and over).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode