Necrons: Blobs, Arks or Scythes? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Icon Necrons: Blobs, Arks or Scythes?

Quick question...
  • 2x20 Warriors or
  • 2x10 Warriors with an Ark or
  • 2x15 Warriors in a Night Scythe

They all seem like good choices to me
Any advantages? Glaring weakness?

Its for a 1500pt list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 12:09 PM

Madden's Flag is: United Kingdom

Let's see
2*20 hard to kill with shooting but will get slaughtered in cc, very good shooting out put best as back field holders,
2*10 with ark, mobile resilient and should advance while laying down fire, and if killed in cc not to much of a loss,
2*15 in scythes. Not used these but good deployment options, mid damage out put, fast and you don't have to be in the scythe, though people won't like you for the flyers, though two are better than one any more and you could lose friends.
Over all I'd say 15 in scythes are the best of your options. You could go 15 in scythe and 10 in ark to mix it up a bit.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 03:22 PM
Creator of Chaos's Flag is: Australia

If you go with a 20 man blob (Like I always do) Make sure you have at-least a necron Lord with Res Orb, Shackle Scarabs and warscythe in there to give them some combat flexability otherwise they die quick in combat or from blasts. To get the most out of them however you really need either a Phearon or Destroyer Lord leading them. Same loadouts as the lord maybe throw in sempiternal weave, Phase shifter and a harbinger and suddenly your hoard is either relentless (Move shoot and charge) or has prefered enemy everything (Re-rollable guass flayers are fun) and what was just a scary unit before becomes a game winning deathstar that can do just about anything you desire. Sheer numbers and the lords/Harbingers loadouts and rules make them a versitile resialiant unit that can fufill many rolls including combat should the need arise. The only real weakness is its cost a naked hoard is cheap but vulnerable whilst a Properly geared out one can approach 500 Points (Lord, Harbinger, Warriors, Sometimes Ghost Ark support) meaning it prices itself out of Lowerpoint games

As for the 10 man barge yes its a solid choice and while it doesn't have the killing power of a phearon or Destroyer led hoard its cheaper, you can field more of them and Av13 with jink will see them stick around a few turns at-least and they work well alongside Annihilation barges killing the few things that barges cant hurt like Lemen Russ Tanks or Land Raiders. No real Weakness overall but no major strengh

For the 15 warriors in a scythe. Personally I dont see the point of that many in there. If your Objective Claiming or Raider Killing 10 with a Harbinger will suffice in most cases and if you wish to field more then 10 in a squad may as well go for a hoard. But if you stilll wish to stick 15 in there you can and its still a solid choice but theres just other things I think you should place the points on like barge's or Immortals.

Overall If your looking for utility and Killing power a warrior hoard is your best bet. If you want Cheap reliabity the ark is for you. If you want objective claimers Go the warriors in the scythe but preferably at a lower number

Bringer of Truth, Slayer of the Incompetant

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-12, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Madden: I do like the idea of an night/doom scythes army. Most armies only have 1 sometimes 2 skyfire units and i've seen many with none at all...so if I take 5-6 flyers, it should give me a little advantage (and cause me to have no friends )

I'm thinking of maybe sticking 10 immortals with a cc overlord and a veiltek in a night scythe, then flying them in, shooting up the place and veiling them out. Purely because I think that would be awesome maybe add some wraiths to support them and lower initiatives if they get charged?

@Creater of Chaos: I would probably only stick 10 warriors in a scythe and keep some room for some lord/teks. I can see where you are coming from with the "strength in numbers" strategy. When I drop the Scythes from the list I gain about 10-20 warriors and I could throw in a barge to act as a mobile repair and give some extra fire power if needed. The only thing I don't like about it is that they would be so vulnerable to pie plates...

Last edited by Aurelian; 10-24-12 at 11:29 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 12:32 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Quick correction LoC, Phaeron is useless in warriors with the changes to RF.

That said, if possible, can you go 1x20 Warriors with an Ark, and do something else for troops? A 20 man blob is nigh invincible if it has its own ark and res orb. Its a big target that will soak up lots of fire and is hard to force a morale test on due to large numbers. Even if they can somehow manage to kill 5 models at the same time, or even over the course of the whole shooting phase, you will regenerate 2.5 warriors with RP and then an average of 2 with the Ark, meaning a regeneration of 4.5 warriors- Basically your opponent might as well have shot the dirt because he would have killed about the same amount of models. It presents an imposing advance and if you really like the steamroller feel of Necrons that they had in the days of 3rd and 4th, this will replicate that feel very nicely. I still have yet to be sold on Night Scythes over Doom Scythes- True, Doom Scythes eat a HS slot, but Night Scythes eat an all-important Dedicated Transport slot. If you plan to rely heavily on Immortals, maybe, but buying a Scythe for Warriors is, in my opinion, a bad move and a waste of what could have been an Ark. As it stands Doom Scythes are beyond deadly against anything that uses a lot of vehicles, able to outright destroy two or maybe more with luck with a single shooting phase- Including anything that might have skyfire. IG parking lots particularly lament their presence as do GK that just park a pair of Psyflemen in the back to shoot.

I'm off topic here, but to recap: Two units of 20 warriors is tough but can be whittled down. More importantly, having to large squads doubles the requirement of Res Orbs- And for the price of the Lord you are putting with the second squad plus the cost of the squad itself you could have bought an Ark and a smaller unit of Warriors to ride around in it and shoot out (Hooray open topped!) and have been much more effective. I'm also not sold on scythes, especially for warriors, so that makes option 2 more appealing to me. Honestly I would try to get one squad to 20 and reduce the other to whatever is left in points as they will spend the whole game riding in an AV13 F/S skimmer that will just veer off on turn 4/5 to drop them on an objective.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 01:15 AM

The Sturk's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Everything above
In terms of Night Scythes, I usually pack them with a squad of 5 warriors and a Cryptek of the Storm and go vehicle hunting (His voltaic staff is Assault 4 Haywire, so it eats vehicles). Plus they pack the all important Tesla Destructor without eating up a HS slot (not that Annihilation barges are bad, not by a long shot. I use 2 in every game), which works wonders on just about everything.

But on topic here, I think your best bet might be a single 20 warrior blob supported with an Ark with a 10 warrior unit inside Plus a Lord/Overlord with a Res Orb (I'd use a court lord so the Overlord can be in his barge). You could also make the Ark-riding warriors a 9 man unit to fit in a Cyptek of some sort , preferably a Dest-tek with the Solar Pulse. With Night fight, that 5+ jink can become at least a 4+ save.

This supported with Annihilation barges can be intimidating, just pick your targets wisely.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 03:13 AM
Creator of Chaos's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Not really tho I'll concede it does depend on how you use the warriors. My hoards are line breakers that panic the hell out of my oppenents. The ability to shoot rapidfire then charge the decimated unit is game-winning in my book. 40 Flayer Shots, What-ever your harbginer possesses, And your Overlord (If you choose guanlet of fire) Followed by a charge (+1A) with 40 S4 WS4 attacks, 4 S5-7 WS4 attacks that either re-roll or deny armour and mind shackle scarabs from your overlord plus 2 more atttacks from your harbginer will kill most units in the game. Ok there striking at initiative 2 but with so many warriors and a combat lord assualting an already damaged unit that is not to much trouble. People really under-estimate phearon.

I agree with everything else you typed tho. Warrior hoards however there used are probably the deadliest hoard going around currently

Bringer of Truth, Slayer of the Incompetant
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 03:53 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Never thought of it like that. Interesting.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 06:35 AM
Arcane's Flag is: USA

Why bother, just take as many night/doom scythes as you can fit in a list and press the easy button. Ward ftw!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-12, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator of Chaos View Post
Ok there striking at initiative 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Why bother, just take as many night/doom scythes as you can fit in a list and press the easy button. Ward ftw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sturk View Post
, I think your best bet might be a single 20 warrior blob supported with an Ark with a 10 warrior unit inside Plus a Lord/Overlord with a Res Orb (I'd use a court lord so the Overlord can be in his barge). You could also make the Ark-riding warriors a 9 man unit to fit in a Cyptek of some sort , preferably a Dest-tek with the Solar Pulse. With Night fight, that 5+ jink can become at least a 4+ save.

This supported with Annihilation barges can be intimidating, just pick your targets wisely.
Quote:

Even if they can somehow manage to kill 5 models at the same time, or even over the course of the whole shooting phase, you will regenerate 2.5 warriors with RP and then an average of 2 with the Ark, meaning a regeneration of 4.5 warriors- Basically your opponent might as well have shot the dirt because he would have killed about the same amount of models.

More importantly, having to large squads doubles the requirement of Res Orbs- And for the price of the Lord you are putting with the second squad plus the cost of the squad itself you could have bought an Ark and a smaller unit of Warriors to ride around in it and shoot out (Hooray open topped!) and have been much more effective. I'm also not sold on scythes, especially for warriors, so that makes option 2 more appealing to me. Honestly I would try to get one squad to 20 and reduce the other to whatever is left in points as they will spend the whole game riding in an AV13 F/S skimmer that will just veer off on turn 4/5 to drop them on an objective.

@Iron Angel & @The Sturk: : You guys have sold me on using an ark! I will probably take one squad of 20-25 warriors and an Ark with 5-10 warriors to support them and to provide extra fire power. Plus I like the night fighting idea, very fluffy

@Creator of Chaos: Surely the low initiative could be countered with some Wraiths? Bringing your enemies initiative down to 1 so that your horde still strikes before them?

@Arcane: I will probably end up having 5-6 night/doom scythes as I really like the model and the idea of a complete airborne army. Do they work well?

Is it worth taking a command barge with an overlord with a blob list?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode