6th edition boxed game review and discussion on merchandising. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-12, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Default 6th edition boxed game review and discussion on merchandising.

Hi guys, I've just written a review of the box for Tale of Painters if anyone is interested. Click my sig, or this link here.

If reading reviews isn't your thing, how about a discussion. In my review I mention how there are no painting guides or detailed fluff what so ever about Bane's Landing where the conflict is held. Is this a ploy by GW to get us to buy the ibooks painting guide app and the Hard Back novel or are they just keeping things simple for the newbies?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-12, 03:14 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The DV introduction booklet also mentions online tutorials on the GW website; there is nothing there at the moment but it could include painting guides.

I noticed a few subtle differences between the introduction booklet and the full rules, e.g. they say cover makes roll an extra dice for charging dropping lowest and you strike last but frag grenades ignore cover (as opposed to just striking at Initiative), so they have definitely simplified it.

As my GW give free painting tutorials I am less bothered by the lack of guides than you are.

Last edited by Dave T Hobbit; 09-01-12 at 03:19 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-12, 03:17 PM

Tensiu's Flag is: Poland

You bastard. My box is going to get into my hands so soon, I was going to experience everything myself. Now I've opened that page, and I will have to read review : C
I think it's quite possible that it's all to make people buy other Dark Vengeance-related stuff, as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkaellon View Post
Boobs, That is all.
Victories - 0
Draws - 0
Failures - 4

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-12, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T Hobbit View Post
The DV introduction booklet also mentions online tutorials on the GW website; there is nothing there at the moment but it could include painting guides.

I noticed a few subtle differences between the introduction booklet and the full rules, e.g. they say cover makes roll an extra dice for charging dropping lowest and you strike last but frag grenades ignore cover (as opposed to just striking at Initiative), so they have definitely simplified it.

As my GW give free painting tutorials I am less bothered by the lack of guides than you are.

I'm not bothered. I never ever use guides. But I have to try and write the review for everyone and the lack of guides would be an issue for newbies.

I'll be adding a Hell Brute tutorial to tale of painters in the near future.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-12, 07:20 AM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

My box is sitting nect to the sofa waiting for me to open it. It's been there since Friday but my good lady made me wait because we were going away.. it's like christmas morning, I can hardly contain myself!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-12, 09:33 AM

Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom

Have to say, I was well impressed with the boxed set. Picked it up yesterday, opened it up and marvelled at some of the best plastic miniatures they've produced. The chaos are truly spectacular and what they should always have been like.

The DA, while in the standard poses are stunning minis, and the terminators and chaplain are great. Same with the bikes. THink I'm going to have to trim off some iconography and use them as another chapter though! Suspect there'll be an actual leagion of DA knocking about now! haha

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-12, 11:25 AM
Heresy Online's Pet Furby

Tawa's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins1878 View Post
THink I'm going to have to trim off some iconography and use them as another chapter though!
Yup, precisely what I'll be doing as my Chapter is made up of Vanilla/SW/DA kits as it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace of Ultramar View Post
I think Tawa is a temporal entity that exists outside of the hobby/modeling timeline. Essentially, he's the Heresy Online equivalent of a Time Lord... which is kinda hilarious and frightening all at the same time.
"God-Emperor? Calling him a god was how all this mess started."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-12, 07:27 PM
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

This is neither news or rumours, please post discussions like these in General

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode