The Future of the Allies System in 40k? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default The Future of the Allies System in 40k?

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering how you are all finding the new Allies system introduced in 6th Edition 40k?

I haven't yet tried any Allied games myself as I am waiting for the new Chaos Space Marine Codex to be released as I play Chaos Daemons, so I'm just wondering have you all had good experiences, bad experiences or indifferent experiences?

Have you had any games were the Allied system has been ridiculously overpowered, or do you think its well balanced?

Finally, do you guys think that GW have actually given themselves loads of extra work, as now, instead of just designing a codex (a hard enough task) they have to think about how the abilities within it will sync up with Allied codices?

This also got me thinking, do you think we will see the start of a lot more army wide special rules so that Allies can gain greater benefits from one and other? So maybe more HQ choices with army wide buffs and bonuses perhaps?

Last edited by D-A-C; 08-05-12 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 09:38 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Army wide rules are probably a no-no as they could massively screw with the balance of the game. I think the most you'll get is IC rules affecting his unit, which might not be from the same army (like ATSKNF working on units joined by SM ICs).

I'm not trying the allies system yet because my armies really don't like each other... only options I've got is IG with daemons or crons. I might try them out at some point but its really not needed and I prefer to learn 6th without the added complication. I'm also avoiding fortifications... I might claim similar reasons but really its just because I know I could, and would, abuse the hell out of an aegis defence line if I took one...

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 09:43 PM

I think it's a 2 edition Fad.

Don't expect it to be here forever. Genestealers with Power weapons weren't.... and that made more sense.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 09:48 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
I think it's a 2 edition Fad.

Don't expect it to be here forever. Genestealers with Power weapons weren't.... and that made more sense.
I think Allies make plenty of sense. After all there are a lot of examples in fluff and the supplementary fluff (books, ect) with forces working together, so it only makes sense that being able to do so on the table would happen.

At the very least it'll be here for the entire edition, and if the rumors of WD codexes for armies specifically of things to ally in are true then we may see it next edition too.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 09:55 PM

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

I like the idea, although the allies table is a bit wider ranging than I'd really expect. But there are plenty of armies I've always fancied trying, but wouldn't want a couple of thousand points worth of... thanks to having a Tau army, I can now do that and be able to use them all pretty easily.

I think it's fairly well balanced as it is - needing to take a troop & HQ choice makes it an expensive option when what most people are really looking for are fast attack and heavy support choices. For the games up to 1500 points that I'd usually be playing, then you can only really look at it if you can get a really strong (or really cheap) option to fill those two mandatory slots. Games above 2,000 points, I think the double FoC is probably more abusable than allies in general are, thanks to allies restricted FoC in the 'good' slots.

I really hope that GW will use it to add things like Merc and Pirate lists in WD, or more niche variations of standard codexes. In future codexes, I think the impact I'm expecting is that we'll see very few armies with very strong core troops - troops choices will remain very vanilla (possibly unlocking the most interesting stuff with expensive HQ choices, or special characters as they are now), to make sure they don't open up too many potentially broken combinations.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 09:59 PM
Rattlehead

I think it's pretty cool, I always liked the idea of Allies when they were in the Daemonhunters Codex and quite like the idea of an Inquisitor and some PAGK or a Grand Master and Terminator bros to go with my Imperial Guard. It makes them feel more elite (after working with Lasguns for a whole shooting phase, you get to the Terminators with Storm Bolters and start wondering 'Str 5 small arms? With AP? What is this black magic?'). Plus I like the idea of 5 or 10 Grey Knights going to deal with a Daemonic Incursion more than sending a whole army of arguably the most elite and specialized soldiers in the Imperium.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-12, 11:10 PM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

I really like the ally rules. The mandatory ally units do help prevent cheap access to power units and any points you spend on allies are just that many less you can spend on your own army.

I play CSM with Daemon allies and they work very well together. The troops are a bit hard to figure out but keep those cheap and the monsters are worth it (Soul grinder, bloodthirster).

I would not be surprised though if CSM got some ally influencing rules, especially the Word Bearers with Daemons.

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 12:33 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I like the rules, I like the opportunities it provides me, and I am willing to bet that GW fucking LOVES the increased sales it will cause.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 12:38 AM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
I like the rules, I like the opportunities it provides me, and I am willing to bet that GW fucking LOVES the increased sales it will cause.
You're right. It's like the McRib.

Start with no allies and everybody purchases units from Codex A to be balanced. Eventually most players will hit a point where they've got all the units from a codex they will ever want or need.

Introduce allies and everybody purchases more units from Codex B.

Change the rules and take away allies as well as release new codecies with new units and people will purchase new units from Codex A to fill out their army.

Change the rules again and reintroduce allies and people will again purchase more units from Codex B.

Very clever, GW. I see what you're doing here. Of course, now that I think about it some Orks would go great with my CSM, maybe I should get some boyz...

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 03:05 AM

I have'n't tried it but i love it in theory.

Ultramarines are Pussies

Except Dark Angels, any chapter that sounds like a Death Metal Band can't be that bad.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode