The Future of the Allies System in 40k? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 03:24 AM

Archaon18's Flag is: England

I think the matrix needs more updating. Tau can ally with everybody (obviously baring 'Nids), even Daemons and even Necrons and Orks, armies who are as close as It comes to arch-rivals of you look at Imotekh. Apart from that I think it's pretty cool really.

Lasguns- You can never have too little firepower
My Tactics Blog - ChaosTactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
"Hey babe, want me to Power Fist your Pink Horror?"

"Is it ok if my Old One Eye penetrates your Devilfish?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 03:31 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon18 View Post
I think the matrix needs more updating. Tau can ally with everybody (obviously baring 'Nids), even Daemons and even Necrons and Orks, armies who are as close as It comes to arch-rivals of you look at Imotekh. Apart from that I think it's pretty cool really.
Tau are just sluts that's all
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 08:21 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Army wide rules are probably a no-no as they could massively screw with the balance of the game. I think the most you'll get is IC rules affecting his unit, which might not be from the same army (like ATSKNF working on units joined by SM ICs).
I think you're right about the army-wide rules. Aside from Daemons and Chaos Marines buffing each other, many army-wide rules are getting FAQ'd to only work with their units. Descent of Angels doesn't transfer to Jump Infantry allied with the Blood Angels. And that makes sense for the most part. ATSKNF transfering to Battle Brothers has a lot of abuse potential too. Putting Sanguinary Priests or Apothecaries with a Guard Platoon makes a pretty solid objective camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon18 View Post
That is something to consider when building your army lists. How likely are certain HQs to ally. Imotekh or Destroyer Lords are not at all likely to ally with anything. But a desperate Overlord from an awakening Tomb World might take any help he could get ... for now. Tau just have a more optimistic view than most races and there are certainly fluff examples of them regretting an alliance. Surely they have not forgotten Rubikon.

I like the alliance idea in general. Some things could be abused but there is also still some shock and awe going around. Once the game re-stabilizes, alliances probably won't be used except for a couple armies in competitive play. Fun lists might do other allies of course.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 08:54 AM

stalarious's Flag is: Germany

Well overall I think they are using it as a mini training tool to get you to play armagedon games were you can do the same thing by default. Now weither or not it stays around i like the idea of there being times and issues that bring enemies to fight a common foe it happens thats just good war tactics so to refelect this in the game I say about time, I do hope that they go through some fine tuning on it and make it a normal rule.

So I am growing my enemy.....so what I gotta kill something.

CENTER][/CENTER]
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 10:50 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

I like the idea and have a number of allies planned, but right now I'm just playing games with various lists (with drastically different unit combos) to see how everything works again.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 12:26 PM

Nave Senrag's Flag is: USA

This is actually a pretty effective tool for letting players start new armies. I had wanted to start playing DA when the new codex came out, but there's no way I can afford to spend money on 1000-1500+ points of models right off the bat. Allies lets me buy an HQ and two troops and get used to their rules at higher level games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post
Yup, that sounds about right. The only faction who are a bigger bunch of backstabbers than the Imperium are the Eldar (and this is debatable as the Eldar only stab OTHER factions in the back).
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 06:03 PM

ohiocat110's Flag is: USA

Allies rules will sell more models, and after 3-4 years I wager that the idea of it going away will anger a lot of players. The matrix will change, but I think allies are here to stay even through 7th and beyond. GW has already FAQ'ed out most of the potential abuses by making most special rules codex-specific, and the various alliances options *are* fluff now so complainers will just have to get used to it. I fully expect upcoming "true" 6th ed codexes to have plenty of restrictions and/or unlock taxes to guard against cheese as well.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 07:42 PM

Allies are good idea from a sales perspective, but I hate how they feel necessary to play the game. More than a few armies are without flyers or AA and they feel gimpy without them.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-12, 09:29 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm9 View Post
Allies are good idea from a sales perspective, but I hate how they feel necessary to play the game. More than a few armies are without flyers or AA and they feel gimpy without them.
Forge world and fortifications may have the answers you're looking for at a lower points cost to boot!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-12, 03:12 AM

jaysen's Flag is: USA

I think it's awesome! I'm going to have bothh necron and eldar allies for my blood angel army.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode