So The New Daemons Update - Opinions? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravner298 View Post
Seekers are still an absolute bargain for their price. I just prefer the new screamers

Also, why the KoS love? If anything hasn't the need for FMC's made them less of a pick for an HQ now?
(Shameless self promotion) be sure and check out me blog over the next few weeks when I post my comprehensive guide to Chaos Daemons that deals with Slaanesh Units.

In the mean time here are a few reasons I love KoS's:

1. Pavane is alot more useful this edition as the old Fleet Rules ment you needed to use run instead of shooting to gain the benefit. This is not the case in 6th Edition.

2. They are Initiative 10 and have 6 base Attacks (7 on the Charge) so are great for Challenges and taking on other MC's and Characters.

3. They get access to Hit & Run, so not only can they not get stuck fighting 20 Boyz (unlike Bloodthirsters), but they can also catapult 3 D6 across the board in time for their next Turn, or leave the combat, fire Daemonic Gaze at the enemy and then recharge them and get another set of Hammer of Wrath and Charge bonuses.

4. All the Gifts sync really well with the Greater Daemon and only come in at 275pts (the same as a competitive Bloodthirster) and yet you get sooo much more.

A 3 Shot Strength 5 AP3 shooting Attack, a mini-Lash, you deny the enemy an Attack, gain Hit & Run, and get +1 Strength.

There only really knock is they aren't a FMC, but people are seriously overrating those too much anyway. They are great, but they aren't game winners by themselves.

I am seriously considering using a KoS as my HQ in 6th Edition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 05:30 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
I think the list you have here is almost spot on with my feelings about Daemons in 6th Edition.
All the units you've added are indeed very good, I'm just not sure they're AS good as some of the other choices in the same Force Org slot.

They're the Jordyn Wiebers of the army.

(Go USA! Go British Isles, Canada, and Australia! In fact, Go everyone who isn't China!)

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 07:51 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

You make some good points in the KoS favor, however they haven't gained an once of durability while the bloodthirster/fate/loc have. They are incredibly vunerable to shooting and they don't have the option to fly. I actually think one of their biggest advantages in comparison to the other GDs is their point cost. They don't need much outside of musk/might/pavene. While 6th has made them the kings of challenges, with all their upgrades bolstering and complimenting this, who in their right mind would ever issue or accept a challenge from a Keeper for that very reason? I know it's not always avoidable, but sometimes it is. You can always decline, not issue one, or have multiple characters in a squad to take the challenge on the juicy characters behalf.

Im a fan of the KoS, always have been, but their downfall always has been their survivability and durability. Their strengths have been bolstered alot in 6th, but their role hasnt changed. They still have problems surviving.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-12, 10:21 PM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

I'm curious. Why do people think the Soul Grinder has improved all that much this edition? Is it just the hull points thing?

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Freak220 View Post
I'm curious. Why do people think the Soul Grinder has improved all that much this edition? Is it just the hull points thing?
Well there is a few reasons why they have gotten better in 6th Edition.

For starters though, it is worth noting that they were never really uncompetitive, it was just that they suffered because they were the sole vehicles in the codex, so as a result, all the enemies Anti-Mech weapons (which were always brought because 5th was mech heavy) concentrated their fire on them. However

1. There are now some more vehicles in the army (Fleshshredders/Chariots). They aren't great, but at least its something else for the enemies anti-mech to worry about and hopefully target (hopefully!)

2. 3 Soul Grinders with Phlegm is nearly 100pts less than two of the competitive build Daemon Princes.

3. They are impervious to small arms fire, Dp's can and will get torrented to death.

4. Pie-plates now effect vehicles even if they are only partially under it (in other words you don't need a direct hit anymore.

5. There is no wrecked roll anymore so they are statistically harder to destroy unless shot by weapons that are Ap1. In other words, they completely ignore half the vehicle damage chart.

6. Weapon destroyed rolls are now random so you no longer instantly loss your vital mawcannon.

7. If they are 25% covered they get a cover save.

Those are a few reasons why Soul Grinders are much better in 6th Edition.

Last edited by D-A-C; 08-01-12 at 03:52 PM.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 07:53 PM

Can you still take a slaanesh herald and give it the 'Slaanesh chariot' mount that it says you can give it in the main codex, because I may buy one of the new chariots and do that if so.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
Can you still take a slaanesh herald and give it the 'Slaanesh chariot' mount that it says you can give it in the main codex, because I may buy one of the new chariots and do that if so.
Hmmm, good question, my instinct is yes, but the way I'm reading it says no:

On page 7 of the official update it states:

A Herald of Slaanesh may take one of the following:

Mount of Slaanesh - xpts
Seeker Chariot - xpts
Exalted Seeker Chariot - xpts

In a way that suggests that you can no longer take the original one, but then again, all the new options are in either the Fast Attack and Heavy Support slots, so are they really interfering with HQ choices?

My gut says you can take the original, but the little caterpillar rules lawyer with glasses that lives inside my brain says that you can't.

Would love to hear other peoples opinions though. Deathklokk where are you when we need you? lol.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-12, 08:49 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

i think that you would get the stats of taking a chariot (minus becoming a unit of 1 calvary, now your an IC that cant leave your ride on an open-topped rhino-chariot that has either 2HP or 4HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 07:39 AM

If you do still get the stats bonus going on one of these chariots then I am definately going to get one, that would be much more useful I think, except the wounds bonus because as soon as the chariot wrecks you would probably lose it, unless you are assaulting?

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-12, 08:25 AM

Madden's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
(minus becoming a unit of 1 calvary, now your an IC that cant leave your ride on an open-topped rhino-chariot that has either 2HP or 4HP
Not quite true it's only the stock alluress that can't disembark, I see nowt in the rules saying a herald can't get off if it's wrecked. as to useing the dex profile I'd say yes but only if your not using the new kit as it's got a different name and its own rules.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode