Why inches? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Default Why inches?

So this thread really could apply to 40k and fantasy both, but I wasn't exactly sure where to make this thread. Reading through the rules a thought had occurred to me. It states that measurements are made in inches. Simple enough, yes I know, but it made me think, why? It's a UK based company and game and they clearly have a global market, though a large chunk may be the US. Though, still it makes me wonder why measurements are done in inches instead of centimeters. The game is based on 25 mm scale even. Any thoughts on the matter? I really couldn't think of a good reason why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:03 PM

Inches are just the common measure of distance in the UK. Technically we use metric for everything but people still measure their heights in feet and inches for example.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:07 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramoro View Post
Inches are just the common measure of distance in the UK. Technically we use metric for everything but people still measure their heights in feet and inches for example.
This. They also measure speed in Miles Per Hour.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:08 PM

Part of it is purely historic, coming from a UK based company.
The other part I imagine is that inches is a more forgiving granularity that centimetres when playing a game. I can see a lot more arguments arising on whether something is a centimetre in/out of range during a game.
Also, to me it just feels like confusing/clunky for something to have a range of 24", rather than 61cm (although, this might due to being British and playing GW games with inches for 20+ years).
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:20 PM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

Honestly we're just lazy and half-arsed here in the UK. Suppossedly we went metric which is why we weigh stuff in grams and kilograms and use litres, but at the same time we still use stone, miles, inches and a whole load of other stuff from the good old Imperial system.

My painting log - Misadventures of a Cack-Handed Painter: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=93419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gochu85
I am enjoying all of your articles. Thank you for your help. I hope I can use your tactics along with what I learn from experience to strike fear of green in to my enemies hearts.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:29 PM
Banned
VanquisherMBT's Flag is: England

Becuse cm suck
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:31 PM

Zetronus's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlagueMarineXenon View Post
So this thread really could apply to 40k and fantasy both, but I wasn't exactly sure where to make this thread. Reading through the rules a thought had occurred to me. It states that measurements are made in inches. Simple enough, yes I know, but it made me think, why? It's a UK based company and game and they clearly have a global market, though a large chunk may be the US. Though, still it makes me wonder why measurements are done in inches instead of centimeters. The game is based on 25 mm scale even. Any thoughts on the matter? I really couldn't think of a good reason why.

Because inches are the Imperial measurement for the Imperium ;)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:31 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Because the conversion from imperial to metric wasn't taught very well and now we have a mixed society who goes by both measurements depending on when you where born.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:32 PM

Was the Metric system even 'favourite' when the game was created?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-12, 03:41 PM

Zetronus's Flag is: Great Britain

@WoT

Is quite correct here, and its very fascinating within the UK, my various jobs have me switching between both metric and imperial measurements quite often.

One of my passions is building with wood, and its easier to frame build in inches and feet, since that the language at the local lumber-yard. However if we are talking about counter tops and cupboards, these are all measured in millimetres - and this is in the same wood yard!

When I am buying IPA and liquid fluxes for my work these are measured in metric millilitres and while my solder is measured in grams ans millimetres, however the wire is measured in AWG imperial thickness measurement.

Don't even get me started on Engineering!

So - to live in the UK one must know and float between the two systems easily.

After all, order my milk by pints, as my beer as well - the British imperial pint is 20oz, the American pint is 16oz - this follows up the chain...

Interestingly the British imperial system differs compared to the US imperial system - most notably metric of liquids - the US gallon is only 83.3% of the UK gallon - so when you hear some idiot spouting the better mileage per gallon of European cars - its not always case since we use and have nearly 20% more fuel in measuring a gallon.

So in my head at anyone time, I have both the American imperial metric, the British imperial metric and the International metric system (the latter being based on water at room temperature in case you didn't know)

Last edited by Zetronus; 07-25-12 at 03:51 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode