Want to start Chaos army, any tips? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Default Want to start Chaos army, any tips?

So with the start of 6th ed, and my Orks pretty much done for me (I want a flyer, but thats a want not a need for how I play) And my IG being long finished, I wanted to start something new. I was casting around and I thought that I wanted to play Space Marines. I looked at them and looked at the rules and came down as a traitor. I like the fluff for chaos a hell of alot more then any of the good guys, and I can pull allies from my orks and IG for them. Not only that, but they look like they may get some love here soon so that would be nice.

I've also never had power armor. I've always played large horde armies which needed numbers and luck to win. Now I am ready to try easy mode...for a given value of easy.

So now that my mind is made up what can you guys suggest for me to get started. I love the Nurgle fluff most I think, the dude has an eldar goddess as a damn test subject! Plauge Marines look pretty nasty as well. I am thinking my initial budget will be about 100 bucks, with me being able to talk the wifie into letting me get the starter box as well. My buddy and I are going to both get a starter set and swap the models so I get chaos and he gets the DA. Other then that, what should I get?

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:53 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

well ATM i would wait for the new CSM book; other than getting generic CSM boxes no one knows whats gonna be good from the new book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Oh I am less worried about what is going to be good, and more worried about what is fun to play with now. I want to buy some guys now because the FLGS has some used dudes on the cheap.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 05:26 AM

Honestly, there's nothing that can be suggested.

Buying generic Chaos space marines, and rhinos is your best bet, but it's possible that even this could go sour.

The codex is going to change possibly in 3 weeks. what's fun now is irrelevant. Also, let me tell you that the chaos codex is so short on power right now that practically nothing is fun. But in a few more weeks, the chaos codex will probably be one of the most entertaining codices in the game.

4,220 CSM
2,320 Necrons
1,870 eldar
1,000 witch hunters (trying to get rid of this)
1,000 SM (trying to get rid of this)
680 Tau (newest addition)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
The codex is going to change possibly in 3 weeks. what's fun now is irrelevant. Also, let me tell you that the chaos codex is so short on power right now that practically nothing is fun. But in a few more weeks, the chaos codex will probably be one of the most entertaining codices in the game.
Or a mediocre codex that is going to be surpassed in every and any field forever from the subsequent Dark Angels release and thus put Chaos in the "You suck ha ha!" field for five more years.

The problem is that Chaos is going to be the first codex of this new edition, which means that it will either be broken as all hell or lousy to the point of being ridiculous and making you wish you had the last one again. The first codex of the edition is never anywhere close to "balanced", remember that last time Chaos was supposed to be the first codex to use the new edition's rules it was... Well, the one we're currently stuck with. So yeah.

At any rate, on to something helpful: don't start Chaos now. Seriously, don't. Wait for the new codex, it can't be more than a month and spare change anyways.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 03:41 PM

As others have said, you should probably wait on the CSM building as the new codex should be right around the corner. Getting general marines on the cheap isn't bad, but also not what I would consider the "fun" units for CSM. The problem with buying them even on the cheap is that with the release of a new codex, you never know what's going to happen to the unit. It could end up being written out completely.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 03:52 PM

I think if you like plague marines now, you'll still like Plague marines in the new rules. They can't change that much and I find they are viable now anyway - FNP gone has down, but now you get to use it more. They're still going to be T5 (I really can't see that being taken away from them) and they'll still have power armour. The weapon options may change, the points values may change but Nurgle will still be Nurgle.
Generic Chaos Marines would be useful too if you want to buy now.
And if they're not, you can either sell em on or get converting

But if you can....wait for the new codex...potentially everything could change. (I still think we'll be able to field plague marines though - same as noise marines, Berzerkers and Rubrics - they are too iconic to lose - But they might be called deathguard or something now))

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Fur is for the weak!

Last edited by Gret79; 07-13-12 at 03:55 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 07:58 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with everyone in this thread.

If you have the opportunity for a good deal and you'll enjoy repainting those used models, go for it!

I've been playing chaos since the early 90's and other than the travesty that was 3rd edition and the 3rd ed chaos codex I've always enjoyed my army. Granted I don't get to play much anymore, but I still sculpt, paint, convert, and buy stuff. Painting and converting is one of the best parts of the chaos army.

I think its pretty safe to buy any of the cult units they're not going anywhere. The nuts and bolts might change, but there will still be Khorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh, and Tzeentch cult troops. Same with obliterators, raptors, bikes, chosen, terminators, and possessed. In the worst case scenario you have to convert models that are no longer as good to be something else or horror of horrors, buy more models.

Chaos units rarely go out of the codex. I think the only unit I have that was removed was the original Blood Slaughterer, of which I have 3. BUT I can sub them in as Khornate themed obliterators in a heartbeat.

I have models stretching back to Rogue trader and I still use a lot of them. Chaos doesn't go out of fashion so much as get more varied and chaotic.

What I wouldn't do is go overly heavy in any one direction, unless you really like the models. If you're going to building an army in any way based on effectiveness than try to hedge your bets in the meantime before the new Chaos book comes out. Build only one or two of each unit or vehicle that you enjoy.

I doubt you'll even have the time to get that far before the book and the starter set are out and give you more concrete direction.

Cheers!

And feel free to PM me if you want to talk Chaos.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-12, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kreuger. My thinking is that no matter the changes, you can always say "this counts as x" I have a bunch of the old DE that I use for home games and stuff like that.

Not only that, its not like the actual marines are going to get written out. My main thing was I wanted power armor for once and I fell to chaos that way, I just didn't want to play loyalist this time, I have IG and tanks for that! I'll pm you Kreuger, thanks a bunch.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 04:19 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

if what you want is "fun" then just buy Whatever The Fuck you like; i would go with cool looking shit, so Terminators & possessed being high on that list. followed up by CSM squads - they are great boxes its sorta like a "make your own plastic Cult Troop box here" set than anything else.

mix in a couple boxes of SMs of *insert army here* and you have a good starter set for creating your own warband of fallen warriors from *chapter name here*.

Edit: also you could easily go the other route of just using CSM models for a different codex; Abaddon & his terminator elite guard (Logan Wing) for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode