Open letter to Tournament Organizers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Default Open letter to Tournament Organizers

My name is John Boulden, and I would like to ask anyone who organizes tournaments to please give 6th edition a chance before throwing out new mechanics. I understand that in the last 8 days plenty of people on this forum and other media have raged to the world about how the nids are useless and some other armies are next to useless. This in my opinion is short sighted and I urge you to give Games Workshop a chance.

I for one feel like the new rule set in addition to adding a cinematic feel to the game, I feel like it has added a reality level that has been unmatched in previous editions. I feel like the rage will die down about the changes, and I would like to publicly ask that the rules as written be maintained.

This is not to say that I am asking for allies and forts to be in every tournament. I understand that each area and every store has to cater to the people who spend money. This being said, I for one feel like Meta and Power gamers have been thrown, and over all this is the best thing to happen to balance in 6 years.

To this end I would like to list all of the things I ask of the collected tournament organizers and game clubs:

1. Do not allow the loudest or angriest voices to carry the day. If you want to change the rules as written please ensure everyone gets a say. Don't allow the tyranny of the minority.

2. Don't rise to the bait of how 'Army X, or Unit Y sucks now' and how this should push you to continue running the old edition.

That's all I ask. We as a community have had the book in our hands for all of 192 hours (at the time of writing) and the amount of apparent rage can be daunting. Here is how I see it, the people like me who are happy, don't really feel the need to vent happiness to the world. People who are happy are posting army lists, or cool new tactics. People who are rage quitting are doing just that.

For all of the store owners who may encounter this, let them go. I feel like the hobby as a whole will benefit and you may be able to pick up some collections for cheep to resell to the people who want to pick up some allies. Direct the rage quitters to Dust, or Warmahordes, or some other game that may suit them better.

The way I see it, all the way from Rouge Trader Warhammer 40K has always been trying to tell stories. GW and Black Library Have really put fluff first, competitive play second. They have always said it. I only have my 5th and 6th edition rule books in addition to some older codexes, but it seems to me GW has been telling us for 25 years that they are a role playing wargame first. I feel like some of us, and my self included, have tried to imprint what we want upon the game, and then rage to the high heavens when GW rebuffs us.

We has a whole hobby group will see a lot of nasty posts and comments. Sexuality, intelligence, blood line, and all other aspects of our person will be questioned if we stand up for GW and defend this edition. You may encounter this just by suggesting that we give this a chance. Stay strong.

Very Respectfully,
John Boulden

Post Script If you want to rage at me or question any of my characteristics please e-mail me at [email protected].

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 07:13 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Well said. I agree too. This edition is shaping up to be a more tactical one where you have to plan ahead more than before. MSU spam is no longer the winning tactic and Rhinos aren't automatic choices for every unit anymore.

And I for one, like it. There is a lot of stuff we haven't even gotten to see yet that are being hinted at in the new rules that will even further set this edition apart. There aren't just small changes this time around, but major changes to how turns play out and what you can bring in a list too. And with the change to the FOC chart for bigger games armies will have more room to grow too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Honestly, I know my OP dealt with the rules aspect, but one of the things that really bugs me is the notion that the allied FoC is only to make GW more money. In 5th ed I already had 3 2500+point armies, GW dosent need to introduce gimicks to get me to buy toys, I already do. I do see how some people might feel forced to take flyers in tourniments armies, but I think this ed will see the return of a more mixed tourni scene. I really hope the days of 4 GK and 4 Necron players at tourniments are long gone as other options become viable again.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 09:55 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Allies could be exploited by those with a leaning towards cheese but that's nothing new, must win at all costs players have always done that and always will. Allies may even be a cynical attempt by GW to sell more minis, shock horror, a business that wants you to spend money on their products

Allies also open up a whole load of new opportunities for people who want to field armies that are unique and interesting to play, to add a little fluff or to try something new. As I've already said, I don't think the new allies rules have gone far enough, it should have been made even more open than it is now and there should be greater flexibility with who can ally with who.

Ultimately this is a win win situation IMO, GW make some extra cash and we get to play some very interesting battles. As for the cries of "IT'S CHEESE!" if you don't like it there are a couple of things you can do, either refuse to play people with combination X,Y and Z, because they are dicks and a waste of time to play against. Or, if winning is really that important, field combination X,Y and Z too, that way it really is a test of your awesome skills as you're playing the same list as all the other cheese mongers.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 10:15 PM

Antonius's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yes, i think what this edition is trying to engender is an idea of "mixed tactics" or a "combined arms", covering all of the major game points (anti-mech, Anti horde, anti-elite, CC, AA support, Mobility, Air cover and durability), and i think that it could be abused by WAAC gamers, but then that's all they do - abuse the rules given in each edition (look at Min-max MSU Coteaz acolyte spam, for example). Infantry can contribute more to the game (and Box warfare =/= win anymore), and survive more , but mech units still have a place in the game. Methinks it will make gamers think long and hard about tactical playstyles beyond simple rush strategies (im considering blob IG as a full mech player - IG wall o'death - to bubblewrap my tanks for a cheapass meatshield that still has the capabilities to kicka yo' ass).

Anyway, there are "taxes" on the Allies to make sure that what you are doing is not exceptionally disproportionate. Take IG for example (one of the armies i believe might pop up as an ally more often now, due to its attractive armoured/air support/early AA capabilities), they impose a tax of at least 120pts before you get to the juicy stuff you really want (and so that they don't just squander a vast amount of points, you will inevitably tool them up), so this again eats into your force without adding what you really wanted (Heavy Support/ Fast Attack), and if you play MEQ as your main detachment, having minimum foot guard is almost handing your opponent a free kill.

Allies are only a buff if they provide something your army can't really do itself (or at least compensate for), but you will have to pay extra for such a privilege (if you're SM, why take Russ Demolishers as allies - Vindicators are similar enough in function, and cheaper too, giving you more pts to spend on your main (and hence focal) component of your list. If you don't want them to be the focus of your list, switch the allied and primary armies. And probably, most armies can find ways of compensating at least partly for weaknesses in their lists (like Ogryn/ Armoured Sentinels can alleviate CC issues somewhat).

General Antonius, Task force Iron Storm cmdr, Cadian 9th Mechanised Infantry Rgt.

WHAT, I CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN SIX MANTICORES!

I'm facing NECRONS
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 10:29 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

If tournament organisers are stupid enough to read the rage of the few and extrapolate that to the thoughts of the many they shouldn't be running events. They shouldn't even adjust the rules if 99% of hobbyists are ALL online ALL raging, as their local gamers may like the rules.

Organisers should feel free to adjust when they get local PERSONAL complaints in large numbers. Reading one solitary forum post then deciding to go back to 2nd ed is hardly very logical, is it?

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 10:47 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Darvaleth View Post
If tournament organisers are stupid enough to read the rage of the few and extrapolate that to the thoughts of the many they shouldn't be running events. They shouldn't even adjust the rules if 99% of hobbyists are ALL online ALL raging, as their local gamers may like the rules.
Raging and personal opinion is how Comp got started.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 10:51 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its a new system... people will rage about improvements for other armies, nerf to their own and general changes for a while... it'll take a while to see how it really plays.

Personally I think it may be quite a good edition of the game, although that's gut instinct so far, the only thing that's annoying me is that it feels that the writers had no inspiration so just kept opening the WFB BRB to find how to write a rule properly.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 01:14 PM

Calamari's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Its a new system... people will rage about improvements for other armies, nerf to their own and general changes for a while... it'll take a while to see how it really plays.

Personally I think it may be quite a good edition of the game, although that's gut instinct so far, the only thing that's annoying me is that it feels that the writers had no inspiration so just kept opening the WFB BRB to find how to write a rule properly.
You're forgetting all the Malifaux strategies and schemes that they crammed in there as well.

Follow mine and Jam's 40K delusions at:

crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-12, 01:33 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
You're forgetting all the Malifaux strategies and schemes that they crammed in there as well.
This is the sort of BS that the OP is on about.

Honestly it comes down to whining for whining sake, don't update the rules and they whine, do update the rules they whine, stay true to original they whine, take on board some of the good aspects of other games... you guessed it they whine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode