Full Disclosure. I have aprox 3000 points of IG and 3000 points of Orks. My tau is new so with war gear I might be able to hit 750.
I have read the rules (and relevent FAQs)twice now, and am going to play test a game tonight with myself (I may go blind...). After reading them the first time my first reactions were:
1. Looks like my kan wall sucks now
2. Good thing I have lots and lots of men
3. I'm going to have to think about positioning more now
4. How did the big choppa get missed!!! Now what the hell? Is it a power maul or a large chain sword?
Then I went to bed. Slept on it, got up this morning and read the rules again. Here are my new reactions.
1. This is going to be alot of fun now.
2. Shootie armies have a final defence line now and Tau might stop getting thier shit pushed in all the time.
3. My shoota boys are no longer useless!
I like alot of the rules, and alot of the new stuff is just plain awesome, even if it hurts me. I love the fact that if you cannot see something you cannot assult it. I like how if you want to shoot at me, you have to expose yourselve to fire. And I LOVE overwatch. Now my IG gun line wont compleatly fall apart when the BA or SW hit them, I can atleast turn the flash lights on for them. I mean a 20 man IG blob squad is going to output nearly 40 shots (38 if the laspistols are in range which they should be) when they get assulted and if I kill all of the damn orks comming in then so be it.
I see alot of the rules being good over all for the game, and I have noticed all of the ranting, and just kind of want to reach out to them folks and say its not all bad.
Not only that but Ork, Tau, BT, Chaos, Deamons and a few others are due a codex. So prior to the bitch fest, see if you can wait til your book comes out, GW may yet supprise you. I for one am sticking with GW and I feel like my 75 bucks was well spent.