I am happy so far with 6th ed - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Default I am happy so far with 6th ed

Full Disclosure. I have aprox 3000 points of IG and 3000 points of Orks. My tau is new so with war gear I might be able to hit 750.

I have read the rules (and relevent FAQs)twice now, and am going to play test a game tonight with myself (I may go blind...). After reading them the first time my first reactions were:

1. Looks like my kan wall sucks now
2. Good thing I have lots and lots of men
3. I'm going to have to think about positioning more now
4. How did the big choppa get missed!!! Now what the hell? Is it a power maul or a large chain sword?

Then I went to bed. Slept on it, got up this morning and read the rules again. Here are my new reactions.

1. This is going to be alot of fun now.
2. Shootie armies have a final defence line now and Tau might stop getting thier shit pushed in all the time.
3. My shoota boys are no longer useless!

I like alot of the rules, and alot of the new stuff is just plain awesome, even if it hurts me. I love the fact that if you cannot see something you cannot assult it. I like how if you want to shoot at me, you have to expose yourselve to fire. And I LOVE overwatch. Now my IG gun line wont compleatly fall apart when the BA or SW hit them, I can atleast turn the flash lights on for them. I mean a 20 man IG blob squad is going to output nearly 40 shots (38 if the laspistols are in range which they should be) when they get assulted and if I kill all of the damn orks comming in then so be it.

I see alot of the rules being good over all for the game, and I have noticed all of the ranting, and just kind of want to reach out to them folks and say its not all bad.

Not only that but Ork, Tau, BT, Chaos, Deamons and a few others are due a codex. So prior to the bitch fest, see if you can wait til your book comes out, GW may yet supprise you. I for one am sticking with GW and I feel like my 75 bucks was well spent.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 11:56 PM

VX485's Flag is: Australia

The big choppa was never a power weapon. It's a two handed close combat weapon that adds +2 strength to the user
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 12:11 AM

Shattertheirsky's Flag is: United Kingdom

tbh, we'll have to wait until the next round of codexes comes out before we can properly judge

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 03:37 AM
Embrace the Insanity

Insanity's Flag is: Australia

I agree, so any people are going on about how they are disappointed that their army didn't get enough changes. Your army wasn't getting changed, the way you play your army is what is changing. Wait until your codex gets updated.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX485 View Post
The big choppa was never a power weapon. It's a two handed close combat weapon that adds +2 strength to the user
True but alot of the ideas about what would be come of the Big Choppa for stats was kind of looking like it counting as a power maul for AP value, as both weapons have +2 Str. I feel like it might be the Heavy Chain Sword Pg 415 which has +2Str AP5. I would be way happy with that and it would make it awesome if you know most people in your area play guard or eldar!

I just finished my practice match and snap fire is boss. I blew up a trukk with snap fired plasmaguns and my Battle wagon snapfired the 2 big shootas I took into a command squad and killed 2 dudes. One 6s I would have to say it was pretty nice. I also rolled 2 out of my 4 IG snipers a 6 to hit so it was nice picking off a power klaw nob. Snipers make a hell of alot more money now that they can move and shoot and pick targets!

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 05:21 AM

lockeF's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity72 View Post
I agree, so any people are going on about how they are disappointed that their army didn't get enough changes. Your army wasn't getting changed, the way you play your army is what is changing. Wait until your codex gets updated.
This is completely true. I think people are disappointed though because a lot of the newest codexes were geared a bit towards 6th (like GK already having mastery level built into the dex). While older codexes are probably not going to see updates soon (i.e., Tau and BT). So they want their armies updated with FAQS and the new rulebook so that they get shiny new toys too. But what you say is spot on, the armies don't change, the way we play changes. I like that.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 07:19 AM

pantat's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeF View Post
But what you say is spot on, the armies don't change, the way we play changes. I like that.
Try telling this to the guy who used to play a full DOA BA army but now he has to have at least half his army on the table first!

Its good tho because it used to be annoying playing him as nothing bloody happened until about turn 3 usually!

I too think that 6th is awesome and wayyyy more fun than 5th was and wish everyone would just stop bitching about it already!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 07:36 AM

VX485's Flag is: Australia

I get what you mean about the big choppa now. I'm still waiting on my new rulebook to arrive in the mail (stupid stock delays!). From what i'm reading and have heard from my friends 6th is quite good. I'm happy that shooting has come back a bit - specially since i play shooty armies
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 02:00 PM

ohiocat110's Flag is: USA

I like what I've seen of the rules. It gets rid of a lot of spammy and exploitative game mechanics (like wound allocation) and adds in a lot of customization and opportunities for memorable game moments (like challenges).

I'm sure new forms of cheese and spam will be discovered, but overall 6th looks like a deep and balanced rules system.

One thing that concerns me is game length. With fortifications, warlord traits, challenges, etc...I can see games dragging out. Combat is somewhat more lethal, but the basic game structure just seems like it's going to take more time.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-12, 02:04 PM
Warlord of Vermin

TechPr1est's Flag is: Australia

jeez a moderator should just crete a brand new forum just for 6th edition yappin

liked your review type thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bruva Alfabusa
"My first model had so many layers of paint, that an excavation team could probably find fossils in it".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode