The Resurrection of White Dwarf? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Icon The Resurrection of White Dwarf?

This is, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant moves by GW in this new rulebook, from a business standpoint (allies and fortifications being the big ones). I am of course, referring to the mentions of including new fortification rules and unique terrain not in codexes, but in the once hallowed pages of everyone's favorite tree-killer. Now, we all know that White Dwarf has in recent years become a shadow of its former self, but it seems like GW is trying to revitalize it. This also adds increased credence to the rumors that GW may add ally only forces to WD, not to mention any number of other goodies that could start appearing. I never thought WD was worth the cost of admission, but if this speculation is true and GW actually turns the rag around, I may consider a subscription in the near future. Well played, GW... Well played.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 02:09 PM

Very true, I normally only buy white dwarf once every 6 months when something I am intereseted about pops up, I have found that there has been somthing interesting in every issue that I have wanted to look at for the past 7 months. I would loe to know if these rumours are true.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 02:20 PM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

I doubt anything good will suddenly crop up in wd just because of 6th, gw has had all of 5th to post good things in WD...and didn't, why change now?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 02:23 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_ninja View Post
I doubt anything good will suddenly crop up in wd just because of 6th, gw has had all of 5th to post good things in WD...and didn't, why change now?
Because WD isn't running red hot off the press, onto shelves and immediately into the shopping trolley?

Seems like a good business practice, reviewing whether a magazine that is simply an advertising catalogue earns more money than one that contributes value to a product.

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 02:25 PM
Banned

Yep, the reason it never ran hot off the press, on to shelves and into trollies is because it has been shit all through 5th, so nobody wanted it...plus being 4.50 for asswipe is allot of money
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 03:27 PM

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Yep, the reason it never ran hot off the press, on to shelves and into trollies is because it has been shit all through 5th, so nobody wanted it...plus being 4.50 for asswipe is allot of money
So you agree that WD doesn't sell well because there's nothing good in it, but don't believe it'll get any better because there's not been anything good in it for a while?

Do you really believe any company is stupid enough to employ an entire team of people to produce a magazine that's not selling, and wont try to do anything about it? (or is it solely GW who you give that little credit to?)

I'd love to see more new options appearing in WD - along with the old compendium/annuals they used to release that collected them together. It'd be a great way for GW to add options to armies that need a bit of a refresh without having to release a new codex. Can we start with releasing a collection of anti-aircraft guns for all the non-imperial races next month?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 03:39 PM
Banned

Not been a good article for a while?, are you even bothering to read what I said?, 5th didn't come out last month you know, its several years, and WD has had nothing decent for several years, so my opinion isn't based off wd being shit for a couple of months, its been shit for years, why change now?, they had an entire 40k edition to be good, they failed.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 03:53 PM

EmbraCraig's Flag is: Scotland

Quote:
Not been a good article for a while?, are you even bothering to read what I said?, 5th didn't come out last month you know, its several years, and WD has had nothing decent for several years, so my opinion isn't based off wd being shit for a couple of months, its been shit for years, why change now?, they had an entire 40k edition to be good, they failed.
"A while" is an undetermined period of time - I didn't say it meaning to imply a short period, just wanted to save myself retyping "for the entire of 5th edition". Yes, I read what you said.

I just don't get the attitude that comes from people around the internet that everything that GW ever does, or ever will be, is going to be bad (not directed at you specifically, you just happen to be the person who I was asking in this thread).

Is it really so difficult to believe that they recognise that they've gone wrong with WD over the last few years and might try to change it?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 04:30 PM
Banned

They should do yes, but they don't, it should not take 1 year for gw to learn from its cock ups, its been several years and they still haven't, any amount of years extra will make no difference
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-12, 04:48 PM
To The Dark Tower Came

The Gunslinger's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think it's really unfair to say there hasnt been a good article in wd, iv enjoyed several things in it and have found some of it usefull. And I don't see it as to expensive, Christ people will pay a lot more for a magazine with semi famous peoples tits in or furniture tips

Check out my Project Log: Forbidden Colours!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode