Thoughts on playing by yourself - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 02:08 AM

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

I play 40K on my own quite often (because once a week is not enough for this guy) What I tend to do is set up sort of like planet strike. I'll set up a fortress and defenders and then make a list and see how things go.

I did this last night with 1500 pt kan wall with some nob bikers and big meks against about 3000 points of IG with 100 guardsmen, 2 LR 3 Mecvet squads, and a shit ton of heavy weapon teams. I was trying to see how much my kan wall could put up with prior to this weekends event. Turns out losses were not the problem with the orks winning, getting over all of the wreckes was an issue.

Anyway I dont use solo play to test tatics per se but I use it to get deployment positioning right and to get that most important skill of eyeballing what 6 in looks like. Since I cant premeasure and trying to use body parts would just get weird its a good skill to know just by looking at a table how you have to move to get into charge range with out looking like an idiot when you are 1/4 in short!

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 10:14 AM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

One way to get over the temptation to favour one army is to split your collection in half and play a civil war style battle. If both armies are your favourite army then you will try your best with both.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 10:51 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

I've tried playing against myself.

Problem was that I could only guess what I was going to do half the time, and the other half of the time, he cheated.

:D

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 11:04 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obinhi View Post
I play 40K on my own quite often (because once a week is not enough for this guy) What I tend to do is set up sort of like planet strike. I'll set up a fortress and defenders and then make a list and see how things go.

I did this last night with 1500 pt kan wall with some nob bikers and big meks against about 3000 points of IG with 100 guardsmen, 2 LR 3 Mecvet squads, and a shit ton of heavy weapon teams. I was trying to see how much my kan wall could put up with prior to this weekends event. Turns out losses were not the problem with the orks winning, getting over all of the wreckes was an issue.

Anyway I dont use solo play to test tatics per se but I use it to get deployment positioning right and to get that most important skill of eyeballing what 6 in looks like. Since I cant premeasure and trying to use body parts would just get weird its a good skill to know just by looking at a table how you have to move to get into charge range with out looking like an idiot when you are 1/4 in short!
what i do is roughly know that from the tip of my thumb to my outstretched index finger is about 6" and use that as a rough gauge

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 11:10 AM

pantat's Flag is: United Kingdom

I've done it before when testing out lists and whatnot and managed to remain fair to both teams. I don't do it very often, but will see myself doing it a little bit in the near future just to get the hang of the rules. That's what I did when I first got into it and went to play in GW because I was too embarrased to turn up not knowing the rules. So.. I played until I didn't have to look at the charts or the rulebook anymore and understood all the USRs and vehicle rules etc. etc.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 12:02 PM

If you can find the old rules for Kill team from (3rd edition?) I believe that can be played alone fairly easily. Or modified to be so.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-12, 03:34 PM

jpunk's Flag is: United Kingdom

My thoughts?

Don't do it. You'll go blind.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

pchandler43's Flag is: USA

Sorry I never got back to you guys, been a little busy. Going to read over the replies now and reply myself. Thanks for the advice guys

"From the darkness we strike: fast and lethal, and by the time our foes can react... darkness there and nothing more."
Raven Guard saying

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 08:34 AM

stalarious's Flag is: Germany

Well its like playing chess by yourself if you can keep the tactics different or make scenerios that one side would have to "win" so that you can check tatics its possible but very difficult

So I am growing my enemy.....so what I gotta kill something.

CENTER][/CENTER]
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-12, 05:51 PM

TyphoidLmJ's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obinhi View Post

I did this last night with 1500 pt kan wall with some nob bikers and big meks against about 3000 points of IG with 100 guardsmen, 2 LR 3 Mecvet squads, and a shit ton of heavy weapon teams.
You cant get a better answer than that.

I also play Solo quite a bit, not weekly, but as much as possible. I found the best way is as described, to have one force either entrenched in a impregnable position, and assault it with everything you got, or to play as though a squad or two are storming a small space ship or large underground complex. Either way, the key for me has been to have one army's freedom of mobility tied down, either by a fortress or by limiting movement to corridors or groups of rooms.

The best inspiration I had for this kind of play was "Storm of Iron" an Iron Warriors novel about the siege of an IG planetary fortress. Setup correctly, these kinds of battles last forever, and can be really fun, since the home team really doesn't need much in the way of tactics, other than duck and cover, and annihilate anything that comes in range. A great book, re-invigorated my interest in playing with.... Er, by myself.

The easiest, fastest, cheapest is to play out a space hulk mission, so you can use just a flat map as the game board (The tiles from Warhammer Quest work well. As someone else referenced). To be real honest, the first few times I did it, I used the board from Clue. A few models and the clue board, and you are in business for an hour.

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with till you understand who's in rutting command here! -Jayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode