How many codices have you bought NEW in the past 5 years? READ FIRST POST!!! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

View Poll Results: How many codices have you bought in the past 5 years?
0 6 6.45%
1 10 10.75%
2 16 17.20%
3 15 16.13%
4 9 9.68%
5 10 10.75%
6 5 5.38%
7 5 5.38%
8 3 3.23%
9 2 2.15%
10 12 12.90%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Default How many codices have you bought NEW in the past 5 years? READ FIRST POST!!!

READ THIS FIRST

Rules:
~NEW GW Codex Books ONLY. Purchased from GW directly or a supplier.
~Real Codex Books ONLY
~Purchase in the past 5 years ONLY
~40k and/or Fantasy
~NO FW/IA Books as pricing differs.
~If you have really bought over 10 codices in the past 5 years, just vote 10 as it will not dramatically effect the average (I have tested).

Simple poll based on this thread HERE

How many 40K or Fantasy Codices have you purchased new, from GW or a supplier, in the past 5 years?

I will assume everyone has bought 1 rulebook, regardless if some people have bought fantasy, 40k, and LotR or any combination or none. Not everyone has a BRB, so using 1 rulebook should be sufficient.

counting from 0-10 because I had not originally factored in fantasy. If you have purchased more than 10 codices, please just choose 10. The focus zone is the average which will fall between 0-10.

For my own curiosity based on this idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolatemm View Post
I think a very different and interesting approach would be as follows:
1) Make all content digital
2) Develop an app for major OS (Apple, Windows, Android)
3) Make ALL digital content FREE, but...
4) Charge a monthly fee for access to ALL the content.

How often do we buy a codex? Personally, I have bought 2 codex and one rule book in the past 5 years. That's about $130 in book content. so $26 a year from me. I know a lot of people change armies more frequently and might get more (or A LOT more) books than I have, but thats not really the point of this. Lets say you spend twice as much as I have, so lets round to $50 a year on book content. What if GW had this service and charged... $5 a month for access to start. That's already $60 a year and over twice what I give them for books. But you do get more, ALL of the GW content for no additional price including future updates, releases, additions, etc. The fee would have to account for development of future GW content and the development/maintenance of the application itself. It may seem silly, but I don't know a single person that I game with that buys more than 1 codex a year, if any at all. Like I said before though, everyone is different. The flat fee for all content would average it out because some people would be spending less and some people would be spending more on a year-to-year basis.

Now what type of good things does this do for GW? Well, other than getting more money from me a year, it would help build and strengthen the community. New-comers would be able to catch-up on all the fluff quickly because all of the information is available to them. GW can upload other content like a newsletter and daily/weekly articles. They can make additions to content like they currently make in White Dwarf. It could evolve into a social media where gamers can stay in touch and organize events with their local stores. Event calendars can be created. You could have profiles and status when your available for a challenge. With all content being available, it is more likely that person would become interested in a new army. It would become more attractive for people to build a lot of smaller armies and then expand on the ones they like the most. All you would have to get is the models. No shipping, no international pricing or related taxes, less material used for physical books, greener company.

The variable could always differ. Maybe $10 a month. Maybe $5 a month and cheap addition costs per piece of content (like $5 for a codex).

To clarify again: this would be content accessed through an account and an application. Downloads would have to be a secure format (not PDF or something universal) and they would not go onto your device as individual files. The download would be attached to your account and only accessed through your account. This could be an online/offline application that required internet access to download/update content and access the community areas, but then the downloads would be available through the program offline just like Itunes, Amazon, Blockbuster, Kindle, etc.

Its not Itunes, its WarDocs.

This would be my dream community for GW because it makes it easy for players, easy for GW to update and release content, and it will help the community grow.

Sorry if it feels like I was rushing, because I was. Too many ideas flowing through my brain and I had to get them down. So please don't bash all the details, just think of the big picture of such a service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desolatemm View Post
...I strongly believe it would flatten out into a profit. Then the people who usually buy EVERY codex would be happy and get their content for a better price. Meanwhile a new-comer would have access to every armies rules and fluff and get into the hobby and the game much easier. You can can learn the rules for the different armies and that would facilitate faster and smoother games for new comers.
Last updated 6-15-2012
Average dollars spent per year on Codices ($33 each) and one rulebook ($60) over the 5 year period:

92 Votes $40.12 per year

Average amount of codices purchased per person: 4.26 in 5 years

"Bide your time and hold out hope"
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Last edited by Desolatemm; 06-19-12 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:35 PM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

I started playing about 3 years ago. I've bought The both the Ork Codex, and Necron Codex.

I technically I could say 3 Codices, because I have the old Necron one, but I bought that off the person I bought the lot of my Necrons from... and assumed you mean how many from GW

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Joka View Post
... and assumed you mean how many from GW
Yes, this is dealing strictly with money given to GW in some way. Either to GW directly or through a supplier.

Last edited by Desolatemm; 06-05-12 at 12:11 AM.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:48 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Damn, I counted one bought second-hand. Sorry. Taking it to 5 years, instead of the 4 discussed in previous thread means I add the Orks, Eldar and CSM Codexes to my previous tally. I erroneously added my second-hand Dark Angels Codex too - but since I omitted a friend's Dark Eldar Codex that I got in a trade, and of course the Sisters (in hindsight, I also bought the old Nids book about 6 months before it went out, so I bought well over ten from all sources in the last 5 years.)
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

No problem, I wasn't completely clear starting out. Counting all Codices regardless of the source would be a "worst case". Although it is not the desired statistic, it doesn't really hurt the numbers that much. Lets try to keep it to brand new, straight from the store, never pre-owned. Basically how much money from our wallets is going to GW for their written content.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 10:54 PM

Grogbart's Flag is: Germany

Started playing 4 years ago, playing Sisters of Battle, so NONE!
Why? Because there've never been any for me to buy!!!

But I had three different Versions of the Witch Hunters PDF Dex since then, here in Germany and I had the change to buy two White Dwarfs to get me a Sisters of Battle WDex, but I hesitated a bit too long and now it's no longer available!

Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 11:17 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Bought 1 back in 2005/6, and then none since, though I've inherited or purchased the rest from various other sources, including all the supplements like Apocalypse and Imperial Armour.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 11:20 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogbart View Post
Started playing 4 years ago, playing Sisters of Battle, so NONE!
Why? Because there've never been any for me to buy!!!

But I had three different Versions of the Witch Hunters PDF Dex since then, here in Germany and I had the change to buy two White Dwarfs to get me a Sisters of Battle WDex, but I hesitated a bit too long and now it's no longer available!
Issue 380 is still available in English, but it has only the *ahem* "fluff" and bestiary sections, not the Army List.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 11:27 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

11 Codexes (12 if you count the Sisters WD one), 2 BRBs (40K and Fantasy) and 6 Army books for Fantasy.

I like collecting them to understand how other armies play and what they bring to the table, as well as what kind of fluff they've got.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-04-12, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Hadn't thought about Fantasy, but it certainly counts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode